“NOPE. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. ” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #41 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
New York
“NOPE. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This will be long, but bear with me please:

My boyfriend and I stayed here last night, so the experience is fresh in our minds and continues to eat away at us both.

We booked a room specifically to watch President Obama's final State of the Union speech. We had spent the last two days in the DC area at a beautiful Hyatt hotel in Sterling, VA, and were overall very satisfied with our stay. However, when we decided to extend our stay in the area, prices for an additional night at the Hyatt had skyrocketed. We decided to spend the night elsewhere.

My boyfriend and I booked a standard room at the Comfort Inn on Glebe Road and paid about $100. We thought it was pricey, but we're not surprised or discouraged. After all, we were reserving a hotel room on State of the Union night in the Washington DC area. While most other hotels were charging upwards of $150, we were happy to have found a comparatively good deal.

We arrived that evening and checked in to take a quick nap. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, other than the particularly loud young family in the room next door. They had several excitable children that made a considerable amount of noise, but we laughed about it and went about our business. After about an hour, the lights and television suddenly shut off. At first, we thought that one of the young children next door had accidentally flipped a switch and left us without power for a few moments. We quickly realized that this was not the case. After about twenty minutes, we emerged from our room to an almost completely dark hallway. Some other guests were already standing outside, confused and frustrated. It seemed that the whole hotel had run out of power.

At that point, my boyfriend and I (as well as half a dozen other guests) took the maintenance stairs to the main lobby. There we found several other families, as well as the desk clerk and manager, who were busy reassuring everyone that they were 'working on it', but not offering any alternative accommodations or services. For the record, the girl at the desk (I believe her name was Ibanzu) was very kind and very professional the entire time, and truly tried her hardest to make the incident easier on everyone there. She even went out of her way to record all of our room numbers individually so that she could pass them on to the manager later on.

It was already about 7:45, and the lack of power and heat in the building on a 20 degree night began to worry us. We decided that we'd rather not sit and wait, and got in our car to pick up dinner.

About 45 minutes later, we returned, dinner in hand, to find the still-dark hotel. The crowd in he lobby had grown, and the other guests were starting to become impatient. At that point, we were pretty annoyed. Of course we understood that the power outage was no one's FAULT, but it was getting late and we were starting to wonder whether or not we'd even have a decent place to stay that night. We decided to sit and wait it out in our warm car. Twenty minutes later, the lights flickered on in the building. The issue had apparently been resolved, and we were told we could go back upstairs and go about our business.

The night wasn't over yet. A few hours later, just before midnight, the power went out again. We were fed up. It was late, freezing cold outside, and we were stuck without electricity, heat, wifi, TV, a phone, hot water, and light. The darkness lasted about fifteen minutes until the lights flickered back on again. For the second time, we trekked downstairs to speak to the manager. We were determined to get out of there and into some other affiliated hotel as soon as possible.

Evidently, this did not happen. Management was nowhere to be found, so we climbed back up to the fifth floor and waited the nightmare out. Over the course of the night, the power and electricity flickered on and off several more times. However, the best surprise was waiting for us in the morning. Tucked neatly under the door, we found the $100+ invoice. Management had come by in the middle of the night to leave us this subtle reminder that we were still expected to pay full price despite not receiving a fraction of the services or experience we paid for. At that point, we got really angry. Neither my boyfriend nor I are easily bothered people, and neither of us would EVER give a customer service worker a hard time for something they could not control. This was just unbelievable, though.

We gathered our things and took the stairs down from the fifth floor where we found the manager, who smugly asked us how our stay was.
We expressed our disappointment, and our frustration in the expectation that we would pay full price for an experience like the one we had. He quickly brushed it off, and asked if we enjoyed breakfast.

We replied that we didn't get to have breakfast because we'd spent the whole night preoccupied with the other issues and were too exhausted to wake up in time.

He asked if he could get us some free breakfast.

No, we would not be taking any 'free' breakfast. We paid for the breakfast. It was not 'free', and we didn't want it.

And just like that, he walked off. We were checked out by the desk clerk (who had not been there the night before), and were forced to pay full price.

Before I end this, I should note that we spoke to their corporate offices, and were told we could expect a call from the manager by Tuesday morning, three days from now. If we don't receive one, we were told to call their offices back to try to negotiate a refund or price reduction through corporate themselves. We'll see how that goes, but I honestly don't expect even a courtesy call from the manager. I hope he proves us wrong, and I'll edit this accordingly if we do.

To conclude: don't stay here. Just don't do it. Spend the extra $50, save yourself the aggravation, and book a room somewhere else. I can't stress it enough. Don't. Do. It.

Stayed January 2016, traveled as a couple
Ajay K, General Manager at Comfort Inn Pentagon City, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Sir/Madem,

On behalf of our entire team I would like to apologize to you for your inconvenience,and It was very unfortunate that not only our Hotel but entire block we are on lost power. As our promise of guest security and safety we had our generator on to provide emergency light. Our General Manager and staff were available and working hard for you. Thanks for knowledge our front desk staff for there excellent work and patience. We are very happy to see all guest including you were safe and secure at our Hotel. Power outage and other act of god did not deter our staff and General Manager to ensure your safety and security. I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations in these situations.

I wanted you to know that we are minutes away from DCA Regan National Airport, we offer free shuttle from DCA Airport and Pentagon Metro Station. Bus for D.C. Tour picks up from our door steps. We also have Restaurant/Bar, Gift Shop, Exercise room and a seasonal Pool on property.

Niagara Falls, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Rooms were clean, beds were comfortable, place was reasonably quiet. The breakfast buffet was a pleasant surprise, lots of choices.
For the area the price was very good especially with free parking. Nothing fancy, but a good value. I would stay again.

Stayed January 2016, traveled with family
Ajay K, General Manager at Comfort Inn Pentagon City, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2016

I stayed here for one night using my Choice Rewards Points, so I can't really comment on the price. However, I was generally happy with every other aspect of my stay here. I called the hotel from Reagan Airport and asked for a shuttle. The shuttle driver arrived promptly within 15 minutes and loaded my bags into the van for me. My room was on the 5th floor. My friend and I had a double room and it was a nice size. Plenty of room to move around and store our suitcases. Yes, like other reviewers have noted, it does need an update (which is why I didnt give it a 5) but the bed was clean and comfortable and the shower had plenty of hot water and pressure. Breakfast in the morning was typical for a Comfort Inn (make your own waffles, eggs, sausage, bagels, pastries, cereals, juices, and coffee). The major downside to this hotel is that it's not close to a Metro station. If it were a block or two from a station it would be the perfect base to explore DC.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator (less foot traffic)
  • Stayed December 2015, traveled with friends
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for staying at our Hotel. We value you comments and our commitment is your satisfaction. Happy to know that you liked our Hotel, we are minutes away from DCA Regan National Airport, we offer free shuttle from DCA Airport and Pentagon Metro Station. Big Bus D.C. Tour picks up from our door steps. We also have Restaurant/Bar, Gift Shop, Exercise room and a seasonal Pool on property. We have expanded our breakfast, we would like you to come back and experience it.

Always improving our-self for your satisfaction

New Delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2015

A budget hotel with a good breakfast with hot items like Scrambelled eggs and sausages. The complimentary shuttle to the Pentagon city mall and the DCA airport is certainly of great help. You can take the Metro from the Pentagon city Metro or can shop from the Mall which has almost all the brands and a large food court. I stayed there for a night since I had an early morning flight from DCA - it was the best option available on travel sites that day as per my requirements.

Room Tip: Its quiet and serene in the upper floors.
  • Stayed November 2015, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Suzette P, General Manager at Comfort Inn Pentagon City, responded to this review, December 1, 2015

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2015

I stayed in this very nice hotel in early November 2015, and had a room on the 6th floor.
I found the staff to be extremely polite and very very well mannered and helpful.
I have read the other reviews regarding maybe some low level noise from I-395, but to be honest I didn't notice it, and the evening meal I had there was tasty and reasonably priced. I had the Salmon dish.
The staff in passing were very much on the 'customer first' mentality, which is what I would expect, but to even refuse to go into a lift, until it is empty was beyond courtesy.
I found the bed comfortable, the room was spotless, and i was not expecting a fridge and microwave in the room, what a bonus.
I am planning a trip to Washington in 2017 for a few days before going to down to Florida, and I can honestly say that I will staying at this hotel without a shadow of doubt.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2015, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
Suzette P, General Manager at Comfort Inn Pentagon City, responded to this review, November 23, 2015

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2015

The staff at the hotel is very nice. The room was a nice size. The bed was phenomenal and the sheets were very clean (pristine even). There is a restaurant on the premises that has a fairly decent menu. It is also where the breakfast buffet is had. The breakfast buffet is great: bacon, eggs, waffles, juices, fruit, yogurt, breads, etc. The location is very close to I-395. There are not too many places to eat close by but there is a Giant grocery store close (15 minute walk). Public transportation (bus line) is right around the corner. The gym is very small (only a treadmill and bike - both very old) but they tell you that you can go next door to the Best Western and use their gym. There is a shuttle to and from the airport but note that, to get the shuttle from the airport, you need to schedule it! It does not come automatically like some of the other hotel shuttles. Also, the shuttle service does not begin until 6 a.m. so if you need to get to the airport before then you will have to take a cab (about $20). The hotel is in an area that has a path for running or biking a short distance away. Overall, a great stay.

Room Tip: Ryder Truck depot on one side of the building. If your room is on that side, you will hear trucks mo...
  • Stayed November 2015, traveled on business
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 stars
Suzette P, General Manager at Comfort Inn Pentagon City, responded to this review, November 16, 2015

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2015

Not a bad place to stay, convenient to I-395 and DC. A little too close to 395 at times due to some low level noise, but nothing too bad. Rooms were extremely clean, breakfast was about average for Comfort Inn stays. Staff was extremely helpful from the time we checked in until we checked out.

• Stayed October 2015, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
Suzette P, General Manager at Comfort Inn Pentagon City, responded to this review, November 9, 2015
Dear Shelby,

Your feedback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.
We hope to see you again soon!