“Excellent choice for visiting DC” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25% off
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Lima
“Excellent choice for visiting DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

For visiting Washington DC this is a great choice: the Crystal City Metro station is connected to the hotel lobby and it is only a 10 minute ride to L´Enfant Plaza station (near the National Mall).
It has a swimming pool that in summer is open 10 am to 10 pm, and if breakfast seems expensive, you can find many options in the tunnel that connects the lobby with the Metro Station.
The front desk can have very friendly staff (Sue, for example) sometimes not...
Rooms and bathrooms are nice, but... during my 4 day stay the housekeeper did a lousy job: She did the beds but left some pillows on the floor and 2 days she did not clean the carpet at all. First time that something like this happened to me at a Marriott.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Maimy C, Manager at Crystal Gateway Marriott, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Augusto C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your past experience at the Crystal Gateway Marriott. I appreciate your feedback regarding the service provided by housekeeping – please accept my sincere apology; I have shared your comments with the Director of Services and have addressed your concerns with the staff. You are correct: we are conveniently connected to the Crystal City Metro station, shops, and several restaurant options! I would love to speak with you and learn more regarding your experience with our Front Desk, feel free to reach out to me through the hotel’s switchboard at (703) 920-3230. Thank you again for posting your review, we look forward to your return visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Stafford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I was stranded in this hotel during one of the great snow storms of 2014. The hotel was well staffed, with excellent customer service for a hotel full of cranky travelers. The room was very well appointed. The restaurant selection within the hotel was greatly appreciated. The hotel has an underground walkway to the Metro, making the trip to the airport the next day a warm and dry experience. The room was large with great light and a view of Crystal City. This hotel has been around for many years, but the inside was modern and very nice.
I think this would be a great hotel to use for a base camp trip to DC - family, business or romantic travel.
The food in the bar restaurant was very good with great service.

Room Tip: There are rooms with views of the Washington DC.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Maimy C, Manager at Crystal Gateway Marriott, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear jayhawkinva,

Thank you for taking your time to write this nice review about your experience at the Crystal Gateway Marriott. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, the restaurant menu, especially our customer service! You are right, our central location – only steps from the Crystal City metro station, underground shops and restaurants is a plus! We look forward to your return visit.
Granada Hills, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I originally had some problems booking the hotel through Marriott Reservation Line they only booked my for 1 night instead of the 4 nights I originally requested. When I called the hotel directly to get my problem fixed, Carla Grisi took care over the problem and her customer service was outstanding. When we arrived to the hotel the excellent service started from the Valet guys to check in. The concierge ladies were extremely nice and helpful and booked all of the dinner reservations and gave us the restaurants that they would recommend, which were all good choices. The rooms were clean the beds were comfortable and they even accommodated me by having connect rooms for my son. We had breakfast every morning at the Mez and the food was very good and service was good as well. When we were checking out I had a 4 hr drive back to North Carolina and I grabbed 2 water bottles from the little store they had and the ladies at the counter said this is on us and to enjoy our drive back and thanked us for staying. at the hotel. I have stayed in a lot of hotels by I will definitely say the customer service was excellent. I highly recommend this hotel in Arlington, VA. Also the railway to all the different attractions was walking distance in a covered underground with lots of stores and restaurants I give this hotel an A+++++++.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Maimy C, Manager at Crystal Gateway Marriott, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Allise T,

Thank you for staying at the Crystal Gateway Marriott, especially for your awesome review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us – the comfort of our guestrooms, the breakfast in our Mez Restaurant, our convenient location, amenities, and excellent customer service. We have shared and celebrated your kind remarks with Carla, and the reception staff – thank you! We look forward to welcoming you back soon when your travels bring you back to the Arlington/Washington, D.C. Area!
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This hotel is dated, and a friend staying there had a very smelly room. Our room had a chemical smell. Elevators inadequate for large conference groups. Convenient location to all shops and metro. Hotel has a curfew so if the event you are attending exceeds that, well, you just have to cut it short. Okay pricing for area, bit high for large conference rate considering the condition of the facility.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear DCFlyers,

Thank you for your business, and for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at the Crystal Gateway Marriott. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel’s location and concourse to the Crystal City underground shops, and metro. I can imagine how frustrating it must have been for you, when you expect the room to be problem free and yours was not. Rest assured that we are working with the Engineering and Housekeeping departments to inspect, identify and correct this issue. We are in the middle of upgrading our elevators, and I am sorry you were impacted by this. This does not change the fact it affected your experience here and I wanted to personally apologize. I hope that you give us an opportunity to renew your confidence in our ability to take excellent care of you. Thanks again for your feedback!
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This hotel offers reliable high quality accommodations conveniently located next to Reagan National Airport, close to shops and restaurants and right on the metro line so Washington DC is accessible without actually staying in the heart of the city. The underground tunnels are very convenient with the heat and weather variations in DC IF you don't mind walking to restaurants and shops. This is a large Marriott with two towers and full convention/banquet facilities. There are renovations in progress on some floors but I did not find it disruptive and this is probably good in that some rooms need a refreshment. I was upgraded to a suite and really appreciated the extra space even though my stay was short. The exercise facilities are very functional and everything seemed in working order. When visiting DC this is one hotel I consider in the plethora of hotel options in this area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Loki_and_Odin,

Thank you for staying at the Crystal Gateway Marriott and for posting this wonderful review about your experience at our hotel. We are pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, especially the comfort of our guestrooms, facility and amenities! Our location offers our guests the convenience of being only minutes from Regan National Airport, and with easy metro access to Washington, D.C. – thank you for mentioning it. We look forward to your return visit!
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I'm happy to report that after a series of negative experiences at this hotel, the service level has improved significantly. The entire experience was positive with staff anticipating my needs and going out of their way to ensure that challenges associated with the volume of students in the hotel were of no impact to the rest of us who stay regularly. This is the Marriott brand and service level to which I am accustomed and I'm happy to see it return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear ScreamingAnvil,

Thank you for taking the time to share your past experience at the Crystal Gateway Marriott. We are extremely thankful for the opportunity you gave us to regain your trust in our ability to take great care of you! We are delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us – especially for mentioning our staff service. Thank you again for posting your review; we look forward to your return visit!
Saskatoon,SK Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I want to thank Trip Advisor on this one. Its an out of the park home run. Please be careful when booking or travelling to this hotel as they have a sister property called the Crystal City Marriott @ Reagan National Airport which is a block and a half away. People get off the courtesy airport shuttle at the wrong one all the time. The shuttle only runs until 1130pm and goes every 20 min, but its free and services both properties.

The Crystal Gateway is only about 7 minutes away from Reagan Airport. It looked to me like you could likely catch the Metro (subway) right from the airport to this place if you had to. The main reason why I adore this place is that it has a Metro station right in the basement of the hotel. Our family of 4 flew into Reagan and based out of this hotel and it was our first time in a Major City relying solely on public transit without a rental car. It was a snap! If we can do it anyone can! People in DC were always willing to help when we had questions. Subway rates varied upon time of day and distance travelled. The best way is to get a reloadable METRO card from the vending machine at the entrance to the Metro. It saves you $1 per trip and expedites your time thru the turnstile. **Tip** if you are not from the US your Credit card may not work in the reloadable Metro card purchase station, but it will work in the regular full fare single ride machine and the credit reload machine for the reloadable metro card. To get a reloadable card you can go to the Metro Store which is in the Shopping complex under the Gateway Hotel, then you`re all set to go. The subway looked like it ran till 1am. You could get to the Monument Mall in DC in about 15-20 min on the Metro.

My second favorite part about the Crystal Gateway is the fact that the tunnel that gets you down to the Metro 1st gets you to a maze of shopping corridors under the hotel and neighboring streets. There was everything from Restaurants and snack places to Donut shops and trinkets down there. I wound up having a dental emergency and the hotel referred me to a dentist in the shops who got me in and fixed up in a jiffy. I noted there was a Doctors office there too as well as a Pharmacy that’s only open till 8pm for prescriptions and the retail part till 9pm. This was also a lifesaver for a sore mouth. I saw a liquor place in there too. Pretty much anything you would ever need in a pinch is right within a 2 minute walk.

The hotel had a Hertz rental car desk which always seemed busy. I didn’t see any parking around the hotel, but there was a Valet. Im sure there was somewhere to park but Im guessing they charged an arm and a leg for it.

The lobby had a bagel and coffee shop right at the entrance to the metro. I cant remember the name of it. There was also a sit down coffee place and a trendy looking hotel bar/ lounge.. The breakfasts seemed a better value down in the metro shops. I saw a fine dining steak place there too. There are dozens of places to eat within a 5 minute walk of the Gateway. If you go about 3 blocks south from the main entrance of the hotel there is a restaurant row with all kinds of Ethnic food from Kabobs, Greek, Pubs, Thai, Sports Pub, Steak Houses, Chick Fillet, Pizza, coffee shops, ice cream places even a Gay Bar. There is a 24 hr 711 convenience store on this same street. Behind the 711 is a 24 hr Pharmacy. The neighbourhood is completely safe. We never saw one sketchy person anywhere and were out late a few times.

The hotel had a unique pool. Half was inside the atrium and they had partition windows they removed that gave access to the other half which was outside. Not sure if this would be open in winter months. There were a few floaties of debris in the pool that blew in but no big deal. It was refreshing to see a Hotel that had paid full time lifeguards on the pool deck (2 of them). I had no reservations letting the kids go to the pool alone. I never used the hot tub. There was a small exercise room above the pool, where the rest room was.

Check in was fast and went smoothly. There was a concierge` in the hotel to help with special requests (Dentist) cabs ect.

We paid $139 a night for two doubles on sale on their web site. Rooms right in DC were 2x that. The rooms were great. There are 2 towers separated by the lobby and the place is huge. Some of the upper floors were under renovations but we never saw or heard anything during our week stay. Our room accommodated a rollaway ($15 a night extra charge) and were stall able to move around easily in the room. Linens were good, beds comfy and rooms were so, so, for sound proofing. Soaps were better than average. It was exceptionally clean and rooms smelled fresh. Our housekeeper was great and even learned our routine. This is not a 5* hotel. I`d give it a SOLID 3.5* or even a 4* and if you didn’t travel much, you`d feel like it was a 4.5* place. The two Marriott’s played host Hotel to the Miss USA contestants while we were there. I feel we got an exceptional value given the amenities immediately available. The only complaint I had is that they charged for wifi. I made do with out it. Oh ya and slow elevators!

Here’s the quick stats:

Safe Atmosphere: 10/10
Staff Friendliness: 10/10
Pool: 7/10
Wifi $$/Day

We will return to this place without a doubt. If you found something in this review useful, please click helpful below. Thanks for reading and Godspeed!

Room Tip: Might be able to see the DC Mall from Higher room
Dear saskheat,

Thank you for sharing your post regarding your recent experience at our hotel. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and consider our hotel well appointed. The Crystal Gateway Marriott is positioned in the heart of Crystal City, VA in close distance to the Crystal City Metro station, which allows quick travel to our Nation’s Capital. We value your comments regarding the internet fees and wanted to let you know that we will take your feedback into consideration as we work towards making changes to our pricing policies. We are in the process of upgrading our building elevators, I am sorry to hear you were affected by this. I am happy to share that we offer complimentary internet service in the public spaces. Our guestrooms have recently been updated with brand new mattress sets and a new bath amenity program! Thank you again for your feedback, and I hope to host you again in the near future.

Been to Crystal Gateway Marriott? Share your experiences!