“error in billing” 2 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #39 of 47 hotels in Arlington
“error in billing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

On the 10th and 11th of May, 2006, my wife and I stayed at the Comfort Inn at Arlington, VA at the quoted rate of $179.00 per night. With our AAA card the price was lowered to $169.00. This was put on our visa card. Arriving home on the26th of May, our bankstatement was waiting for us with Comfort Inns' billing included. The amount was $558.96. What a difference from what we were quoted. It seems that there was either an honest mistake made or I was stiffed. Unfortuneately, with all the travels we did and stop overs to our destination of Boston, I have mislaid the bill. Infact, I'm not sure whether or not I received a copy. Hopefully you will look into this and come to a decision that will be benificial to us both. Unfortuneately, I can not send the amount stated on our band statement, but should you choose to see it, send me the address to where it should be mailed to.

You can imagine the shock we received on seeing the amount of $558.96.

Thank you for your concern in this matter.

Lawrence Volkert

• Stayed May 2006

159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2006

For the money, $186, this Comfort Inn was the worst that I have stayed at. Shuttle service was spotty, Internet Work Station printer was out of order, coffee maker in the room was out of order, Lobby Courtesy Coffee pots were empty by 9:30 a.m. and we were told the Breakfast Room was closed at 9:50 a.m., when the posted closing time was 10:00 a.m.
I travel frequently for business and I would never again stay at this hotel, or the Best Western adjacent to it, nor would I recommend it to colleagues.

Stayed May 2006
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2006

I was travelling to Florida and had to connect in DC, so I decided to break my journey there for a couple of days and this was the only hotel which could fit me in at short notice. It's not in a great position if you're thinking of using it as a base for sight-seeing in DC and I gather from friends who live locally, that it's not an area where you'd want to be wandering around after dark. I didn't use the shuttle, but the few times I noticed it arriving and departing, it seemed to run pretty much to time and there were seats available.

My room was clean and comfortable and was of a rather better standard than I would expect of a hotel of this class. I was impressed by the size and the fact that I had a whirlpool bath at no extra cost. I was also surprised to learn that the high-speed internet connection was free to use, as I've always been charged before. One small niggle was that the in-room safe wouldn't lock and I had to wait until the following day for the General Manager (the only person who had spare keys) to come and fix it. That being said, the rest of the front desk staff were polite and helpful and seemed genuinely enbarrassed that they had to keep me waiting for the repair.

The only thing that let this hotel down in my view is the restaurant. A free continental breakfast was included in my rate, but I decided to upgrade to the hot breakfast one morning instead. I can honestly say it was the worst food I've ever been offered in a hotel. Apart from the fact that it was almost cold when presented to me, the french toast was swimming in grease, the eggs were barely cooked and the bacon was so over-cooked that it was black. The restaurant staff are not the politest people I've ever met either and at least one used the old I-don't-speak-sufficient-English trick when challenged about his attitude.

All-in-all, I would reccommend this hotel as somewhere to stay - and would stay there again myself - as I found it good value-for-money compared with other hotels in that area I've used. I'll just make sure that I eat somewhere else!

• Stayed February 2006
Oxfordshire, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2004

Cabfare from the airport was $12, they do provide a shuttle which will come and pick you up if you call from the airport, but we just wanted to get there and get settled.

From the moment you enter, I guess, you'll realise this is no luxury hotel. You can see the little managers office behind the desk, and a worn out sign on the desk telling you about the shuttle.

I must say, we came to this hotel after staying 10 nights in a 3 star suite in New York (which I have also reviewed, Holiday Inn Harmon Meadow, i'd recommend that hotel!) so I knew we were in for a disappointment.

Our original room, room 707, I felt was quite poor. Loud air conditioning, the air conditioning unit itself was in poor repair, the grill on the bottom was hanging off on the floor. There's no places to walk to get food closeby, except a chinese place across the road, which is alright (they give you a lot of food, and it's good), so we ate that. My girlfriend spilt soy sauce on the floor, so we wake up next morning, and just like in NY, we have ants, except this time a lot more. The staff seemed less willing to help, but did relocate us, not to a suite though, but the room we went to was a lot better. The new room had the same air conditioning model as in New York, very quiet.

Other than the ants, no real complaints about the Hotel, just dont expect anything special, eat anything with sugar outside your room! The shuttle service was good, it takes you to a 4 storey mall with a Metro station underneath it, which should be your main method of transport in the city. The shuttle does stop picking up at 10pm, and the Metro service is not like in New York, it doesn't run 24 hours (each station tells you which time they run their last train on a sign near the help desk, which is always manned), but it's still fairly good. If you do want to stay out in D.C. past 10pm, however, you can get the Metro back to the Pentagon City Metro stop, and go into the Ritz Carlton attached to the mall and get yourself a cab back to the hotel. To save yourself $10, pick up a guidebook from the customer service desk on the lowest food court level on the way to the Metro, as it's free and tells you all you really need to know about D.C. if you just want to see the main sights.

The mall really saves the hotel, as there's nothing worth seeing nearby. I was told not to walk around in the area (something which I did the second day of my stay) by a chap who I attended the Redskins/Cowboys game with, but I didn't encounter any problems. I ate once at the hotels restaurant, it was reasonably priced and edible.

I'd stay at this place again, but only as a last resort and if it was cheap. I got in for $109 a night, but I was told I got a "good rate" by the guy at the front desk, who advised the rate for people without reservations at the time was $169, a total rip off!

Any questions, feel free to Email me.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2004

A recent last minute business trip brought me to the Comfort Inn at the Pentagon, as all the hotels in the city were fully booked due to a postal convention and the opening of the Native American Museum. The location is out of the way, but free shuttle service to the Metro station and Pentagon City Mall makes it easy to get around. The room was a bit worn around the edges (never did figure out what that large red stain on the carpet was), but otherwise clean. I had little interaction with the staff as I stayed for just one night, but they seemed pleasant. Complimentary buffet breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant. Lunch and dinner menus are available as well, but you would be better off eating elsewhere. Service for dinner was very slow (I waited almost 30 minutes for a bowl of soup) and the food was nothing special. Comfort Inn at the Pentagon won't bowl you over but it will do if you're only staying for a night or two, or there is no room at other DC hotels.

• Stayed September 2004, traveled on business
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2004

We stayed at the Comfort Inn June 10, 2004 to sleep after a redeye before a ceremony at Arlington (very close by). Our family had many rooms reserved. The rooms are what you would expect from this level of hotel - decent but not exciting, clean but starting to show a bit of wear around the edges. The bathroom had a sink/mirror both inside the bathroom and outside of it, which is convenient. Continental breakfast is included in the price, but we didn't get a chance to see it. The air conditioner in our room was very noisy, while in our family's other rooms it didn't work well enough for those hot DC summer days, but they were moved to new rooms when requested. One room had no towels in it and the family had to call several times before any towels were provided. The hotel shares a small pool with the ancient Best Western next door. Parking is free. Overall it's a reasonable place, but for $119/night with AAA discount, it seemed expensive for what we got.

Been to Comfort Inn Pentagon City? Share your experiences!