“Great Hotel at a Reasonable Price” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Park, Stay & Go
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Longwood, Florida
“Great Hotel at a Reasonable Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2007

Stayed here in late January for 3 nights and was very pleased with the accommodation even though the elevator to the parking garage was not working during the entire stay. Because of that the hotel immediately gave us free parking (normally $10 a night). Luckily we had no problem going up and down the steps and saved $30.

The room was comfortable and looked out onto the street (which can be noisy at times). We liked the convenience to the Metro (they will even shuttle you to the Metro if you like but it is walkable) and it was a fairly easy drive to Old Town Alexandria for dinner. If you have a car it's definitely worth the trip to Old Town. We had dinner at Casablanca (a Moroccan restaurant - great atmosphere and not too expensive), Las Tapas (excellent place - one of my favorites when I'm in the area), and Geranio (continental Italian food - not cheap but very good food and good service).

Because these are junior suites you get a small refrigerator and a microwave. We like to have sodas on hand at night so the refrigerator came in handy.

The hotel breakfast was very good and well stocked with a variety of items. It's a great deal if you want to visit DC without the exorbitant prices.

Overall we had a very nice stay here and would come back again.

• Liked — Comfortable bed, convenience to Metro, internet access, breakfast
  • Disliked — Elevator not working
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Korean first
Hampton, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2007

WOW! Great price, great and safe location 2 blocks from the Metro, friendly staff, clean well stocked rooms, plush linens, HUGE breakfast with many hot items.....I can keep going on!!! This is one of the best overall stays I've ever had in a hotel (and I spend around 45 days a year in hotels!). In a nutshell...stay here, you will not be disappointed!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Huntington, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2007

I was booked at this property for three nights while in the DC area on business. The room was booked through corporate travel. I was provided with a standard king room for a rate of $199 per night. While this is high for a Hampton Inn, it is a good rate for the area around DC in prime lobbying season.

Access to the property is extremely easy. It is situated close to National Airport and is in the heart of Crystal City. It is a five-minute walk to the Crystal City Metro station and shopping areas with a great selection of well-known eateries. Free hotel shuttle service is available not only from the airport, but also anywhere within Crystal City. Average wait time for a shuttle was about seven minutes. Shuttle drivers were friendly and helpful.

The property is obviously well maintained. The exterior is clean, neat and attractive. Front door access is limited after 11:00 PM and rear door access is limited around the clock. Although this is a safe area, it appears that the management is attempting to provide security enhancements where possible.

The lobby area is very attractive and spacious. During my stay I noticed several people visiting in that area with plenty of room for quiet discussions/meetings.

The pool and fitness areas are small, but functional. All machines were operable and access is limited to registered guests.

Elevator access is convenient, but proved to be slow during peak morning times. There are two elevators to serve the property and waits in the AM turned out to be longer than I would have liked.

Check-in was flawless. All paperwork was prepared on my arrival and the room was ready prior to the stated check-in time.

The room was clean, spacious and attractive. Noise from nearby roadways, the airport, and adjacent rooms was well controlled. The bedding is typical for the upgrades that Hampton put through some eighteen months ago. The room featured a refrigerator and microwave, a nicely arranged sitting area, and a workspace with complimentary high-speed internet access. The only maintenance issue in the room was a broken desk chair. When I brought the issue to the attention of the front desk staff, the chair was replaced with a new one – in less than five minutes.

The morning breakfast is a little more upscale than that typically seen at a Hampton. Each morning brought a different hot item combined with the standard cereal, fruit, yogurt etc. The eating area was well staffed and consistently clean, even during peak times. This is a problem area for some properties, not so here.

The Hampton is associated with the adjacent Radisson. This relationship allows the Hampton to offer room service, which is a rarity in the chain. While I did not use the service, the listed prices were most reasonable and the selection was varied.

Checkout was easier than the flawless check-in. The statement was slid under my door and was correct. I returned the key card, verified the billing and was out the door.

This is a well managed, well maintained property. It should be considered for its convenience, cleanliness and price point.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Customer Service
  • Disliked — Long waits for elevators in peak morning times.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
South Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2006

Just returned from a 2-day, 1-night stay with my family in Washington DC. This was a last-minute get-away and we didn't make plans too far in advance because our son had been sick all last week. So, at the last minute, I scrambled to get a reservation at a good price and wanted it to include a nice breakfast so we wouldn't have to waste time to find a place to eat.

At first, I didn't even look into a Hampton Inn because I wanted something special for the one-night. But I found that this hotel was so highly rated by this message board and everything sounded great thru their website. I booked a suite online at a very good rate. It described a spacious suite containing 2 luxurious queen-sized beds....and a plush sofa bed. With an 11 year old and a 5'10" 13-year old, I was thrilled that each of them would have their own bed and my husband (who is 6'2") and I would also be comfortable in a queen-sized bed rather than a double. We were all excited about our get-away, especially staying in a suite with a bed for everyone.

This was not to be. We found that the suite had one bed (didn't notice if it was a queen or double) and a sofa. Not what we expected. The very nice gentleman at the desk apologized and told us that he would put us in a room with 2 queen-sized beds...at least they would be queen-sized. Again, not to be. They were both double/full-sized beds.

We asked another gentleman at the desk later that night and he said that the hotel only had doubles, no queens. Completely deceived by their description.

And this "hot breakfast" that they advertise is a joke. They offer one hot item...that's it. The rest is the same that they used to offer...variety of cereals, hard bagels, muffins and doughnuts. Hardly the breakfast we were planning on.

On a positive note...the hotel was much nicer looking than the typical Hampton Inns and it was very clean. The beds, although smaller than we had hoped for, were extremely comfortable. And the location is excellent, extremely convenient to the Metro and downtown.

• Liked — Location, Location, Location
  • Disliked — Didn't offer what was promised
  • Tips/Secrets — Take copies of all reservations, descriptions, etc.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2006

This review is based on an 8-night stay in late September and early October. The van hotel van arrived less than 15 minutes after my call from baggage claim. I was alone at check-in and receive the upgrade per my online check-in as an HHonors Gold member. The hotel was well kept-up and spotlessly clean. The elevators were noisy but fast.
The hotel room had modern, comfortable furnishings. The King bed came with 5 pillows of varying firmness. The hard-wired internet connection was broken, but everything else in good working order. My room faced Eads Street (the hotel is between Eads St and the Jefferson Highway), and there was no airport noise at all, and no noise from neighbors, but enough noise from Eads Street that I had to wear earplugs. The hotel is set back a little more from the Jefferson Highway, but I suspect that the rooms on the other side had traffic noise as well. The sink was outside the bathroom, which is the way I prefer it.
The breakfasts were excellent, with different hot selections almost every day (probably a 7-day rotation), and, unlike many Hampton Inns, the seating area was large enough to accommodate the size of the hotel. Free weekday newspapers are another nice touch.
The Crystal City metro stop is a 5-minute, 200 meter walk away. From there, it's a straight shot to the National Mall or the Convention Center (where I had business). It's also a stop from the Virginia Rail Express, which provides service to Union Station in two stops, or direct service to Manassas and Fredericksburg. There are also a number of dining choices within walking distance of the hotel.
The indoor pool and fitness facilities were adequate in size and kept in good running order. In the evening, the room key was needed to enter from Eads St. for security reasons.
I had some problems with the front desk service, but nothing serious. I had to call twice to get the internet connection fixed. I wasn't given a promised wake-up call one morning (fortunately it was a non-work day). Also, a front-desk employee failed to recognize me as a guest after my 5th day (and she was the one who checked me in!!).
In summary, while my stay wasn't perfect, I felt this was a comfortable, convenient, and affordable alternative to staying in the District.

• Liked — The breakfasts
  • Disliked — Somewhat scattered front-desk staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Buy a short-trip pass from the DC Metro
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2006

We stayed her for a three day weekend with two kids and had a great time. The Staff was wonderful. We got a great rate from the Hampton inn website. They did not tell us about the parking fee when we made the reservation so that was a surprise 10 dollars a day which still is not bad as other hotels in the area. The hotel is very clean. The kids enjoyed the pool. There's plenty of places to eat nearby and if the kids want fast food there's a Mcdonald's across the street in the crystal city mall. We will definitely stay here again on our next visit.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2006

We spent 4 nights at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Arlington, Virginia.

Even though this hotel was a 20-25 minute train ride into Washington, it was in a good location and around the corner from a variety of bars and restaurants in Crystal City. It was only a 5 minute walk away to the train station so it was easy to get into Washington to do some sightseeing. Having the airport only a 5-10 min shuttle ride away (which was offered free by the hotel) was also useful.

Our room was large, clean and comfortable and had a nice king size bed. The hotel also has laundry facilties (washer and dryer) which we took full advantage of.

Other pros for this hotel were the free internet access in the business centre and notably the complimentary full breakfast which was fantastic.

Our only criticism for this place was the front desk staff - we found them to be largely unhelpful and disinterested.

Overall we enjoyed our stay here and would come here again.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple