“Avoid the Comfort Inn Pentagon when traveling to DC” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #40 of 47 hotels in Arlington
salem, or
“Avoid the Comfort Inn Pentagon when traveling to DC”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

I recently booked a room at the Comfort Inn Pentagon in Arlington, VA. I went through Expedia Corporate as I always do, but when I arrived I was told I could not earn customer loyalty points because I booked through Expedia. This was a first to me as I am a frequent guest of Choice Hotels (3-5 nights per month) and have always booked at Expedia. The only reason I choose the hotel was it was a Choice Hotel and to be told "no loyalty points" began a very terrible hotel experience. I travel frequently and have stayed at all classes of hotels. This was most definitely my worst experience.

The room temperature was difficult to control, which makes things very uncomforatable in the humid June weather. The water both smelled and tasted very metallic. I got out of the shower smelling worse then when I went in and was unable to drink any water in the room. The room was also very run down, which normally does not bother me but this room also was not clean. The bathtub had a ring and I found myself wearing my shoes into the shower. EWWWWW!!!!

I tried both with Expedia and Choice Hotels to cancel the reservation and go to another hotel. Although, they insist they have a 100% satisfaction gaurantee, I was forced to maintain the reservation and paid the full rate. Because I received no assistance whatsoever from Choice Hotel's "Customer Relations" Dept, nor no effort to correct the situation from the employee staff, I will never stay at another Choice Hotel again.

• Liked — Not much
  • Disliked — The poor water quality
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

We could not have been more pleased with our hotel stay at Comfort Inn at the Pentagon. My husband and I, with our 4 kids, stayed in one of their suites for 4 nights. The room was nice and big, the beds comfortable and the breakfast plentiful and good!!!

We had no trouble with their shuttle services and didn't have to wait long for them when leaving the hotel or waiting to be picked up! Before booking here, I read the reviews and some had mixed reviews about the place. Because of that, I almost did not book at this hotel, but believe me, I AM SO VERY GLAD THAT WE DID!!!

• Liked — friendly, helpful staff, great breakfast buffet, and nice bedroom
  • Disliked — wasn't anything that we didn't like
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Milpitas, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

Stayed here as all other hotels near Crystal City either full or too expensive. Comfort Inn had rooms for reasonable price. Hotel is a little old and is showing it's age, rooms could use a remodel but was clean, room was comfortable and no major complaints, just some wear and tear. Wireless Internet worked great. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Ran free shuttle to Pentagon City which is a Metro stop and shopping mall. Shuttle starts running at 6 am so had to take taxi to airport to catch early morning flight, taxi was about $10. Restaurant in hotel was okay, nothing gourmet and menu unimagative, choice of garden or caseaur salad, sandwiches, burgers, steak, fish and chips. Continental breakfast or hot breakfast included depending on room rate? I booked at a corporate rate and got a hot breakfast. Okay for a budget hotel.

• Liked — Hotel was fully non-smoking
  • Disliked — looked a little rundown
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2007

I originally had a reservation at the Best Western for myself and my parents. My father is recently disabled and in a wheelchair. I requested a first floor room and a shower stool. They did not have a first floor room available and suggested I try the Comfort Inn which had the same owner. I went accross the parking lot to the Comfort Inn and spoke with Carlos at the front desk. Although it was an extremely busy week and the hotel was completely booked he was able to find us a room. When we called the next morning to request the shower stool the woman at the front desk had no idea what I was talking about. She was not very helpful or simpathetic. They never did locate the shower stool. My parents had to switch to the BW a few days later and were happy with the room but overall the stay was average. The staff at the Comfort Inn, Carlos especially, were very helpful. If you or someone you are staying with have disabilty issues I suggest you call ahead of time and speak with someone directly. They were not exactly on the ball or simpathetic, the exception being Carlos and the other nightime staff.

• Liked — Night staff
  • Disliked — Disability accomidations
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
mass
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2007

Understand that the Comfort Inn and Best Western share the same space, but have their own respective areas. The Comfort Inn was the place to stay. We actually booked at the Best Western. We arrived and there was no AC (actually they said it was not turned on throughout the hotel, but the heat was on). After and hour of arguing with the front desk our money was refunded in full, and we walked across the lot to the Comfort Inn. Our rooms were clean, and felt like a 5 star compared to our first experience. The breakfast was one of the best we have had. In addition to the normal continental items, they offered a hot breakfast for 3.95. These large portions include eggs, bacon, sausage and home fries. Staff was polite and accommodating. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for a week at the end of June. When we first entered the room, we were welcomed by an air conditioner in fine working condition, which we used often during our hot and muggy trip. The room was tidy and and the bathroom was freshly disinfected and tidy as well. It was also nice to have two sinks- one inside the bathroom and one outside. All appliances (TV, coffee-maker) were in fine working condition. The beds were comfortable and seemed fresh and clean. The only downside to the room was that we were able to hear the residents of the room next door when they came into their room (which was usually around midnight), but this wasn't a major disturbance. The rest of the hotel wasn't as great as the room but it made a formidable attempt. The continental breakfast was convenient, but tickets are required and are supplied at check-in (so don't lose them!). The variety of food less than average and, although the dining area was moderately roomy, it was always a task to find an open table. I guess that helped us get used to the crowds in DC, but the dining staff didn't seem too concerned about finding us a suitable eating space. Also, don't rely on the shuttle. Theoretically, it would come every half hour. We waited for about 45 minutes, and when it did arrive, only about half of the waiting crowd would fit inside the 10-seat van. Only one of the two elevators worked all the time. But overall, it was a decent stay.

• Liked — the cleanliness of the room
  • Disliked — the efficiency of the shuttle bus
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
here
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2006

driving into the property, the place had me wondering about not even checking in.. Located just off the exit from I-395 it was close enough to the highway but we nearly got wrecked by the impatient driver behind us when we turned to make the left into the lot.. The Best Western that is affiliated with the comfort Inn completely obscures the view of the C.I, after a couple of passes throught the lot which was nearly empty we found the CI located way in the back and checked in. We choose this place due to late booking and that two beds were available and many other much nicer places, had been booked.. Entering our room there was an ODOR of unknow nature but it wasnt good, not horrible , just kind of there. The beds were
some what soft and had reached that point where the body winds up lodged in the center of the mattress and stays in the rut.
The rooms were clean enough and the staff was friendly but of course spoke almost NO English. The bathroom sink only had hot water working, if you needed cold water you had to use the vanity table sink. There were also black stains around the edges of the tub that looked as if they had just been covered by another layer of caulk The FREE continental breakfst was par for the course nothing special but they did offer a" Paid" hot breakfast of eggs scrambled?? bacon potatoes and sausage links for $3.95 & tax.. The eggs seemed to be either powdered or vulcanized rubber I wasnt feeling brave enough for a second bite.. The sausage link must get re-heated every day
I couldnt even stick a fork in them.. The bacon and potatoes were decent at least..The vending machines were mostly useless since they were either sold out or wouldnt take my dollar bills(at least they didnt take the money and not deliver) and the fitness center was just a small closet that they put a stairclimber and astationary bike in.
Driving into DC was fairly easy but using the Metro system from here was nasty.. 90 dergree heat and high humidity, a four block walk to the bus (1/2 hour wait) and my clothes are drenched, 30 minutes later we are at the train for another20 minute ride to the DC area..nearly a 2 hour trip(with waiting time for connections) on mass transit that would take 12 minutes by car.. we couldnt depend on the connections we needed to be available in the evening when the system shuts down so we ended up going back for the car anyway!!! before Iwould stay here again I would pay for 2 suites in a nicer(more expensive) place in crystal city

Stayed August 2006

Been to Comfort Inn Pentagon City? Share your experiences!