“So much for the Customer being right!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25% off
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“So much for the Customer being right!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I liked the hotel and it is very easy to get around with the metro right there, however I was not impressed with the employees. The bartenders in the lounge were more worried about cleaning up and getting out of there and rushed us to finish our last call drinks. They even asked us to move out of the lounge area. The next morning I had an issue with a valet attendant (Louis, I believe). Apparently we mistakenly parked in the valet area. When you go in a certain way there are no cones. Because the garage was busy when we arrived we were forced to turn and parked. The next morning I was putting luggage in my car so we could tour Washington. They told me the care could stay in the lot until 5:00pm, which was nice. This valet attendant was parking a care and told me I was in valet parking. When I told him I didn't know he then said it was clearly marked with cones. I explained the way we came in the day before did not have cones. He then preceded to argue with me and told me he was here yesterday and it was marked. I said, "Why are you arguing with me, a customer?" He said, "I am not you are arguing with me." I said, "You are arguing what I say and basically calling me a liar." He then continued to argue about whether or not he was arguing and calling me a liar. Then he threatened me and said if I was not moved in the next 30 minutes, he would call security and have me towed. I then turned my back on him, moved the car, and asked the front desk for his name. I have never as a customer been treated in that way or talked to so rudely. I was very unhappy for the first time at a mar riot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chris H, Manager at Crystal Gateway Marriott, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Terri S-
Thank you for our post. It sounds like an exasperating exchange and I apologize. Our partner, the valet company, has reached out to you to help bring a positive resolution. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Super friendly staff. Cozy room. Exceptionally comfortable bed. A short metro ride to Nationals Park and monuments. Parking Garage is a bit creepy and not recommended for taller vehicles, but other than that a great stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Jen J-

Thanks for your visit and your post. Letting you know that as we speak, the garage is getting a fresh painting and we are adding more light fixtures. Come back and see the difference! Chris/Resident Manager
Philly
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I’ve stayed here quite a bit over the years. This is a nice hotel but it is an older property. It is still in decent shape and looks to have been refurbished recently, but it doesn’t have that higher end feel of some/most Marriotts.

The newer Renaissance Hotel in town seems to be the fanciest Marriott in town these days.

Very convenient covered walkway (tunnel) to Metro stop – especially nice when raining and/or freezing out.

Convenient to plenty of restaurants.

Parking was steep.

Room Tip: Highway side could get a little loud during the early morning rush - only a problem if you want to s...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Had a good 7 day vacation at this hotel in July, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The best amenity of this hotel are the shops and restaurants underground and surrounding areas. Unfortunately the shops shut down at 6pm on Saturdays and are closed on Sundays. Overall it was a pleasant stay and I would return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This Marriott and it's sister property across the street should be considered for every business or vacation trip to DC. In addition to the better chance of a more competative rate, you also get the benefit of being right on top of a Metro stop in Crystal City with many shops and restaurants in the immediate neighborhood.
I should note that I lived in the DC area for 7 years, and that the Crystal City area, for me, has always been a convenient "jumping point" in the district. DC is very much defined by what neighborhood you're in. If you are planning a trip to DC as a tourist, and plan on "seeing the sights", you're going to spend much of your time on Metro or using cabs. Saving $100 a night to stay in a property like this, should be considered first. This hotel is (on average) much larger than hotels in the district, has great amenities (pool, exercise room, access to great running trails [Mt. Vernon trail] and is 2 minutes from DCA). The rooms were large and well appointed, and the staff were great. Another benefit is the indoor access to the hotel from Metro. Most places in DC will require at least a block or two walk outside.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Chris H, Manager at Crystal Gateway Marriott, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Hello Leighjohnwi-
Thank you so much for staying with us and a special thanks for the review! We think our proximity to DC is a special benefit to our guests. Thanks for mentioning it. Hope to see you back here. CH
Ithaca, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed here once before about 4 years ago and I am happy to report that both stays were excellent. The staff is extremely thoughtful and professional. We had a few special requests and they were fully attended to. We also happened to mention that we were in DC to celebrate our anniversary and a birthday. When we got back to the room later that evening we were surprised to find a chilled bottle of champagne, a slice of cake and chocolate hand dipped strawberries waiting for us along with a lovely note! It really made our day!!
In addition, we loved the location in that we could easily get on the metro which is directly connected to the Crystal City center which is directly connected to the hotel. Self parking was also available and convenient ($26 per day). We will certainly stay here again next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
mauritius
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife and I Arrived at the hotel from Dulles using the Washington Flyer followed by the subway. Travel time was just over an hour during Friday rush hour. Note that the subway trip involves changing trains at Rosslyn and a 4-5 min walk from Crystal City station to the hotel lobby through Crystal City shops and an underpass. Not a problem if you are not carrying too much luggage. Otherwise, a cab or shared van might be a better option.

Check in was a breeze. Our room was on the 8th floor with a partial view of the pentagon. Although one of the smallest rooms in the hotel, size was more than adequate. Room was modern, clean and comfortable. Bathroom satisfactory but could do with an upgrade. Toiletries and towels were of good quality. The room was surprisingly quiet considering it was opposite the ice machine.

Concierge was kind enough to take delivery and hold a few packages for us prior to our arrival.

Breakfast which was included in our rate was of very good quality and offered a fairly wide choice. Service was Average. Overall worth the supplement for the three days we were there but could get a bit repetitive if staying for longer. There is also a bagel & coffee shop in the lobby.

Access to DC was extremely convenient by subway. Just about all sights are within less than a 20 min ride away. However, do make provision for a reduced frequency on Sundays. Also note that if you return to the hotel very late, the underpass will be closed and you have to walk above ground, which can be a bit eerie.

Plenty of shops and restaurants around but do bear in mind that as this is part of a business district, many are closed weekends. Pentagon City shopping mall is only one stop away, is open 7 days a week, and offers plenty of shopping and food options.

Free shuttle to DCA airport runs frequently from the hotel. Travel time is around 5mins. Airport is also only one stop away by subway.

Finally, compared to Marriott Crystal City, Marriott Crystal Gateway is marginally closer to the subway station, is accessed through more lively corridors (especially at weekends) and seems to be more modern and in better shape.

Excellent value overall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Crystal Gateway Marriott? Share your experiences!