“Great for visiting DC... here are my 3 annoyances” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up to 25% in No. VA
Ranked #18 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Leominster, Massachusetts
“Great for visiting DC... here are my 3 annoyances”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Since hotels in DC are more expensive, this is a perfect hotel if you want to be close to DC, but not there.
The hotel itself is great. Beautiful, clean and well decorated. Nice bar with expensive drinks, but....you should have expected that.
You are received by professionals as you check in and they are efficient and helpful. There was one glitch. My son and I checked in and of them told me that a room with two beds was going to be ready in just a minute. So, we stood by waiting for an hour. At some point, my son was getting tired, so I asked another person at the front desk if the room was almost ready. She found a room immediately and went on our business.

1- The elevators are a hassle at times. During peak times, early mornings and evenings taking the elevators can be a nightmare. I actually waited 15 minutes for one and everyone was full to capacity. I ended up taking the stairs from the 10th floor, but there is no access to the actual floor after the 2nd so I ended up in the back of the kitchen somewhere. Yes, the elevators are the biggest pain in the butt here.

2- Wifi. Wifi is free at the lobby only. When you are up in your room it’s a charge. Stupid. It actually doesn't cost more to provide internet access to guests. They simply want to make more money. As a good Christian I refuse to pay expensive fees simply to check my email and update Facebook.

3- Unless you have a car or have rented one like I did, there is nothing within walking distance after hours. After early evening, the closest restaurant is about a mile. Not much else. I had a car, so I was able to drive, but since we are reviewing for others, I think this would annoy some people.

The pros-----
Close to DC
Easy access if driving or if taking the train
Amazing view
Free Wifi in the lobby
Nice Gym
Nice pool and hot tub

The Cons----
Not the best neighborhood
Not restaurants within walking distance
The wifi. It costs money from your room
The elevators
A few less attentive staffers

Room Tip: You can park in the underground parking of the mall next door. Free on weekends.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

706 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Hotel was nice but obviously primarily a business hotel. However, it was very convenient for the metro, and freeway entrance to go into Washington DC was around the corner from hotel. Being near Crystal City mall was very handy too. Only complaint was the slow elevators during the busy times (check in and check out times). Sometimes the wait was about 10-15 minutes. A couple of people got tired of waiting and decided to take the stairs, from the sixth floor! All in all, a nice hotel and pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed over the Memorial Day weekend. Had stayed here in years past, but not recently. Check in was very efficient and fast, had a room in the Arlington Tower with a King bed. Room in good condition, however, mattress was such that I rolled to the middle of the bed I assume because the mattress was old. Wasn't uncomfortable, just a little awkward. The room had a refrigerator as well.

The housekeeping staff was great, did a very thorough job of cleaning the room for my entire stay, three nights. Internet access was an extra fee in the room, free in the lobby. Room service menu was limited for this size hotel, basic fare and not a lot of choices. Had breakfast buffet which was good and reasonably priced. The servers at breakfast were slow, talked a lot to each other in different languages, didn't seem overly concerned with the customers. Had to wait too long for my check as my original waiter disappeared for a while. Could be better.

I noticed that the elevators were not cleaned regularly as there were remnants of a muffin in one elevator for a couple of days.

The hotel was very close to the airport (Reagan). Web site says that this hotel does not provide shuttle service, so I did take a taxi, but I did see a shuttle in use, so not sure why the web site says that. Only one metro stop from Reagan, an option I took to get back to the airport. US Air has a separate check in area when you come off the metro into the airport which is really really convenient.

So, overall, a well located hotel with some glitches in the little items that need attention. I would stay there again based on the overall experience as long as I got a good deal as I did for this trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was a guest here for a nursing conference. Excellent room service, excellent room and not so much the view. I looked down on the swimming pool. But I wasn't in my room much. The concierge was very helpful in getting me a "hop on, hop off", bus tour around Washington. I took advantage of this twice. Hotel is very comfortable and very close to Washington DC. I was very pleased with my state at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The hotel is geared toward conventions/large groups.
Elevator can get crowded at peak times.
They let me check in at 9 am - major bonus!
If you have a room on the airport side of the hotel, you can expect some additional noise from airport and street traffic.
Room service was prompt and accurate.
The bed was amazingly comfortable.
Airport shuttle was prompt and the driver was friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms on the far side of the airport are a bit quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bellflower, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel while I attended a seminar for work. The room was nice and very clean. We ate at the restaurant downstairs and the food was good-not spectacular- but good. Our waiter was a man named Joseph who was an exceptional person as well as a waiter - if you ever go to this restaurant in the hotel, give him a great big hug! There were a few other employees in this restaurant that were not very genuine and I felt that they didn't like what they did for a living. I understand that everyone has a bad day, but we stayed at the hotel for a week and the same staff members in the restaurant seemed to be having a "bad day" the whole time we were there. The other hotel staff was very kind and helpful. We didn't have a lot of extra time while we were there (I was in the seminar most days) but we did get a chance to take the train into DC and check out some of the awesome attractions. Overall, it was a great experience :).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Calverton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stay at this Marriott twice a year for trips to DC. The metro is located in the underground, just about 4 or 5 stops from most of the sites in the district. There are many good restaurants within an easy walk from the hotel. The mount Vernon bike path is around back of the hotel. The breakfast buffet is outstanding! The restaurant staff goes above and beyond to be sure you have whatever you need. Rooms are spacious and very clean and nicely appointed. Pool and hot tub really nice after bicycle touring all day.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Marriott Crystal Gateway? Share your experiences!