“Not really bad, but I won't be back” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up to 25% in No. VA
Ranked #18 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Not really bad, but I won't be back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Overall, this is actually a pretty good hotel, so I had to rate it at least average. However, the accumulation of little things (it's always the little things, isn't it?) made it a "not to be repeated" experience for me.

One very unexpected annoyance was the pillows. We were restricted to one enormous hard pillow and one tiny soft pillow, and there was no way I could get a comfortable combination out to them. Stayed here three nights and had no luck either getting more pillows or figuring out how to make these work.

Another problem was the poor bathroom layout. While in the shower, there is no place for your towel located anywhere close to the tub. Even without a shelf, you would think they could at least put a hook on the wall somewhere.

Parking is also a bit of a nuisance. Self-parking costs $24 a day, which is to be expected here, but the hotel is split into two towers with two separate elevator systems and separate parking garages. You can't get from one to the other except through the lobby, and it would have been nice if the front desk could have told me which tower I was in when I checked in. There is no indication of which side you're on except a couple of small signs that let you decode it from your room number. Naturally, the obvious entrance to the garage area was for the tower my room was not in.

On the plus side, this place is very convenient to the Metro and Crystal City shops, which is definitely a good thing. Also, there is an Einstein Bros. bagel shop in the lobby. While they get overwhelmed at times with convention customers, they deal with it pretty well, and the food and coffee are excellent. Too bad they are only open in the morning.

On my next trip to this area, I will look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

704 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Miller Place, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

For a two night stay to visit the Washington DC area this Marriott was ideally located. It is directly above a Metro station (Crystal City station) which can be accessed from an underground walkway in the hotel lobby. Our 8th floor room was lovely and the bed, sheets, and pillows were "oh so comfortable." All of the DC points of interest were under 5 miles from this hotel which made it very easy to see all we wanted to during our short stay.

The night we arrived, parking was a problem at the Marriott as their on site lot was full (in the end this saved us $48 in parking). We were directed to park at the Crystal City Shops visitor parking, 1750 Crystal Drive between 18th Street and 15th (after 4pm AND on Saturdays and Sundays this parking lot is FREE). We dropped all our bags at the lobby and after parking realized it was an easy "bag-free" 1 block walk.

On our first night we visited the hotel bar and although we enjoyed the drinks, people and atmosphere the bartender was so lacking in personality we never saw him smile or act "friendly" toward customers in any way.

Lastly, the Marriott continues to have an antiquated policy of charging for internet access in the room ($12.95). As a traveler staying at a $250+ a night location, this particular policy irks me since I enjoy checking my email and catching up briefly on my local news in the comfort and privacy of my room (not a lobby). Maybe Marriott needs reminding that "people are their business." Offering free internet access in rooms is an easy way to meet the needs of today's guests.

Minor complaints aside, the hotel is perfectly located and the over all comfort of our stay was great!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

In the past 15 years, i have stayed here perhaps 50 times. The property sits on top of a Metro station and has a comp shuttle to the airport. I travel for the Goverment and the "Government Rate" is usually but not always, available. On a 2 day stay recently, I was disappointed to find the property beginning to show its age. Two items in particular were troublesome. The elevators were out of order for much of the stsy. There was a large conference there at the time that exacerbated the problems. On two mornings I was late for appointments downtown having been stranded on the 12th floor. One day, I waited 30 minutes for the elevator, unable to join my fellow guests descending by stairs due to arthritic knees.. Another issue is the Concierge Lounge". Access to this has alesys been a cherished perk for Marriott's frequent guests and this property's snacks and breakfasts have been teriffic. No more. The evening offerings during my last visit were frankly subpar, running to cut-up Kraft cheese slices a d celery and carrot sticks. Breakfast was the same thing every day...watery scrambled eggs. This probably sounds picky but for a place where the Government rate is $250 a night, little things mean a lot.

South Suburban Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have stayed at the Marriott Crystal Gateway several times over the last 20 years. It has been a top quality hotel ever since my first stay. I remember years ago, the hotel was sold out and although I had a reservation; because I was a loyal Marriott Rewards member; they did not put me out. In fact, they allowed me to stay in the Presidential Suite until a suitable room became available!

It is really cool to have the Promenade connected to the hotel where you can go underground and shop and go to many quality stores and restaurants - - even take the Metro without having to go outside in the rain. The only thing that changed in all these years was that their nightclub turned into a sports bar - - - - I REALLY miss the Dance Floor and the Music!

The Concierge Room is a pure delight; the staff is always so nice and courteous and you have a nice scenic view of the area. Although I am mainly there for Legislative Conferences, I would not mind bringing family and friends there to enjoy it.

They have free shuttle service from the Reagan airport which is only 10 minutes away. Plus the Metro is only a short ride to Pentagon City Mall, a favorite for the ladies. If this is your first trip to the Washington DC area and you are going up to Capitol Hill, this is the perfect place for you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Winthrop, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This hotel is one of the best run hotels I have ever stayed in. It is in a perfect location, only minutes away from Reagan International Airport and the Crystal City area has many cute little shops and excellent restaurants for you to explore. With its own metro subway stop, it makes it so easy to get in Washington, DC and explore around the Mall, Georgetown, the Triangle, etc. Hop on the metro and explore Arlington National Cemetary for a emotional view of our Nation's history.

The staff at the hotel are outstanding. We arrived early and was told our room was available. Yay! The front desk then explained all we needed to know about the hotel and the surrounding area. The concierge was helpful when we asked about the airport shuttle when we were leaving and the bell person after giving us our bags when we were leaving, knew my daughter wasn't feeling well kept on checking on us and made sure we got a taxi. The rooms are nice and clean and in fact, the entire hotel is in a constant state of "sparkle and shine". I can't say enough about how much we loved this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
layton, utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

I frequently stay here for business. Can't beat the location if you work in Crystal City. The only negative is it might be difficult for elderly to get to from the underground. Its a steep ramp to the hotel and a little bit of a walk to the elevators. Close to food and shops. Service is good.

Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Convenient and friendly free shuttle service from National airport. Comfy bed in clean room. Coffee maker, hair dryer, decent soaps and lotions provided. My only complaint was the shower in my room needed a better seal as it was spurting water onto the ceiling iabove the tub. Friendly staff. Quick check in. Loved the ease of access to the Crystal City metro station which made it a breeze getting to Union Station.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Marriott Crystal Gateway? Share your experiences!