“Fantastic expeience!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Fantastic expeience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Just returned from a great weekend trip to DC - weather was perfect. I stayed at the Marriott Gateway in Crystal City with a great weekend rate ($109 included breakfast every morning for two) with my 4 year old son and my mother. The rooms were a touch small for hte three of us, but very comfortable. At checkin, Jim honored my request for a high floor with a view of DC and promptly checked us in. The hotel is so easy to get to from Reagan airport and also has very convenient access to the Metro - don't have to step outside to get to it! The morning breakfast buffet was very good - fresh waffles, omelettes cooked to order, and plenty of fresh/ripe fruit. The service was always very friendly and attentive without being pushy. My son loved the pool - we swam in it every day..the only problem we encountered was one evening, the life guard on duty wouldn't let my son get in the hot tub as they stated the policy was 16 years or older..thought this was only when a child was swimming alone, but the life guard felt it applied regardless whether I supervised or not (can't really hold this against the hotel, as perhaps it's a state law or policy or something?).

Props go out to Keisha Ellis - the manager on duty while checking out. I had a Marriott gift card that one of the staff refused to honor for some reason. I had received this card from my visa gifts program, and the person indicated it could only be used for certain rate codes? WTF? The visa gift card company indicated it could be used at any Marriott and was good as cash. When I asked to speak to a manager, Keisha came over and resolved the matter smoothly and very politely.

All in all - our trip to DC was comfortable, fun, and I definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: High floor, away from the elevator, with a city view!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Stayed at this hotel b/c it was way too expensive to stay in DC during my pleasure trip to see the sights in March 2011.

I. HOTEL: The hotel was great! The lobby is huge with nice seating areas and a good bar. The rooms were spacious, clean, modern, and very comfortable. The entire hotel for that matter was very well maintained. Checked in and out with easy. Staff was friendly and helpful. Indoor pool was like an oasis. Underneath the hotel is a train station, which is your key getting in and out of DC to visit all the sites. There are also some retail stores in the station along with a number of places to grab a bit to eat. The subway system in DC is extremely easy to use and inexpensive. Parking at the hotel was costly, which was the only downside.

II. AREA: Hotel is located in a residential/commercial area. There are a number of restaurants in walking distance and others a short drive away. Overall, the area itself was quiet.

III. SYNOPSIS: Great place to stay when visiting DC. Easy to get around due to the train station right below the hotel. I highly recommend this hotel. It was worth the cost & would plan to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Woodmere, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Short trip to DC. Hotel was excellent. Great service, great breakfast (included in our rate) and outstanding location. Subway was right underneath the hotel accessible through underground passages and within a short ride to central DC.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

I just stayed here 2 nights recently. The hotel is outstanding. the lobby bar service was good. We ate in the restaurant for lunch. The crab cake sandwich was good as was the service. The subway is just underneath making this very convenient. It is 2 stops to the pentagon and 15 mins or so to the smithsonian.The subway area has a couple restaurants. They range from Sbarros at the low end to Morton's steak house on the top end! Something for all!

i really have nothing bad to say!. it is actually a couple towers so the size of the hotel is a little intimidating. It is easy to not find your car if you are not careful!

Housekeeping was very good. The room was cleaned well. There is valet parking or you can park yourself underneath the hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

What makes this hotel special is its location relative to National Airport (one metro stop, although the hotel runs a free to/from shuttle) and once you get there, its underground passageway to the Gallery Shops and the Metro Yellow and Blue lines. Great if the weather is bad. The hotel itself is nice with large rooms and basic amenities. The real downer is the excessive charge ($12.95 per day) for in room internet. Wi-Fi in the lobby is free, however, where boarding passes can be printed. Rates are all over the place, so shop carefully.
Caution: there is another Marriott a block or two from this one called the Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport. Don't confuse the two.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Urbandale, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

Just got back from 5 nights at the Gateway. We definitely made the right decision. Customer service was great, everyone was friendly. Love the location, close to the metro and lots of restaurants. While there was a lot going on at the hotel you wouldn't have known it, it was very quiet at night. Room was clean and nice. Bed really comfortable. Would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Recent stay at the Crystal Gateway showed me a level of customer service I have rarely, if ever, experienced.

On a Saturday night around 7:00, my kids wanted to go swimming. I have a 5yo and a 2yo. When getting out the swim stuff, I discovered I had forgotten to pack a swim diaper for the little one. I went to the lobby; no swim diapers in the store. I was waiting in line to ask the front desk where I may acquire some and the manager, obviously on his way out for the night, asked me how he could help me. I explained the problem. He couldn't come up with an easy solution for us to get a diaper - but said, I'm on my way out, I'll stop and get you some and bring them back. 10 minutes later he was back with swim diapers.

All of this was on his own time, after what was likely a long day. He could have just pointed me to the nearest drugstore and left me to my own devices. Instead, he saved the day. My little one had a fabulous time swimming in the pool.

Other points:
1) When we checked in, the person helping us was very flexible in finding rooms with the right kind of bed configurations for our group (3 rooms) and still keeping us on the same floor.
2) We had a rush order at breakfast, which they dealt with easily.
3) Beds were comfortable; room was nice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Crystal Gateway Marriott? Share your experiences!