“Spectacular Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Perry, Ohio
“Spectacular Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel was incredible. We booked online at Marriott.com and got a great rate earlier in the year. We were driving back from vacation in Topsail, NC and Arlington/DC area was our half way point, we got into Arlington around 10:30AM and I was a little concerned that they might not let us check in because it was so early. From the moment we pulled up to the moment we left we had nothing but a spectacular experience. The gentleman who was in charge of the Valet came up and asked us if we'd be using the Valet or if we'd be self parking (we self-parked). He was very helpful, told us where to pull in for the parking garage and how to get from the parking garage to the hotel lobby. Once we parked we went in to see if we'd be able to check in and the second we got into the actual hotel I was amazed. It's immaculately clean and so beautifully decorated. The woman at the front desk was warm and friendly and helped us get checked in right away. We even got upgraded to a one room suite. I was so impressed with the friendliness of everyone we encountered at the hotel. Even housekeeping was pleasant. Our room was fantastic the view was amazing and everything was spotless. We decided to go see the Air & Space Museum in DC and went down to get directions at the concierge desk. The woman at the concierge desk gave us a metro map and wrote down how to get to the metro, the stop we'd need to get off at, and where to walk once we got off the metro. We didn't even have to leave the hotel to get to the Metro they have a great underground mall with fun shops and a few really good restaurants too. Everything was so easily accessible and everyone at this hotel was more than willing to help with what ever you needed. I will absolutely be staying at this location again. It was by far the best experience I've had at a Marriott thus far.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I liked the hotel and it is very easy to get around with the metro right there, however I was not impressed with the employees. The bartenders in the lounge were more worried about cleaning up and getting out of there and rushed us to finish our last call drinks. They even asked us to move out of the lounge area. The next morning I had an issue with a valet attendant (Louis, I believe). Apparently we mistakenly parked in the valet area. When you go in a certain way there are no cones. Because the garage was busy when we arrived we were forced to turn and parked. The next morning I was putting luggage in my car so we could tour Washington. They told me the care could stay in the lot until 5:00pm, which was nice. This valet attendant was parking a care and told me I was in valet parking. When I told him I didn't know he then said it was clearly marked with cones. I explained the way we came in the day before did not have cones. He then preceded to argue with me and told me he was here yesterday and it was marked. I said, "Why are you arguing with me, a customer?" He said, "I am not you are arguing with me." I said, "You are arguing what I say and basically calling me a liar." He then continued to argue about whether or not he was arguing and calling me a liar. Then he threatened me and said if I was not moved in the next 30 minutes, he would call security and have me towed. I then turned my back on him, moved the car, and asked the front desk for his name. I have never as a customer been treated in that way or talked to so rudely. I was very unhappy for the first time at a mar riot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chris H, Manager at Marriott Crystal Gateway, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Terri S-
Thank you for our post. It sounds like an exasperating exchange and I apologize. Our partner, the valet company, has reached out to you to help bring a positive resolution. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Super friendly staff. Cozy room. Exceptionally comfortable bed. A short metro ride to Nationals Park and monuments. Parking Garage is a bit creepy and not recommended for taller vehicles, but other than that a great stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Jen J-

Thanks for your visit and your post. Letting you know that as we speak, the garage is getting a fresh painting and we are adding more light fixtures. Come back and see the difference! Chris/Resident Manager
Philly
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I’ve stayed here quite a bit over the years. This is a nice hotel but it is an older property. It is still in decent shape and looks to have been refurbished recently, but it doesn’t have that higher end feel of some/most Marriotts.

The newer Renaissance Hotel in town seems to be the fanciest Marriott in town these days.

Very convenient covered walkway (tunnel) to Metro stop – especially nice when raining and/or freezing out.

Convenient to plenty of restaurants.

Parking was steep.

Room Tip: Highway side could get a little loud during the early morning rush - only a problem if you want to s...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Had a good 7 day vacation at this hotel in July, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The best amenity of this hotel are the shops and restaurants underground and surrounding areas. Unfortunately the shops shut down at 6pm on Saturdays and are closed on Sundays. Overall it was a pleasant stay and I would return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This Marriott and it's sister property across the street should be considered for every business or vacation trip to DC. In addition to the better chance of a more competative rate, you also get the benefit of being right on top of a Metro stop in Crystal City with many shops and restaurants in the immediate neighborhood.
I should note that I lived in the DC area for 7 years, and that the Crystal City area, for me, has always been a convenient "jumping point" in the district. DC is very much defined by what neighborhood you're in. If you are planning a trip to DC as a tourist, and plan on "seeing the sights", you're going to spend much of your time on Metro or using cabs. Saving $100 a night to stay in a property like this, should be considered first. This hotel is (on average) much larger than hotels in the district, has great amenities (pool, exercise room, access to great running trails [Mt. Vernon trail] and is 2 minutes from DCA). The rooms were large and well appointed, and the staff were great. Another benefit is the indoor access to the hotel from Metro. Most places in DC will require at least a block or two walk outside.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Chris H, Manager at Marriott Crystal Gateway, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Hello Leighjohnwi-
Thank you so much for staying with us and a special thanks for the review! We think our proximity to DC is a special benefit to our guests. Thanks for mentioning it. Hope to see you back here. CH
Ithaca, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed here once before about 4 years ago and I am happy to report that both stays were excellent. The staff is extremely thoughtful and professional. We had a few special requests and they were fully attended to. We also happened to mention that we were in DC to celebrate our anniversary and a birthday. When we got back to the room later that evening we were surprised to find a chilled bottle of champagne, a slice of cake and chocolate hand dipped strawberries waiting for us along with a lovely note! It really made our day!!
In addition, we loved the location in that we could easily get on the metro which is directly connected to the Crystal City center which is directly connected to the hotel. Self parking was also available and convenient ($26 per day). We will certainly stay here again next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Crystal Gateway? Share your experiences!