“Great Choice for DC Visit” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up to 25% in No. VA
Ranked #18 of 47 hotels in Arlington
Houston, Texas
“Great Choice for DC Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is a great hotel both to be close to the Reagan Airport (such as for an early morning flight) or as a convenient alternative to staying in downtown DC. It is an "airport hotel" close to the Reagan Airport, and offers a free airport shuttle every 20 minutes. The shuttle was on time and fast. The hotel also is connected through an underground tunnel system to the DC Metro system (only a few stops away) and to a number of small shops and restaurants located in the tunnel system. This proximity to Metro makes it extremely convenient as a hotel for DC visitors who don't need (or want) to stay in the middle of DC. In fact, it is located closer to a Metro station than are many downtown hotels, making it easier to explore DC using Metro from here than it would be from a lot of hotels downtown. My room had a direct line of sight to the Capitol dome, a better view than I have ever had in a downtown hotel. The hotel is one Metro stop away from Pentagon City, which is a large shopping area with a number of great restaurants and other stores. The Pentagon itself is only two stops away, and the airport only one stop away in the other direction, if you don't want to take the shuttle. The hotel itself was extremely comfortable and the staff was wonderful. I definitely would consider using this hotel for future visits to DC.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

705 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Oak Ridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I love staying at this hotel. It is on top of the Metro station (although the signs are truly confusing about which Marriott is which), has a ton of amenities, the gym is very well equipped, the rooms were huge, and the service is terrific. Everyone smiles and everyone tries to help. Two small issues come to mind. the first is the charge for Internet. you know if you read myb logs that I believe charging or internet is akin to charging for towels so I hate when hotels are so cost cheap that they charge for internet. The other drawback has to do with the room we rented for our business meeting. They insisted that we pay hundreds of dollars for food service that we really did not need. Another example of nickle and diming the customer. Other than that, is is a great hotel and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Pierre, South Dakota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Nothing special with this Marriott property. It is definitely showing its age, although there appear to be attempts to perform some updates. The eleveators were extremely slow and for two days in a row, 2 out of the 3 elevators were inoperable for a portion of the day. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I was very disappointed with the pool/spa area. The beds were very comfortable, and for an older hotel, I was very pleased with how clean the room was. I would stay here again with out hesitation, primarily because of the high level of customer service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Rogers, Arkansas, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is an older hotel, but overall it has been kept up to date. The one exception is that the only WIFI they have is in the lobby (and it isn't very good). The bar/restaurant which is open late had awesome food and drinks. There needed to be much more room for seating. They do have other restaurants which I did not visit. The service was great and the staff was polite and helpful. The location is right on top of a Metro station, so getting around is very easy. Rooms are pricey, but so are other hotels in this area. Beds are SUPER soft. My wife loved it, but it was a little too soft for me. I would stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
a small town near Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was our first stay at the Crystal City Mariott. The airport shuttle was very convenient and the drivers were very helpful and friendly. We arrived at about 8:00 am. Although our requested early checking was not gaurenteed we were immediately given a room, for which we were very thankful as our day had begun at 3:30 am. All staff that we came into contact with were friendly and efficient.
We had a room on the seventh floor in the Arlington Tower. It was spacious, very clean and very comfortable. The bed was excellent and enabled us to get a good nights sleep.
The hotel is very convenient to the Metro which we used to get back and forth to the Smithsonian area. It is not necessary to go outside in order to access the Metro as it is located in an undergraound shopping mall right through a tunnel from the hotel.
We did not eat at the hotel as we followed other trip advisor recommendations for eating outside the hotel.
We will definitely stay at this hotel when we return to Washington.

Room Tip: If your schedule allows, go on a weekend. Hotels seem to be much less expensive then.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with work for four days. Overall a great hotel, very clean, quiet. Only real problem is that the elevators can be slow. Metro station is close for access to the national mall and monuments etc. Good restaurants in walking distance and very easy access to Reagan airport ($10 taxi ride)

• Stayed October 2012
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the last 10 years or so and I always find the hotel to be great from the point of view of the location convenience, cleanliness, room size and hotel services. Sometimes my wife travels with me. The problems with the hotel are with their food service. Just 2 of a number of problems are the following: On one occasion we were in the bar and we ordered something to eat. I was served my hamburger and my wife's salmon was nowhere to be found. 5 minutes later, it still hadn't arrived despite the fact that the waiter said that it would arrive right away, 10 minutes later still not there. Finally after 15 minutes it arrived. By that time I had eaten my hamburger. On another occasion, we were in the hotel restaurant for breakfast and I ordered poached eggs. By the way, they seem to make it more difficult to order anything other than the all you can eat buffet. Anyway, my eggs were over done when they arrived and while I was waiting to tell the waiter to take them back, I took a bite of the toast on the plate. There was no problem with the waiter taking my plate back but when he brought my eggs back to me after 10 minutes, t was the same plate with the same toast with the bite mark. Just 2 examples of poor service in the food areas of the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Marriott Crystal Gateway? Share your experiences!