“Great Week-end at the Crystal Gateway” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Castries, St. Lucia
“Great Week-end at the Crystal Gateway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Just back from a two night stay at the Marriott Crystal Gateway. We had a hard time finding the entrance, but maybe we're just plain daft. You can see the hotel from Jefferson Davis Highway, but you can't enter there. We thought we could turn next left and double back, but ended up going all the way to Rosslyn before we could turn around. Check-in was really fast and very professional. I had requested a room high up, in a quiet location, and my request was granted. As for the horrendous parking fee of $21 we just parked for free at the Crystal City Public Parking lot where parking is free on week-ends. We were told that today, Columbus Day, would also be free as it's a holiday. However, upon leaving the parking lot the girl at the exit gave me a hard time, telling me it wasn't free to park. Anyhow, she graciously let us go without paying. I'd double check before assuming it's free to park there on week-ends and holidays, just to be sure. It's a bit of a walk from the Marriott, but I enjoy walking so it wasn't a chore. The room we had was quite spacious, and had a nice view of the sunsets. There was a problem with the heating/air conditioning unit. The room was cold when we entered so we put the temperature up to 75 and then went out for a few hours. When we got back the room was even colder than when we first arrived when it was set for 72 degrees. Had no choice but to complain. A workman came by pretty soon and fixed the problem.
We had room service one night. Food was excellent. I had the spinach salad with grilled chicken and my husband had the crabcake sandwich. We also ordered bruschetta. which was also delicious. The Metro is accessed via a tunnel directly from the hotel's lobby. This tunnel also leads you to the many shops adjacent. The rate we paid was $108 per night. Would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Warrington, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

I stayed at the Marriott with a group of over 1000 people for 4 nights in August, 2009. The subway stop is underneath the hotel and very convenient. Used that to get to & from trips to DC & Arlington National Cemetary. Also downstairs shops, restaurants, etc... which helped cut costs on hotel dining options. Clearly, we got a group rate which helped. Hotels rooms were nice. Location is great. Close enough to DC. Indoor / Outdoor pool was also nice. Banquet / Conference room food was also good. Would consider staying here again...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

I would stay at this property again in the future, I was upgraded to a decent room with a nice view looking Western Virgina and the evening sunset. Two issues with this property was the bedding was too soft or maybe just [--] worn in the middle (sink hole) I've taken blankets from the closet and extra pillows from the bedding to pad the middle. The bathroom door frame was ajar to where it wouldn't shut completely, I was afraid to have forced to door to shut, the door may have gotten stuck or seal tight from from inside the bathroon? FYI other sections of this property there a fewers rooms on all 18 floors and less people traffic.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights as part of our road trip this summer. Wonderful hotel although the google directions are somewhat mis-leading it was by accident really that we found the front entrance. Room was fantastic we asked for a rollaway bed as there were 5 of us and it arrived in minutes all made up and there was still plenty of space in the room. My daughter said it was the most comfortable roll away she had ever slept on. The pool was great, we drank in the bar one night there was a real buzz in the hotel and it was very classy and the staff were excellent. Metro station a couple of minutes by underground walkway is also really useful for exploring DC. Area felt very safe (maybe to the large amount of military personnel). Would stay here again in a heartbeat. Great rates too. I think hotel.com was the site i used for that one.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

I stayed at the Marriott Crystal Gateway for a government-sponsored conference. The Govt. room rate was $165 per night - which is very good, and a fraction of the rates quoted here. That makes the hotel good value: I'm less sure about the "normal" rates.

The hotel is very comfortable, though the lobby walk to the elevator for the "Arlington Tower" is lengthy. I thought the staff were excellent, and very helpful. I'm not usually good at remembering to tip when I visit the US - but several of them got good tips from me for excellent service. All the food I had was within the conference, so I don't know what the restaurant food is normally like - but the catering was excellent, varied, and plentiful.

The hotel is close by Reagan National Airport. I flew into Dulles, and the journey was about an hour with SuperShuttle. The hotel has a tunnel linking it to "Crystal City Shops", and the Crystal City Metro station: with the heart of DC just four stops and $1.65 away. You can also get to "Pentagon City" shops just one stop or half a mile's walk away - though I found the shops there a bit disappointing.

The only disappointment really was the hotel's gym, as other reviews have commented: there's a fair set of cardio machines, but the resistance training consisted of a rather aging "multigym" (two of the five stations were out of date), a few dumbells (up to 55lbs) and an EZ-curl bar (with adequate numbers of plates). As hotel gyms go, I'd give it about 4/10 - which is low for a hotel which is otherwise so good.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Commack, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel and its sister hotel across the street about 4-5 times over the past several years and these hotels are superior in several significant ways. First, they are literally on the Metro line and therefore, you can go from the hotel to any location in DC in a matter of a few minutes. This hotel is particularly convenient if you are flying into Reagan Airport because it the next stop on the Metro.

In addition, these are first rate hotels at extremely reasonable rates. I got a room with two double beds for only $99. Usually, you pay as more for a discount hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Rialto, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

Don't get me wrong on the title...the hotel was really, really nice...but something in the food and/or water made a lot of people sick while we were there.

I went to attend a Dept. of Defense conference and I'm pretty sure they upgraded me like 5 times when I arrived - the room I ended up in was hands-down the NICEST room I've ever been in, with the most AMAZING view of D.C. Most of the room was a window and I was on the top floor. I was a bit confused when I arrived because I couldn't find the bed (it folded out of the wall), which left me exclaiming 'nice room but they forgot the BED!'

Huge television set in the room, too...the screen was further across than my height I think and HD.

My conference kept me so busy I wasn't able to explore D.C. much until the third day, however when I went back to my room that day I began to feel very ill. In the interests of decency I'm not going to go into too much detail, but let's just say most of the water in my body left me that night and I wasn't throwing up.

The following morning I forced myself to put my uniform on (I'm army, if nobody guessed), and dragged myself downstairs to the conference. However, I was getting out of breath just from standing there so I decided to go back to my room. Thankfully, another Soldier noticed me, recognized my symptoms, and kept me from going upstairs. According to the doctors at the Arlington E.R., I'd have probably been dead within 3 hours if I had gone upstairs and lied down like I planned to.

The rest of my trip consisted of me trying to consume large quantities of water and electrolytes until I was able to leave. My first (probably only) trip to D.C. and I didn't even get to see a single monument - very disappointing. As an Operation Iraqi Freedom vet, I think the most disappointing part of it was that my grandfather and great-grandfather (veterans both) are buried at Arlington National Cemetary, and I wasn't even able to visit their graves.

After I returned home to California, I was contacted by somebody named Angela Moran (I don't know if she works at that particular Marriott or just for Marriott in general) but she was calling to see if I had lived and made it home. I asked if they could spare a room for a couple of days during their off season so I could pay my respects...she said she'd call back about it but never did - I'm guessing that means the answer was no.

Accidents happen, I know when dealing with food it's impossible to achieve perfection - so I'm kind of iffy about recommending the restaurant there...I didn't eat anywhere else besides the hotel restaurant and it was very, very good food (especially the calamari)...I just don't want to recommend it because it might have been where I caught whatever it was. The food was great, just not literally 'to die for' as they say.

Bottom line - I don't see a lot of reviews about this sort of thing...if you took the whole 'getting sick' part out of my review it really was a wonderful place. Bad timing, y'know? I'm just glad there was a Rite-Aid in the little underground shopping mall nearby.

Oh I read a review that said their fitness center wasn't that great - bull-PUCKEY. That place is awesome...they have fruit all over the place if you want it and it's open 24 hrs...equipment was in great condition, nothing was broken...it was great.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business