“New Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, United States
“New Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We visit the DC area at least once a year, usually staying in Alexandria at the Embassy Suites (which we love). This time on a trip with my daughter after Christmas I got a really good rate at HGI Courthouse, so decided to stay there. Great decision. Upon check-in the lady at the front desk was very nice and helpful and arranged for us to have the courtsey shuttle take us to dinner. The driver was full of area information and very nice. The room is very spacious and the bed very comfortable. Although I have traveled to DC for years this is the first time that I have been to this area of Arlington. Absolutely love it. Very convenient to the Metro, good area restaurants and very clean and safe. Only minor complaint the room is not cleaned until late in the afternoon. Looking forward to staying there in 2013!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
David H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
i just wanted to say thank you so much for a fantastic review. Especially when you compare us so favorably to the more upscale Embassy Suites.
Thanks to your feedback we've also altered the way and order in which we clean stayover rooms vs. check out rooms so the next time your experience will be even better!

Hope to meet you when you come back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Beavercreek, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly! The good is the location, only two blocks away from the Metro. Also, the hotel is in pretty good shape. The breakfast staff is super, as is the Bar service. The Bad is attention to detail. Examples: We were there with a group of people attending the funeral of a friend at Arlington National Cemetary. Catering for the reception after the service was slipshod and resulted in many billing errors, The front desk staff ignored trash in the lobby on Saturday night (a case of "not my job" and the breakfast staff finally cleaned it up. The Ugly was housekeeping... Our room was never serviced on Saturday, even after several requests. When I complained to the Desk Person on Checkout on Sunday the resolution was to void the parking fee. Not a good substitute! I might stay there again, but only for the convienience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
David H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
To Our Valued Guest:

I truly apologize that this is your perception of our hotel because it seems that you are unaware of the truths behind your isssues...the fact that there were no billing errors, the scramble because the function was moved up an hour...but your perception does not diminish the fact that you did not enjoy yourself or our hotel. For that I am truly sorry.
Edmonds, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Hilton Garden Inn is the most consistent, best-managed product in the Hilton empire, with expectations firmly set and usually met. So it's unusual, I think, to come across one with such in-your-face service lapses.

My family and I stayed here for three nights over the Thanksgiving holiday. Housekeeping was incompetent, leaving the room untouched until late in the day, then mysteriously removing all our towels but not replacing them. The breakfast room was low-grade chaos, with frequent disappearances by the cook assigned to fix custom orders - and a bewildering dose of attitude / drama from her when my wife requested an egg-white omelet.

Most rooms have no view but face other high-rise apartment buildings. An unsightly scaffolding conceals the front facade from the street, and the garage is not secure -- a card-activated arm keeps unauthorized vehicles out, but anyone can just walk in there and prowl around.

As a crowning touch this hotel is often more expensive than other Hilton properties in Crystal City or elsewhere around town. It's a shame, as it's on the perimeter of the teeming, attractive Courthouse neighborhood and only five minutes' walk from Metro. But I would not be induced to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
David H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
I am ashamed and saddened that you had such an awful experience in our hotel. While it is certainly not typical of our hotel, I am sure it is of little comfort to you.
I would really appreciate, if you have just a moment, if you would give me a call so we can talk about the incident. This is definitely a moment of truth that I can use to train staffmembers and so prevent the same thing from happening again.
I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

This was my third time visiting the hotel and each time we had a great stay. The location of the hotel is great,the guest rooms are beautiful,the staff are very friendly especially Linda at the front desk,and we highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
David H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
What a great review. Thank you so much for recognizing our efforts to be your home away from home. Linda is thrilled and, you should know, she's now a supervisor.
She sends her best and is looking forward to your 4th, 5th, 6th...visits.
we hope to see you again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Hubby and I stayed three nights here to see the DC sites the weekend before Thanksgiving. (We did not eat in the hotel at all, so can't comment about that.) Had an 8th floor room, but no view unfortunately.THUMBS UP: * Very clean in room and common areas. * Staff we encountered were professionally pleasant. * Exceptionally comfortable, like-new, firm mattress. * Convenient, reasonably priced parking in hotel garage. * Easy, three-block walk to Metro station (first block uphill). Neighborhood a mix of local government buildings, corporate offices, and high rise residences. Good restaurants and some delis within easy walking distance. THUMBS DOWN, but not deal breakers: * Quirky off-street, pull-up area/driveway in front of hotel. * Constant low level, mechanical hum in room. * We were aggressively panhandled several times around the Metro station (but that's not the hotel's fault).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
David H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review. I do apologize for that low level hum. It's the renovation work that we're wrapping up so we can have the newest rooms in the city.
I am always thrilled when our guests enjoy our hotel, staff and location. Come back and see us soon.
Galax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located. There is a movie theater nearby, several resturants, and it is very close to the Courthouse stop on the metro. For shopping there is a small center near the theater and a larger one in Ballston which is two metro stops away. We have stayed here before (years ago) and find it very convenient to the metro to DC.
The hotel itself is clean and comfortable. The staff is super friendly. We arrived before check-in time. We were given a parking pass so we could leave our car at the hotel and go on into D.C.
There was some work being done to the front of the hotel but it was in no way an inconvenience for us. In fact I find this encouraging because it tells me that the company takes pride in its property.
If I have any criticism it would be that the directions from I66 that were on the confirmation were very unclear. There is a short distance between the exit and Glebe and you have to turn right onto Glebe THEN proceed to Wilson Blvd according to directions.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
David H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Wow! thank you so much for the wonderful endorsement. Yes, we are in the final stages of a $6 million renovation but at this point the work is almost invisible to our guests. So that you don't go wondering around, we have lists of attractions and even tickets to the DC tour available at the Front Desk and an army of people ready, willing and able to help you get to where you're going.
Hope to see you again.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was my 2nd stay at this hotel. Room is ample and quiet, bed was comfy, and free WiFi. Location is close to the Metro station orange line with easy access to DC. Getting a taxi will require a call or a walk to the Metro station. Plenty of dining options close by. I will definitely stay here next time.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
David H, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
I cannot begin to thank you enough for your kind words. We have finished a $6 million renovation and I am thrilled that our guests are showing their appreciation for the hard work and sacrifice.
The next time you are in Arlington, stop by my office and say hello. I would love to see you again.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza? Share your experiences!