“Cute Little Bakery” 4 of 5 stars

San Diego, California
31 attraction reviews
“Cute Little Bakery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I went to LeoNora because I was craving croissants and passing by Arlington. I'm glad I tried it because I pride myself in trying as many bakeries as I can in the DC metro area. LeoNora is a tiny store that has the kitchen and store in one room. One of the bakers simply stopped kneading dough to answer questions and cashier when my boyfriend and I were ready to go! I love being able to watch the action in the kitchen when I go to restaurants so this was neat.

So the baked goods - the guy working said their baguettes were the most popular item, and while they looked good, I wanted a croissant. So my BF and I each got croissants and a container of madeleines. The crossaints were more dense than I like but they're the best I've tasted in a long time. The madeleines were light and almost spongecake-like. I'll probably go back the next time a baguette craving hits!

Visited October 2012

Arlington, Virginia
8 attraction reviews
“a bit of Paris in Clarendon...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Leonora Gourmet Bakery is a wonderful new addition to the "Clarendon" neighborhood food scene in Arlington, Virginia. In this tiny bakery where everything is made on-site, the baguettes have a nice crust, chewy interior and the perfect amount of salt. The baker was trained in Paris, and her bread, cakes and pastries, which change daily, reflect her training and creativity. A chocolate cake with dulce de leche frosting was addictive. And the rasberry tarts were the perfect ending for a dinner party. The African truffles, like a cookie on the outside but with a dense chocolate interior, are great with tea. My husband and I keep reminding ourselves that, despite all the temptation, we better pace ourselves. We have long hoped for a (non-chain) bakery in the neighborhood, and we are thrilled that an amazing baker has settled in our midst.

Visited February 2012