“nightmare gone good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
mass
“nightmare gone good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2007

Understand that the Comfort Inn and Best Western share the same space, but have their own respective areas. The Comfort Inn was the place to stay. We actually booked at the Best Western. We arrived and there was no AC (actually they said it was not turned on throughout the hotel, but the heat was on). After and hour of arguing with the front desk our money was refunded in full, and we walked across the lot to the Comfort Inn. Our rooms were clean, and felt like a 5 star compared to our first experience. The breakfast was one of the best we have had. In addition to the normal continental items, they offered a hot breakfast for 3.95. These large portions include eggs, bacon, sausage and home fries. Staff was polite and accommodating. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for a week at the end of June. When we first entered the room, we were welcomed by an air conditioner in fine working condition, which we used often during our hot and muggy trip. The room was tidy and and the bathroom was freshly disinfected and tidy as well. It was also nice to have two sinks- one inside the bathroom and one outside. All appliances (TV, coffee-maker) were in fine working condition. The beds were comfortable and seemed fresh and clean. The only downside to the room was that we were able to hear the residents of the room next door when they came into their room (which was usually around midnight), but this wasn't a major disturbance. The rest of the hotel wasn't as great as the room but it made a formidable attempt. The continental breakfast was convenient, but tickets are required and are supplied at check-in (so don't lose them!). The variety of food less than average and, although the dining area was moderately roomy, it was always a task to find an open table. I guess that helped us get used to the crowds in DC, but the dining staff didn't seem too concerned about finding us a suitable eating space. Also, don't rely on the shuttle. Theoretically, it would come every half hour. We waited for about 45 minutes, and when it did arrive, only about half of the waiting crowd would fit inside the 10-seat van. Only one of the two elevators worked all the time. But overall, it was a decent stay.

• Liked — the cleanliness of the room
  • Disliked — the efficiency of the shuttle bus
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
here
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2006

driving into the property, the place had me wondering about not even checking in.. Located just off the exit from I-395 it was close enough to the highway but we nearly got wrecked by the impatient driver behind us when we turned to make the left into the lot.. The Best Western that is affiliated with the comfort Inn completely obscures the view of the C.I, after a couple of passes throught the lot which was nearly empty we found the CI located way in the back and checked in. We choose this place due to late booking and that two beds were available and many other much nicer places, had been booked.. Entering our room there was an ODOR of unknow nature but it wasnt good, not horrible , just kind of there. The beds were
some what soft and had reached that point where the body winds up lodged in the center of the mattress and stays in the rut.
The rooms were clean enough and the staff was friendly but of course spoke almost NO English. The bathroom sink only had hot water working, if you needed cold water you had to use the vanity table sink. There were also black stains around the edges of the tub that looked as if they had just been covered by another layer of caulk The FREE continental breakfst was par for the course nothing special but they did offer a" Paid" hot breakfast of eggs scrambled?? bacon potatoes and sausage links for $3.95 & tax.. The eggs seemed to be either powdered or vulcanized rubber I wasnt feeling brave enough for a second bite.. The sausage link must get re-heated every day
I couldnt even stick a fork in them.. The bacon and potatoes were decent at least..The vending machines were mostly useless since they were either sold out or wouldnt take my dollar bills(at least they didnt take the money and not deliver) and the fitness center was just a small closet that they put a stairclimber and astationary bike in.
Driving into DC was fairly easy but using the Metro system from here was nasty.. 90 dergree heat and high humidity, a four block walk to the bus (1/2 hour wait) and my clothes are drenched, 30 minutes later we are at the train for another20 minute ride to the DC area..nearly a 2 hour trip(with waiting time for connections) on mass transit that would take 12 minutes by car.. we couldnt depend on the connections we needed to be available in the evening when the system shuts down so we ended up going back for the car anyway!!! before Iwould stay here again I would pay for 2 suites in a nicer(more expensive) place in crystal city

Stayed August 2006
New Port Richey, Fl.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

If one were blindfolded, taken on a plane to Washington and finally to this place, they would certainly believe they were in a "third world" country after the blindfold was lifted. Dirty, one of two elevators didn't work, waffle iron broken, toaster broken. Each day, upon entering the Bar (doubling as the Breakfast area) we were quickly approached by the "person" on duty and was told, in barely understandable english, that we were only entitled to the "cold" foods as opposed to the hot eggs and meats since we bore the yellow coupons entitling us to the "free" continental breakfast. The hotel was hard to find since it is tucked behind a Best Western on S. Glebe Rd.. The sign is very small and of course, we past it and had to double back. The parking is very limited and be prepard for dings and dents in your doors since the spaces are for scooters as opposed to cars. Many fo the rooms in the Best Western right next door were being overhauled with new bedding so the old bedding was strewn all over the place lending to the overall "Third World" effect. You couldn't even pull in front of the hotel to let people out of your car and prevent them from getting wet from the rain, because their shuttle vehicle (a real clunker) was always in the way. All this for $189 a night. What a disaster!

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

On the 10th and 11th of May, 2006, my wife and I stayed at the Comfort Inn at Arlington, VA at the quoted rate of $179.00 per night. With our AAA card the price was lowered to $169.00. This was put on our visa card. Arriving home on the26th of May, our bankstatement was waiting for us with Comfort Inns' billing included. The amount was $558.96. What a difference from what we were quoted. It seems that there was either an honest mistake made or I was stiffed. Unfortuneately, with all the travels we did and stop overs to our destination of Boston, I have mislaid the bill. Infact, I'm not sure whether or not I received a copy. Hopefully you will look into this and come to a decision that will be benificial to us both. Unfortuneately, I can not send the amount stated on our band statement, but should you choose to see it, send me the address to where it should be mailed to.

You can imagine the shock we received on seeing the amount of $558.96.

Thank you for your concern in this matter.

Lawrence Volkert

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2006

For the money, $186, this Comfort Inn was the worst that I have stayed at. Shuttle service was spotty, Internet Work Station printer was out of order, coffee maker in the room was out of order, Lobby Courtesy Coffee pots were empty by 9:30 a.m. and we were told the Breakfast Room was closed at 9:50 a.m., when the posted closing time was 10:00 a.m.
I travel frequently for business and I would never again stay at this hotel, or the Best Western adjacent to it, nor would I recommend it to colleagues.

Stayed May 2006
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2006

I was travelling to Florida and had to connect in DC, so I decided to break my journey there for a couple of days and this was the only hotel which could fit me in at short notice. It's not in a great position if you're thinking of using it as a base for sight-seeing in DC and I gather from friends who live locally, that it's not an area where you'd want to be wandering around after dark. I didn't use the shuttle, but the few times I noticed it arriving and departing, it seemed to run pretty much to time and there were seats available.

My room was clean and comfortable and was of a rather better standard than I would expect of a hotel of this class. I was impressed by the size and the fact that I had a whirlpool bath at no extra cost. I was also surprised to learn that the high-speed internet connection was free to use, as I've always been charged before. One small niggle was that the in-room safe wouldn't lock and I had to wait until the following day for the General Manager (the only person who had spare keys) to come and fix it. That being said, the rest of the front desk staff were polite and helpful and seemed genuinely enbarrassed that they had to keep me waiting for the repair.

The only thing that let this hotel down in my view is the restaurant. A free continental breakfast was included in my rate, but I decided to upgrade to the hot breakfast one morning instead. I can honestly say it was the worst food I've ever been offered in a hotel. Apart from the fact that it was almost cold when presented to me, the french toast was swimming in grease, the eggs were barely cooked and the bacon was so over-cooked that it was black. The restaurant staff are not the politest people I've ever met either and at least one used the old I-don't-speak-sufficient-English trick when challenged about his attitude.

All-in-all, I would reccommend this hotel as somewhere to stay - and would stay there again myself - as I found it good value-for-money compared with other hotels in that area I've used. I'll just make sure that I eat somewhere else!

• Stayed February 2006

Been to Comfort Inn Pentagon City? Share your experiences!