“Fantastic base to call home when visiting Washington DC” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15% This Summer!
Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
perth, western australia
“Fantastic base to call home when visiting Washington DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed here for four nights, and used it as a home base. We were out all day and night, visiting all the attractions Washington DC has to offer. The Metro on your doorstep, shopping, restaurants, makes everything all within easy reach. The rooms were large, and had everything you needed for a peaceful, safe holiday. I would definitely recommend to anyone visiting the area. Marvin at the front reception was very helpful, and managed to find us a room for aavery early check in, which was great. The concierge ladies were also very helpful when we needed to ask any questions. Great staff, excellent location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

The price, even with the conference discount, was a ridiculous $259+tax per night, and that only provided a standard Marriot business hotel experience. Nothing extraordinary, nothing terrible, just as expected. Luckily the conference wireless extended to my room on the 3rd floor, and that was great as it had IPv6 connectivity. The meeting rooms were good, as was the provided lunch.

Room Tip: ask for a room far from elevators which are loud
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

First visit to Washington DC, and like any major City many hotels, and prices to choose from. We chose this hotel due to a superb location, a free shuttle operates to Regan Airport. The hotel adjoins a shopping mall, and the metro. Three blocks away is the Pentagon City Mall, where the Open Top city tour bus stops.
The hotel is the standard Marriott offering, of spacious comfortable rooms, and all the requisite amenities. Like many we rarely take breakfast in the hotel, but on this occasion we did, and it was first class and good value.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Convenient to the touring of Washington the hotel has a direct entrance to the METRO--subway train. If you are a Senior, get the train to the "Metro Station" or "Pentagon" and get your Senior 'Smart Card.' Back at the hotel, it is comforting to have a glass of wine, beer, or soda in the open air lobby. You can even get the same food (and price) there as in the restaurant. Rooms are comfortable. We stayed on the second floor near the workout room and over the pool. But after 10:00 things quieted down. The concierge was helpful, and arranged trips and tickets.

Room Tip: If you are going to a function in the ballroom or smaller business rooms, get a room in that tower...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

The location of Crystal Gateway is great....right on the Crystal City underground with easy access to the metro. The hotel is nice, seems pretty standard -- a hotel room you'd find almost anywhere. It was clean, bed was comfortable, quiet. I stayed in the Arlington Tower which seems far away from the lobby. It's manageable though. I was in town for work, but not at a conference in the hotel - so I used the metro.

I really miss that lots of hotels took the mini bar out, it's a shame. Maybe all you want is a glass of wine but room service would just make it not worth it. I did however, buy a bottle of wine at the Market Basket in the underground and drank it all week. So, the hotel just lost money. I also don't like when a hotel doesn't even have bottles of water for you.

So -- clean, nice, you won't be sorry but there are no extras.

Billings, Montana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

When Checking in I was told that my rate for Sunday night would not be the $118 as promised at the time of making my reservation. I told them that I was part of the History Bee and there were special rates of $132 and I was told that there were no more rooms left at the price??? I stayed in the same room the whole time this all seems like a scam. Instead I was told that other rooms in the area were being sold for $800 and I was lucky to only pay the $269 double what I was budgeting. When finally getting into my room I found the room really not up to your stars. There was a previous guests contact container under the bed, The drawers were so sticky and gross I was not able to even put my clothes in them, The comforter had a big brown stain down the center of it and the shower curtain was filthy with big spit and black marks down it. I will never stay here again and since my son is a sophomore there will probably be two more trips to the History Bee. Thank god there are other Hotels close. I did however enjoy the staff in the lounge they were all very friendly. When visiting the pool area I found it to be filthy also. Hangers in the trees and inches of dirt behind all of the chairs and although there was a pool attendant he was not doing anything other than sitting in a chair texting on his phone. As a General Manager in Hospitality I was really put off by all of this and think it is time for the GM of the Crystal Gateway to step out of the office and start walking around the hotel to see what is really going on. Tonight I went to buy my son a candy bar and it was in a bin marked $2 and I was charged $2.75 when bringing up the fact that I was being over charged and pointing to the sticker marked $2 I was argued with and told the sticker was wrong. If the sticker is wrong it should be changed and the customer should not have to pay for someone's laziness. I am all the way from Montana and I don't think in all of my travels that I have been so angry in any hotel. I work for Sodexo and all of the staff there travels quite frequently...I will always suggest that they never stay here.

Room Tip: Don't choose one here
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Franklin Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was there for a conference at the hotel, therefore the choice to stay there was made for me. Having said that, it was a very good location.

They do have a shuttle from Reagan. Airport is right next door. The hotel is a little dated, but by in large, good condition. Not necessarily a place to go with your special someone, but good place for a meeting.

Room was clean. No scum or grunge in bathroom! Good water pressure in showers and HOT water. Beds were comfortable. TV system was a little screwy. Hard to change channels and slow. Guide system needs updating. The internet was OK, but again, another location that wants to charge for usage. Can you please just raise my rate a little and include it. Elevators were average speed. No real complaint there. Room service one night was very good, prompt.

The lobby area was nice. Good bar area with places to sit. Several places throughout the lobby for gathering with folks for meetings and jam sessions. That was nice. Bagel and coffee place was good. Did not try eating at the in house restaurant. There are several great offerings in the area. A tunnel from the lobby leads to the Metro. Several shops in the tunnel for treats, quick breakfast, drugs store for stuff you forgot, etc. Once on the Metro, you can go anywhere. Fairly easy to figure out (my second time using the system). Ballrooms and meeting areas were good. Fairly well laid out.

If you like to run or bike, the Mt Vernon Trail is 2 blocks away. A real treat. Paved trail goes all the way from the monuments downtown to Mt Vernon. They have a system of bike rental if you choose to take that route. I ran on the paved trail. Seemed very safe. Kind of a kick watching the planes come in overhead for Reagan.

Would not mind staying there again for business.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Crystal Gateway Marriott? Share your experiences!