“Very nice place & helpful front desk. Atention to restaurant, 1st fl!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crystal Gateway Marriott

Special Offer
Save up to 25% off
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very nice place & helpful front desk. Atention to restaurant, 1st fl!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is my 3rd stay at this nice & well secured hotel. I had a mixed feelings toward the front desk but overall experience, things were fine. The breakfast at the 1st floor on weekends, isn't a great experience. Waiters should pay more attention to details such as, no body should bring a cup of coffee and hold it from the top, where people put their lips & drink! Nobody does that anymore! They are crowded in the morning so, the service could be long & unneccessary boring. The egg station cook, on week ends, doesn't know that he should flipp the eggs over to get over easy eggs!! enjoyed my stay but this was weird & unacceptable especially, when the breakfast is costly, $18 +!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I am very disappointed with the hotel operators and hotel font desk staff and management. I was blatantly lied too and for a simple request. I called ahead to see if my family and I could check-in early. The reservation was in my husbands name. When the operator answered the call, she informed me that someone else had already called-in and requested a 3:00 early check-in. This was the first lie. I informed the operator that me and my husband have been together all morning, so it wasn't us. The operator then asked me for my reservation number which I gave to her. She then stated "oh there are two people with the same name checking-in tonight." Second lie! She then asked what time we wanted to check-in. I told her as soon as possible. She said we could check in at 12:00 noon.Third lie!

My husband and I then proceeded to gather our small children and make the long drive to the hotel. We arrived at 12:00 noon on the dot. When we arrived the front desk informed us that they don't have any rooms available and that they don't check in until 4 p.m. Based on the lies I was told earlier, I informed the front desk that I had called ahead for early check-in and that there are two reservations with the same name, I thought maybe they were looking up the wrong name. The front desk then informed us that there was only 1 reservation with my husband's first and last name, they also informed us that their early check-in is only a waiting list and not a guarantee. They informed us that they would call us when a room was available. We never got a call. We ended up checking-in at the regular check in time.

First of all why all the lies. If the check in policy is 4, and there is a waiting list, just say so. Don't proceed to lie and tell me someone else already has already called in, as well as tell me we could check in at 12. I have two small children, we had to wait around for 4 hours in the nearest mall until regular check-in. We had to pay for parking! It was a overall nightmare. If we knew that check-in was strictly at 4:00 or that their was a waiting list, we would have waited in comfort somewhere else. Most importantly, I don't appreciate being lied too. There is absolutely no cause for it. The request was I had was not a complicated one. It was a simple request. If they lie about simple things, what else are they dishonest about. I if I can help it, i will not book another reservation with a Marriott hotel. I am paying way too much money to be lied too.

dovescry21
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed in the hotel while traveling to DC for a graduation. We stayed in a room with two double beds. The hotel room was great! The beds were very soft and comfortable. No complaints there! The bathrooms were very typical for a hotel...nothing extraordinary. The shower had great water pressure so I'm always good with that! I really enjoyed the flavored water when you first walked into the hotel. A very nice touch. Everyday they have real fruit infused water waiting for hotel guest! Wow, what a nice touch. We relaxed one night at the bar/lounge area. I loved that they had a LARGE area for friends and family to gather with a ton of seating, tables and couches. This hotel was perfect for our stay and I would recommend it for business travelers as well as families. The only down side is that there is no self parking and it's quite expensive to valet a rental car but it's like that everywhere in DC.

Wheeling, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was our second time staying at this hotel and again it was an excellent stay. Came to this hotel to visit and tour all the sites and sounds of DC. Easy access to Metro in mall area. Clean rooms, wonderful friendly staff. Room rates were very reasonable. I disagreed with the pay for the internet in your room and of course could not figure out why I had to pay $26.00 at day to park my car in the parking garage. Excellent pool and other amenities. This hotel is right on top of the Crystal city Mall and most importantly the Metro. We parked our car and never had to get back in till it was time to leave. Every staff member said hello when we crossed paths, made you feel welcome. Room was very clean and comfortable. We asked for a fridge when we arrived and within 1/2 it was there. Love this place and can't wait till we come back again for the 3rd time.

Room Tip: Are room faced the Jefferson Highway, nice view. Last visit it was on the other side and face apart...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Leominster, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Since hotels in DC are more expensive, this is a perfect hotel if you want to be close to DC, but not there.
The hotel itself is great. Beautiful, clean and well decorated. Nice bar with expensive drinks, but....you should have expected that.
You are received by professionals as you check in and they are efficient and helpful. There was one glitch. My son and I checked in and of them told me that a room with two beds was going to be ready in just a minute. So, we stood by waiting for an hour. At some point, my son was getting tired, so I asked another person at the front desk if the room was almost ready. She found a room immediately and went on our business.

1- The elevators are a hassle at times. During peak times, early mornings and evenings taking the elevators can be a nightmare. I actually waited 15 minutes for one and everyone was full to capacity. I ended up taking the stairs from the 10th floor, but there is no access to the actual floor after the 2nd so I ended up in the back of the kitchen somewhere. Yes, the elevators are the biggest pain in the butt here.

2- Wifi. Wifi is free at the lobby only. When you are up in your room it’s a charge. Stupid. It actually doesn't cost more to provide internet access to guests. They simply want to make more money. As a good Christian I refuse to pay expensive fees simply to check my email and update Facebook.

3- Unless you have a car or have rented one like I did, there is nothing within walking distance after hours. After early evening, the closest restaurant is about a mile. Not much else. I had a car, so I was able to drive, but since we are reviewing for others, I think this would annoy some people.

The pros-----
Close to DC
Easy access if driving or if taking the train
Amazing view
Free Wifi in the lobby
Nice Gym
Nice pool and hot tub

The Cons----
Not the best neighborhood
Not restaurants within walking distance
The wifi. It costs money from your room
The elevators
A few less attentive staffers

Room Tip: You can park in the underground parking of the mall next door. Free on weekends.
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Hotel was nice but obviously primarily a business hotel. However, it was very convenient for the metro, and freeway entrance to go into Washington DC was around the corner from hotel. Being near Crystal City mall was very handy too. Only complaint was the slow elevators during the busy times (check in and check out times). Sometimes the wait was about 10-15 minutes. A couple of people got tired of waiting and decided to take the stairs, from the sixth floor! All in all, a nice hotel and pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed over the Memorial Day weekend. Had stayed here in years past, but not recently. Check in was very efficient and fast, had a room in the Arlington Tower with a King bed. Room in good condition, however, mattress was such that I rolled to the middle of the bed I assume because the mattress was old. Wasn't uncomfortable, just a little awkward. The room had a refrigerator as well.

The housekeeping staff was great, did a very thorough job of cleaning the room for my entire stay, three nights. Internet access was an extra fee in the room, free in the lobby. Room service menu was limited for this size hotel, basic fare and not a lot of choices. Had breakfast buffet which was good and reasonably priced. The servers at breakfast were slow, talked a lot to each other in different languages, didn't seem overly concerned with the customers. Had to wait too long for my check as my original waiter disappeared for a while. Could be better.

I noticed that the elevators were not cleaned regularly as there were remnants of a muffin in one elevator for a couple of days.

The hotel was very close to the airport (Reagan). Web site says that this hotel does not provide shuttle service, so I did take a taxi, but I did see a shuttle in use, so not sure why the web site says that. Only one metro stop from Reagan, an option I took to get back to the airport. US Air has a separate check in area when you come off the metro into the airport which is really really convenient.

So, overall, a well located hotel with some glitches in the little items that need attention. I would stay there again based on the overall experience as long as I got a good deal as I did for this trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Crystal Gateway Marriott? Share your experiences!