“Convenient and Friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
West Hempstead, New York
“Convenient and Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

My family and I stayed here a few nights during the Cherry Blossom Festival (too bad we missed the blossoms!). Staying in Arlington is a great alternative to overpriced DC hotels. We got a great rate on Expedia that was a FRACTION of a DC hotel. This HGI is a 3 minute walk from the Orange line. Easy ride into the city center for all sites.

Greg (the "WooHoo" guy referenced below) was the highlight of the hotel. My kids absolutely adored him. People may think he's a bit much, but everyone should be HALF as enthusiastic about their job. Keep up the good work.

Rooms were clean (we were in 501 on the end of the hallway). No elevator noise for me, but yes they flushing noise is annoying. Beds were too soft for my taste, but everyone else in my family thought they were OK. Linens were clean. On Saturday, however, after being in DC all day, we returned at 4 p.m to an unmade room. I realize that they work all day, but we wanted to relax and had to go back out to have the room serviced.

Ragtime (next door) has decent food, but definitely walk to Me Jana on Wilson for UNBELIEVABLE Lebanese food. (You need reservations.) Convenient to shopping. Was very pleased when I found a Whole Foods nearby!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
FOMHGI, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza, responded to this review, April 28, 2010
Dear momeees,

A special shout out from Greg - "Woohoo!" Delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed your time with us here in Arlington!

As you mentioned, Greg is one of our superstars at the front desk that makes for a truly unique and personal stay.

Me Jana is a great local restaurant. Next time you are in town, stop by the desk and we will be sure to give you tips on some more delicious options that are located a stone's throw away (kebabs, peruvian, top burgers, spanish tapas...you name it, Arlington's got it!)

I will be sure to follow up with housekeeping regarding your room not being made up also - I'm sorry we did not exceed your expectations on this day - I know how nice it is to come back from a day of sightseeing to a freshly made bed.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Orlando, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

We spent five nights here recently, and I would have to regard it as average. Front desk personnel is first rate....friendly, efficient, helpful. Location is what sells this hotel. A couple blocks from the Metro making it easy to get in and out of the District. Hotel is clean and generally up to HGI standards. The beds and pillows need updating. This hotel does not have the same sleep system as most HGI locations do these days. Beds are soft, and pillows leave a bit to be desired. If you are a light sleeper at all, you will wake each time someone in the hotel flushes. This is no joke as I have never heard a plumbing system so loud. BTW, I am a diamond member and spend more that 75 nights out each year. Housekeeping failed to notice we were three in the room, twice leaving only two towels. Not a big deal, but a bit of an inconvenience to ask for more towels, etc after a long day in the city. Restaurant service is friendly but slow. Hotel is a category 6 requiring 40,000 points / night, but is more equal to a category 4 at best. Again, location is the key to this hotel. If the metro rail is less important to you, the Shirlington location is a much better choice in the area.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Dear OFL,

Thanks for taking the time to write about us. It's so nice to hear the great comments on our front desk team, and I will be pleased to share your feedback.

I am unsure of the room type you stayed in, but all of our King Rooms have the fully adjustable Garden Sleep System Bed, which can be adjusted to your preference of a softer or firmer cushion. Our rooms with two queen beds are inner-spring mattresses.

I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon!

Ooltewah, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

I spent four nights here on a business trip. The hotel was conveniently located to plenty of decent places to eat, close to the Metro, and not far from some nice shopping too.

I was greeted by a VERY enthusiastic front desk worker. Everyone I have interacted with has been exceptionally polite. The "WooHoo" guy was just a bit much. *laugh*

I was placed in a room on the 8th floor (811) backing up to the elevators. If you have an option for a room that does not share a common wall - ask for it. When people started waking up and leaving about 05:00 my night was officially over, whether I wanted it to be or not.

The room was clean and not perfumed. I big bonus for someone who has allergies. I was surprised at the good sized dent in one wall with peeling wall paper. It seemed quite out of character for a hotel at this price. The house keeping crew was a bit over-zealous and threw away my key folder with my breakfast vouchers. The front desk assured me that they would be happy to reissue them, so no major harm done - just annoyance.

Speaking of breakfast - $12.95 if you don't pay attention at the time of booking and make sure your rate includes it. The difference in the room rate was about $4.00 per night. So if you are considering eating breakfast, go ahead and spring for the extra.

The hotel does have a shuttle van that can provide some basic transportation needs, within a limited distance from the hotel. The driver was polite and prompt. He knew exactly where I needed to go and wasted no time in getting me there.

All in all, this was a very pleasant stay. I would use the establishment again and recommend it to others without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
FOMHGI, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza, responded to this review, April 6, 2010
Dear AviationPro,

Thanks for reviewing our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you would recommend us, and pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I am sure many future travellers will find your review helpful.

I will ensure that our maintenance team check out the room you were in and follow up on the issues you pointed out.

Great tip about the breakfast - a prepaid breakfast is always the way to go and keeps you energized for day.

I hope to see you next time you are in town. Safe travels!

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

Recently spent 5 days in DC on business -- based staying at hotel on past reviews. Location of hotel (5 minutes to Metro) and close to many restaurants (Subway, Ragtime, many local eateries around 5/10 minute walk) made this a great choice. The hotel is nice and the staff goes out of their way to take care of you -- a good gym and a large room help add to the stay. I'd definitely stay here again.

I booked rate online and was later checking on my reservation and found same rate w/breakfast included -- so I changed. Recommend you look to do same as a free breakfast (cereal, eggs, bacon, fruit, waffles, etc.) is a nice touch if included. Not too sure I'd pay $12.00 for it though....I've seen more selections at an equal or less price at other places. They also serve dinner in the restaurant and also have a lounge for drinks -- I never did either of these so cannot comment. Since there is a great bar/restaurant (Ragtime) less than 30 yards out the front door (go right) and all the locals go there...that is where I had a couple of meals (very good).

When I go to DC I normally stay at either the Ritz (Pentagon City) or Marriott Crystal Gateway and both were booked -- so chose the Hilton. Will definitely add this to locations I recommend given its location and friendly staff. Complimetary internet and business office (to print ) also add to it's value.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
FOMHGI, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza, responded to this review, March 24, 2010
Dear FoxTraveler,

So glad you shared your experience on TripAdvisor, and even happier to hear that you are putting us on your DC list!

One hidden secret about our breakfast for next time: we will freshly cook eggs to your preference upon request. So if you like a ham, cheese & tomato omelette, simply ask your server and they will be happy to place your order.

Also, I may recommend that next time you're here, make your stays count by signing up to the free HHonors loyalty rewards program - our front desk team will be more than willing to assist.

Happy Travels, see you on your next trip to DC!

Basingstoke, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

Used this hotel for a business trip this time but also used it first for a vacation with my wife in November 2009. We had such a good experience in November that it was an easy choice to make for the business trip. As with many other reviews of this hotel I can say that the front desk staff are friendly and knowledgeable. We checked in on both occasions promptly. There was a slight hiccup this time in finding me a smoking room (unfortunately I am a nicotine addict) but it was resolved quickly.

The hotel is definitely in a good location for exploring Washington and is also useful if you have business in Central DC. The Metro station is close by and it takes about 20 minutes to get into the centre. The choice of restaurants in the surrounding area is brilliant and there is something to tempt most people. We found what I would consider to be one the best steak restaurants I've ever been to in the USA (and I've been to a few !). If you like steak try "Ray's The Steaks" at 2300 Wilson Blvd. They have an amazing range of steaks and at very reasonable prices. As you might expect they get busy so it might be advisable to book in advance.

Back to the hotel. What more can I say that hasn't been said in other reviews. Well, in future, I shall be using this hotel as my base whenever I visit Washington which I believe to be a good recomendation. Try it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed

Dear Popeye3,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences on TripAdvisor. So glad to hear that you are returning to us when you are in the area!

As you mentioned, Ray's the Steaks is recognised as one of the best steakhouses in the DC area. Next time you are here, you should try out his burger joint just down the road...Ray's Hellburgers (they're so good, Obama stops in for his burgers)!

Look forward to welcoming you back next time you're in Arlington.

Falls Church
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

I work locally and stayed 2 nights during snowmageddon. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, calming music was on at the end of each day, the heating was controllable in room, staff was great. The food was better than expected (try the salmon), and when the kitchen closed they recommended a close by eatery. I'll recommend to clients, or try again myself.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
FOMHGI, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza, responded to this review, February 19, 2010
Dear Gradyster,

So glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us - especially over what was a challenging time in the area with "Snowmageddon".

Our loyal staff put in so much extra effort to ensure the comfort of all our guests and they will be happy to hear that you appreciate it.

Loyalty and word of mouth is the one of the strongest tools that contributes to the success of our hotel - thank you for supporting local business!

Sterling,CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

This hotel is located next to the courthouse in Arlington. There are numerous excellent eateries within easy walking distance of the hotel. The Metro station is 1 block away making it an easy commute into downtown Washington D.C. and the sights.The hotel staff was pleasant and helpful. The rooms were very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed December 2009
Dear Sage54,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are indeed in such a great location in Arlington - right in the heart of all the action.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. Look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Front Office Manager

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza? Share your experiences!