“Great location for DC work and travel” 4 of 5 stars

You added Oakwood Apartments Arlington to your Saves list
Oakwood Apartments Arlington
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   1550 Clarendon Blvd., Arlington, VA 22209   |
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great location for DC work and travel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

Oakwood is conveniently located within walking distance of Metro, City Bike Share station, Starbucks, CVS and great restaurants! Clean and comfortable and under good management. An enjoyable stay. Apartment has pool which is open in summer and convenient gym.

• Stayed May 2014
Oakwood2014, Social Media Marketing Team at Oakwood Apartments Arlington, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Glad to hear your stay was so wonderful, and that the location was so convenient! Thanks for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Oakwood at Clarendon Blvd. saved us a bundle and provided us with more of a normal lifestyle when transitioning cross-country than a hotel would. We stayed for a shorter period of time than your average person...a little over a week but originally was going for a half week. Call and ask; if they have availability, they may accommodate you.

We are a couple with 8 and 10 year old kids. We had a two-bedroom apartment while we waited for our rental house to become available. Price-wise, it was about the same as a hotel room and it had two bedrooms, a living room, dining room, kitchen, large balcony, and laundry.

This location worked for us better than a hotel because we didn't have to depend on room service thanks to a kitchen, but there are restaurants nearby so you could have a choice. Also the laundry is in the apartment, which was great.

Now it's not posh like a nice hotel; our apartment was clearly old. No room service or maid service here (I think they will do maid service for a charge) But it's fine, and it was clean and quiet, and the kids liked the pool. We opted to stay two extra nights after our rental was ready, so we could be in a normal space at night while our stuff had arrived at the rental and it was a total mess! During the days we unpacked at our rental, and then retreated to Oakwood at night. I was actually sad to leave.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
salerno
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This place needs a HUGE updated... it is old, the bathroom is old and dirty. The internet and tv cable work any other day! I stayed there with my husband for six months :-( .....Do yourself a favor find somenthing else! And please Okwood invest some money in a good cleaning and updating this building.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here for 5 weeks from the end of October to the start of December 2012. The location is good, being near the Metro and also having a bus stop and FSI Shuttle stop directly outside. There are also restaurants and supermarkets nearby too, with a Safeway less than 5 minutes away and a Whole Foods and a Cheesecake Factory if you don't mind a little bit of a longer walk.

The apartments themselves are large and comfortable, with everything you need for an extended stay away from home and.I especially appreciated having my own washer and dryer. My apartment looked like it had been recently refurbished as all the fixtures and fittings looked clean, new and modern.

I paid extra for the weekly maid service and found it to be excellent and well worth paying for. The staff on reception were always friendly and helpful to me when I had questions. I would definitely choose to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I stay in Rosslyn once or twice a year and I've stayed in several long-term apartments in the area. I keep coming back to the Oakwood mainly because of the service. The rooms are definitely older but a very clean, well appointed and comfortable at a great rate.

They have a pool, bbq area, in-house events, in room internet etc. It's easy access to Rosslyn Metro, supermarket, CVS, restaurants etc,

It's in the fight path for Reagan airport so you need to get used to fly-overs and at the moment the surrounding construction adds to the noise level, but still the best value in Rosslyn

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Location is great--maybe a five minute walk to the Rosslyn Metro (orange and blue lines), same to Safeway, and 30 minutes walk or so to a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Pottery Barn, et cetera with plenty of restaurants (fast food to fine dining) and bars on the way. 30 minutes walking in the other direction will land you in Georgetown.

My one bedroom suite had a galley-sized kitchen, stacking washer and dryer in the unit, good-sized sitting room and king bed room. The bathroom was a bit dated, but everything is clean and well-maintained. The front-desk staff have been friendly, too.

Room Tip: It is worth getting a room on the back side of the building, as the front side faces a fire station...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Arlington, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

Let me start by saying that I stayed at Oakwood Rosslyn, VA for about two months until I couldn't take it anymore. The building is the ugliest structure in the neighborhood, circa 1960, dark depressing brown. The lobby looks deceptively OK. Inside the apartments, it is just as depressing as looking at the building from the outside.
I have no complaints about the neighborhood (extremely convenient, lots of restaurants, close to metro, dry cleaners, Safeway, 15 minute walk to Georgetown, etc...).
Mind that it is in close proximity to a fire station, but it wasn't an issue for me.
I lived in a one bedroom, overlooking the front of the building.
The vertical blinds are very old and kept falling out of their holders.
I tried to fix them myself but they kept falling out.
When I requested service on that, they came and did the same thing I did: put the parts back in and they fell out after ten minutes. So, when you close the blinds there were gaping holes and the light from the street went in.
Then, there was the issue of plumbing.
It was maddening. I made service requests 2-3 times a week. I had a problem with every piece of plumbing in my apartment. They came to me on Thanksgiving and told me not to use the kitchen sink until further notice (the notice came the next day).
The furnishings are old and out of style. Not clean at all. I was very squamish about sitting on stuff. So I brought some cover ups from home for the couch and the armchair and covered the chairs with towels.
Now, regarding the reception team...terrible customer service (the maintenance people are actually nice and even though they slowly fixed my plumbing problems for good on maybe the tenth call, at least they tried and they responded quickly), but I mean the people at the front desk.
Not nice at all. One time I was so frustrated with my plumbing situation that I asked them to move me to a different apartment and the girl at the front desk said that will charge me 250 dollars for within Oakwood move! I inquired whether it would be better for business if I moved out altogether on account of this problem and she gave me a "You have to do what's best for you" response (which actually I did, thankfully).
The gym is a joke. It is small, has two treadmill machines, and there's no place to sit down on the floor to stretch.
The wireless internet is slow and unpredictable.
The phone I was afraid to touch, because they said it was free for like 20 mile radius.
It is ridiculously expensive.
I was at $114 a day housing allowance and they made it look like they were doing me a favor by taking me in.
Most people there are actually State Department employees and I know that they pay a lot more than that because the State Dep has some kind of a contract with them.
It's ridiculous! They are robbers.
I would never recommend it to anyone.
If you have other options use them first.
Leave this as a LAST resource only!
And in the end, they gave me a 10 am move out deadline. Even hotels give you more time to pack your suitcase and in this case you have to pack months and months of your life.
So realistically, you have to move your stuff the night before.

Room Tip: Don't stay there
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Oakwood Apartments Arlington? Share your experiences!