“Slipping Slowly to Average” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up to 25% in No. VA
Ranked #18 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Tallahassee, Florida
“Slipping Slowly to Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

In the past 15 years, i have stayed here perhaps 50 times. The property sits on top of a Metro station and has a comp shuttle to the airport. I travel for the Goverment and the "Government Rate" is usually but not always, available. On a 2 day stay recently, I was disappointed to find the property beginning to show its age. Two items in particular were troublesome. The elevators were out of order for much of the stsy. There was a large conference there at the time that exacerbated the problems. On two mornings I was late for appointments downtown having been stranded on the 12th floor. One day, I waited 30 minutes for the elevator, unable to join my fellow guests descending by stairs due to arthritic knees.. Another issue is the Concierge Lounge". Access to this has alesys been a cherished perk for Marriott's frequent guests and this property's snacks and breakfasts have been teriffic. No more. The evening offerings during my last visit were frankly subpar, running to cut-up Kraft cheese slices a d celery and carrot sticks. Breakfast was the same thing every day...watery scrambled eggs. This probably sounds picky but for a place where the Government rate is $250 a night, little things mean a lot.

697 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
South Suburban Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have stayed at the Marriott Crystal Gateway several times over the last 20 years. It has been a top quality hotel ever since my first stay. I remember years ago, the hotel was sold out and although I had a reservation; because I was a loyal Marriott Rewards member; they did not put me out. In fact, they allowed me to stay in the Presidential Suite until a suitable room became available!

It is really cool to have the Promenade connected to the hotel where you can go underground and shop and go to many quality stores and restaurants - - even take the Metro without having to go outside in the rain. The only thing that changed in all these years was that their nightclub turned into a sports bar - - - - I REALLY miss the Dance Floor and the Music!

The Concierge Room is a pure delight; the staff is always so nice and courteous and you have a nice scenic view of the area. Although I am mainly there for Legislative Conferences, I would not mind bringing family and friends there to enjoy it.

They have free shuttle service from the Reagan airport which is only 10 minutes away. Plus the Metro is only a short ride to Pentagon City Mall, a favorite for the ladies. If this is your first trip to the Washington DC area and you are going up to Capitol Hill, this is the perfect place for you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Winthrop, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This hotel is one of the best run hotels I have ever stayed in. It is in a perfect location, only minutes away from Reagan International Airport and the Crystal City area has many cute little shops and excellent restaurants for you to explore. With its own metro subway stop, it makes it so easy to get in Washington, DC and explore around the Mall, Georgetown, the Triangle, etc. Hop on the metro and explore Arlington National Cemetary for a emotional view of our Nation's history.

The staff at the hotel are outstanding. We arrived early and was told our room was available. Yay! The front desk then explained all we needed to know about the hotel and the surrounding area. The concierge was helpful when we asked about the airport shuttle when we were leaving and the bell person after giving us our bags when we were leaving, knew my daughter wasn't feeling well kept on checking on us and made sure we got a taxi. The rooms are nice and clean and in fact, the entire hotel is in a constant state of "sparkle and shine". I can't say enough about how much we loved this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
layton, utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

I frequently stay here for business. Can't beat the location if you work in Crystal City. The only negative is it might be difficult for elderly to get to from the underground. Its a steep ramp to the hotel and a little bit of a walk to the elevators. Close to food and shops. Service is good.

Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Convenient and friendly free shuttle service from National airport. Comfy bed in clean room. Coffee maker, hair dryer, decent soaps and lotions provided. My only complaint was the shower in my room needed a better seal as it was spurting water onto the ceiling iabove the tub. Friendly staff. Quick check in. Loved the ease of access to the Crystal City metro station which made it a breeze getting to Union Station.

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This is the second time me and my husband have stayed here and it was a very nice stay. It's your standard Marriott which all the same nice amenities and accommodations. We were kindly greeted and upgraded to a jr. suite (we are Gold members) by a nice young lady named Louise. She was very pleasant and made the start to our few day getaway to celebrate my 50th very nice. She went out of her to share a nice smile and to ask us if everything was ok whenever we saw her in the lobby. That was a warm feeling and made us feel special. Thanks, Louise! The room was very nice and had a nice view. Housekeeping was good and friendly. Be sure to stop by the concierge desk and ask for a coupon book which has savings for some of the local restaurants such as King Street Blues (bbq restaurant with good and reasonable drinks and happy hour); the coupon is for buy one get one entree free. nice deal along with other good deals nearby such as at Cold Stone icrecream (yummy)... Since the concierge lounge is closed on weekend, we were able to eat free continential breakfast (including hot oatmeal and various breads and fruits but no meat or omeletts included. If you want the full breakfast, you can pay a few dollars. It's nice being a Gold member and getting the break on breakfast and room upgrades as available. I'd like to be Platinum but until then... Anyway, breakfast on the weekdays in the concierge lounge and evening appetizers are a bit light but will suffice since it's complimentary. Usually, though, most Marriott's have a bit more to choose from on their complimentary selection in the lounge. The mac and cheese offered as an evening appetizer sometimes is really good but a little disappointing that there is no meat appetizer to go along with it. So, plan on enjoying the free drinks, whole fruit and bag of snacks/popcorn if i recall correctly (fyi - liquor is available on the honor system to charge to your room, but you do get to fix your own drink). The lounge is small but nice and the older woman (maybe of int'l descent) was extremely nice and helpful; so sorry I forgot her name but she made our time in the concierge lounge very enjoyable.
The best part of this hotel is that is connected via the underground tunnel to the rail system/subway, the other Marriott which is called Crystal City, and the many shops and restaurants - all inside the well lit pathways. We did eat at King Street Blues two nights because the ribs were great the first night but the second night the ribs were not so good. Not sure what happened but I was a bit disappointed on the second visit. The prices are reasonable though and I might consider trying something else if I dare go back. I was not sure whether to book the Marriott Gateway or the Marriott Crystal City with are on opposite corners. The Gateway where we stayed was very nice and the lobby was large and nice but the Crystal City lobby was rather small from what I could see walking by and I recall the reviews were better at the Gateway. We were very pleased with our selection of the Marriott Gateway and will plan to stay here whenever in DC until a closer Marriott hotel in downtown can beat the price which is unlikely. Oh, the shops in the tunnel from the Marriott seems to close rather early but the restaurants stay open later. There are also many restaurants in the area along the main streets within walking distance. We went to Buffalo Wild Wings or was it BW3 (humm) nearby and it was good and they had a nice crowd but we ordered takeout. It only is a couple to few stops on the subway to get downtown and only takes about 10-15 min. if that. Very convenient and easy to use the subway. They don't offer all day passes on the subway so be sure to buy the plastic subway card instead of the paper ticket or else you will pay $1 more each way. To be clear of this procedure and the best option for your travel, check with the subway attendants who are very friendly/helpful as well. It's nice that the museums are free and there is so much to see! We happened to be there during the annual book fair downtown which is free to browse and lots of talks by authors. It was very nice and they gave out tote bags and plenty of little goodies for children. I will plan to bring my grandchildren next year because the children's book area and play area looked awesome. We enjoyed the authors who we listened to throughout the couple days that we stopped by. The Dr. King memorial is amazing and it was very touching to see this newly added memorial. It's a little hard to find (not quite on the mall but further up) so just ask for directions.
Overall, the trip to DC is great and the hotel was nice as usual for Marriotts!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Crystal Gateway for 7 days while at a professional conference. The room was clean, large and the bed was very comfortable. The restaurant was excellent, especially the wait staff. In fact, everyone who worked at the hotel was friendly and helpful. We appreciated that the Metro and the shopping mall were so close. The mall had some good eating establishments, Starbucks and a RiteAid drugstore. My only complaint about the hotel was the elevators. They booked a conference for 1000 guests and did not make sure the 4 elevators were functioning properly. With only one working elevator for the first 2 days of our conference, those who could climbed the stairs several times as it was quicker then waiting. This is not what I expect from a Marriott.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Crystal Gateway? Share your experiences!