My wife and I Arrived at the hotel from Dulles using the Washington Flyer followed by the subway. Travel time was just over an hour during Friday rush hour. Note that the subway trip involves changing trains at Rosslyn and a 4-5 min walk from Crystal City station to the hotel lobby through Crystal City shops and an underpass. Not a problem if you are not carrying too much luggage. Otherwise, a cab or shared van might be a better option.
Check in was a breeze. Our room was on the 8th floor with a partial view of the pentagon. Although one of the smallest rooms in the hotel, size was more than adequate. Room was modern, clean and comfortable. Bathroom satisfactory but could do with an upgrade. Toiletries and towels were of good quality. The room was surprisingly quiet considering it was opposite the ice machine.
Concierge was kind enough to take delivery and hold a few packages for us prior to our arrival.
Breakfast which was included in our rate was of very good quality and offered a fairly wide choice. Service was Average. Overall worth the supplement for the three days we were there but could get a bit repetitive if staying for longer. There is also a bagel & coffee shop in the lobby.
Access to DC was extremely convenient by subway. Just about all sights are within less than a 20 min ride away. However, do make provision for a reduced frequency on Sundays. Also note that if you return to the hotel very late, the underpass will be closed and you have to walk above ground, which can be a bit eerie.
Plenty of shops and restaurants around but do bear in mind that as this is part of a business district, many are closed weekends. Pentagon City shopping mall is only one stop away, is open 7 days a week, and offers plenty of shopping and food options.
Free shuttle to DCA airport runs frequently from the hotel. Travel time is around 5mins. Airport is also only one stop away by subway.
Finally, compared to Marriott Crystal City, Marriott Crystal Gateway is marginally closer to the subway station, is accessed through more lively corridors (especially at weekends) and seems to be more modern and in better shape.
Excellent value overall.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Crystal Gateway Marriott offers an ideal location for vacations, business trips and weekend getaways. We are only one mile from Reagan National Airport and provide complimentary shuttle service to and from for our guests.The Crystal City underground can be accessed from our lobby offering direct access to the Metro system and a multitude of restaurants and shopping. Guests can also take advantage of complimentary WiFi in our lobby and multiple dining options within the hotel including Einstein Bagels. We're also minutes from the sites and sounds of Georgetown, Old Town Alexandria and unbelievable shopping at The Fashion Centre at Pentagon City. Our hotel provides 34,300 sq. ft. of meeting space and 27 meeting rooms with an on-site business center and Hertz rental desk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, EasyToBook, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Crystal Gateway Marriott reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Crystal Gateway Hotel Arlington
- Marriott Hotel Crystal Gateway
- Marriott Arlington
- Arlington Marriott