“Mix of Awful & Great Service and Complimentary Ants” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #39 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Boston, Massachusetts
“Mix of Awful & Great Service and Complimentary Ants”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Three of us spent two nights at the hotel in one room. I flew in and because they drove and hit traffic, I arrived in town first.

As I was calling the hotel for their free shuttle service, I saw the van approaching and waved to the driver. He kept going. I explained what happened to the hotel employee on the phone who said the next van was is at 9 pm, in roughly 15 minutes. No apology.

The next van came by around 9:25 and again, I waved, and again the driver kept going. Mind you, I was standing under the sign for hotel shuttle service. Not only did the driver not stop, he was 2 lanes over from where he belonged. I called the hotel again. Still no apology and he just told me he'd call the driver and have him turn around in come back. None of that happened.

So after waiting an entire hour, I approached a taxi and as I was about to climb into the cab, the van started pulling over. I had everyone within earshot tell the shuttle driver to wait while I removed my suitcase from the taxi trunk.

I finally made it to the Comfort Inn in a van with broken seat belts, broken windshield wipers, and via a driver who told me he stops at doors 5 and 9. I have no idea what that means. I waited with everyone else depending on hotel airport shuttles and I saw Marriott vans, Holiday Inn vans, Double Tree vans, Sheraton vans, etc... over and over again.

At check-in I had to push for any kind of compensation after the shuttle fiasco and was finally given an upgrade from a standard room with 2 beds to a suite with 2 beds and a pull out couch. Finally, I got an apology.

My friends had an easy check-in and when they couldn't open the door (my fault, I locked it), the woman at the front desk (not who I had dealt with) took excellent care of them. She unlocked the door.

For the rest of the stay, van service left the hotel on time but there's a huge glitch in their schedule. A person can't leave the hotel and be at the airport at the exact same time. Management needs to address this issue.

I killed almost a dozen ants in two days. In fact one greeted me when I first walked into the room. Most ants were in the bathroom.

Breakfast offerings consist of dry cereal, bacon, muffins, bagels (I think), yogurt, and eggs.

Parking is free. The hotel sits beside a Best Western and shares the shuttle service. Although near the highway, rooms are quiet.

Beds are hard. The sleep sofa was not checked by housekeeping; I found a tag from new jeans on the mattress. Sheets were located in the dresser along with a blanket. The bottom of the mattress was ripped with large holes in multiple places.

All in all, I can't honestly recommend this hotel to anyone until all mattresses are replaced, rooms are treated for bugs, the shuttle service vans are repaired, the shuttle schedule is changed, drivers are re-trained, and some front desk employees are re-trained in customer service and a manager is on duty. I never saw a manager working.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel while working in DC. I liked the location because it offered many good dining and shopping choices in Arlington. It's reasonably close to DC, but if you are traveling during rush hour you will need extra time to get to your destination. The traffic throughout the DC area is congested. The amenities at this hotel are average, the breakfast is decent for a quick something to eat before you leave. The rooms are clean and I found them acceptable. The staff is friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a comfortable and clean place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Rodrigo C, Manager at Comfort Inn Pentagon City, responded to this review, April 18, 2014

Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

This hotel is pretty tired. It's reasonably clean but shows its age. The elevators are maddeningly slow and the stairway didn't allow access to the first floor without going outside. There is a shuttle available to the metro and to the airport,(nothing seemed to be within walking distance) although the schedule was unpredictable. The shuttle neither left when scheduled nor arrived for pickup when expected. On the positive side, the bed was comfortable, we were not bothered by noise and the food was ok. Breakfast was pretty standard Choice Hotel fare, but they had dinners available as well. Dinners were nothing fancy but were modestly priced. The staff was friendly.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Our family (from the four corners of the U.S.) gathered for the burial of a loved one at Arlington National Cemetery. I was charged with securing accommodations ..I looked at logistics and price and found this wonderful hotel close to the airport and cemetery. From the moment of speaking with the sales mgr...to checking out ..NOTHING can describe how the entire staff compassionately met our needs. The hotel, although not new, was exceptionally clean and updated. The breakfast was fresh and had a good variety..and they even had an evening menu (you pay for that) in the same dining area/restaurant..that was EXCELLENT!!!...The rooms were very clean..bathrooms clean and good water pressure in shower!!..All in all-- this hotel is a little gem among all the giants ($$$$) in the area. Great place to stay for tourists..they shuttle you to/from the Metro..to explore DC and beyond.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Huntsville, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed one night while visiting DC. The location is a short drive to the downtown area and is easy to find. The room was clean but smelled very heavily of some sort of deodorizer, enough to give my husband and I a headache during the night. I cant say enough about the hotet staff though. Each person I encountered was so nice and helpful. Check in/out was fast and easy. This hotel is good if youre just looking for an overnight stay close to DC.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Rodrigo C, Manager at Comfort Inn Pentagon City, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your stay at our hotel.
Your feel back is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create a enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again soon.
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I don't know when I have been in a less sound proof hotel. Unfortunately we additionally were in a room next to people who appeared to only have outside voices and were night owls as well, who we still heard at 3 am. After complaining to the front desk (young woman tried to be helpful) they quieted down for a time but it didn't last. Other than that the hotel is conveniently located to DC (especially if you are driving) and just off the expressway giving easy access to many popular places in the DC complex.
Front desk was helpful in finding a good dinner restaurant and the breakfast was more than adequate.

Room Tip: You might ask for a quiet room!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Your feelback is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create a enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again soon.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel in February 2014 to visit Washington, DC for the first time. After breakfast, we requested some of the staff whom we saw at the reception area what and
where is the best place to go and visit the Washington area, most especially, Washington Monument, Lincoln Monument, Veterans Memorial, Tomb of the Unknown, Arlington Cemetery, Aerospace Museum, etc., etc.... The gentleman was very attentive and after listening to my problems, he did not hesitate in finding a Washington and Vicinity map and started marking the areas where we want to visit. He hailed a taxi for us and directed the taxi where to bring us and
not to leave us until we are finished with our tour. I did not expect this kind of service from a 3-4 star hotel. My family and I were surprised the way this gentleman took time to show us the places we wanted to visit. I cannot complain on the services we received most especially the room services, front desk personnel, and restaurant staff. There were all very accommodating and tried very hard to make our stay at Comfort Inn Pentagon a very memorable and exciting one. I wish to commend the staff of this hotel, perhaps even their Manager. I did not personally meet their manager but the way the staff were trained, I am sure the Manager have something to do with it. I am a retired member of the Armed Forces and spent 21 years in the US Navy. This is my 1st time in Washington DC area and I am glad my family and found a 5-star hotel in the area with a cheap rate. Well done, Comfort Inn Pentagon Staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Rodrigo C, General Manager at Comfort Inn Pentagon City, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
703-682-1850

Been to Comfort Inn Pentagon City? Share your experiences!