We took a long weekend trip to Washington DC, and were looking for a 2 room suite at a reasonable price. This hotel is just over the river, and very convenient with direct access to the Metro. We were at the Smithsonian stop in 15 minutes from boarding. We arrived during spring break,and boy could you tell! There were groups of students and tourists everywhere! Just be aware that this is a large bustling hotel, and if you are looking quiet and intimacy, this is not your destination!
We reserved a King Suite. The room was spacious, clean and well appointed. The only downside was there was no door between the bedroom and the 'living' area. It wasn't a deal breaker, but we were traveling with 2 14 year old boys, so a little privacy would have been a plus. The main room had a nice eating area that the boys claimed to set up a board game, a large TV, and a pull out loveseat. The bed was full size I believe. We also requested a roll away, and it was delivered within 30 minutes of our check-in. It was a bit tight when the pull out was set up. I had to trip over the boys during the night to get to the bathroom, which was located immediately inside the door as you entered the suite.
Downstairs in the lobby is a bagel shop where you can pick up breakfast in the morning. There was always a line in the morning. We never ate there however, as the boys were more interested in the Dunkin Donuts located at the entrance to the Metro in the Crystal Shops. There is also a Starbucks located in the shops for those of you who prefer their coffee (that was me!). I was confused initially on how to get to the metro and the shops, but no need - from the lobby there is a tunnel that goes under the highway that runs next to the hotel. Everything is enclosed, and you never need to go outside to get to the metro or to the shops.
At night after trooping around Washington, we would ride the Metro back to the hotel, drop the boys off at the room, and go to the lobby bar for a nightcap. It was never crowded, and the bartenders were attentive. Should you need a late night snack (remember the 2 14 yr old boys!) there is a small sundry shop in the lobby that has sodas, chips, and candy, and was open late at night. We did also order room service one night, for the boys, and it arrived quickly, and everything looked very good.
The few downsides - the high cost of internet service meant that we did not have access to email or to any online services. However, the costs were in line with what other hotels are charging. Also the parking fees were an added last minute expense at checkout, but they were a bit cheaper than similar accommodations located within the city.
All around we had a wonderful visit, and I would definitely stay here again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Crystal Gateway Marriott offers an ideal location for vacations, business trips and weekend getaways. We are only one mile from Reagan National Airport and provide complimentary shuttle service to and from for our guests.The Crystal City underground can be accessed from our lobby offering direct access to the Metro system and a multitude of restaurants and shopping. Guests can also take advantage of complimentary WiFi in our lobby and multiple dining options within the hotel including Einstein Bagels. We're also minutes from the sites and sounds of Georgetown, Old Town Alexandria and unbelievable shopping at The Fashion Centre at Pentagon City. Our hotel provides 34,300 sq. ft. of meeting space and 27 meeting rooms with an on-site business center and Hertz rental desk. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, Travelocity, Odigeo, Venere and Otel so you can book your Marriott Crystal Gateway reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Crystal Gateway Hotel Arlington
- Crystal Gateway Marriott
- Marriott Hotel Crystal Gateway
- Marriott Arlington
- Arlington Marriott