“Utilitarian” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Madison, Florida
“Utilitarian”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

After staying for a four day conference, I left with mixed feelings.This hotel has many positives offset by an annoying series of negatives. Aside from cleanliness and safety, I most value warmth and quiet in hotels. I arrived well in advance of check-in at 11:00am and was pleasantly surprised that they had a room available for me. I asked only that it be a quiet one, and was assured it was "at the end of the hall." I went upstairs and as I approached the room found a dirty room service plate and spoon laying on the carpet beside the door. Very off-putting, and made me wonder if there was someone still in the room (I mean would a maid clean a room and not remove a small plate and spoon?). The room was ready and as several other reviewers have mentioned it was warm! Unfortunately, there was little quiet as drink machines were being moved around and staff people were talking in the hallway. There was a one-inch gap between the door and the door jam that made the transmittal of sound very easy. I soon learned that the hotel is situated alongside the flight path for Reagan International airport 3 miles away and the jets descend literally outside the window every few minutes. The noise from the jets, numerous helicopters and the traffic made things way too noisy. I was on the 14th floor and it was NOT quiet. I've stayed at many downtown hotels in Washington as well as other cities and have never had the level of noise experienced here. Additionally the room had two permanently locked doors to adjoining rooms that were in no way sealed to minimize noise. I could hear the person to the left of me coughing and the baby to the right of me crying at midnight. Not good. The room was wonderfully warm, and I was able to adjust the heat to my liking. The food provided for the conference was amazing, kudos to the conference catering staff because they did an outstanding job! My luck with The Vantage Point restaurant on the 17th floor was not as good. I went up there for dinner and ordered Seafood Norfolk (a dish with crumbled crabmeat, scallops and shrimp). It was delivered luke warm and upon being returned after I requested it be made hot it was still luke warm. I tasted the crabmeat, and it was a pile of pieces of crabmeat with crust on it. It appeared to be crumbled up crabcakes. And the crust was burned. The dish was a complete fail. The young server was most gracious, and he did a good job but the meal was a bust. At 8:30pm on another evening, I went down to the little coffee shop in hopes of finding a coffee and a sandwich and the place was locked up. Disappointing. The elevators do move exceptionally slow so maneuvering a large group to and from conference events meant a lot of waiting. The wi-fi was free but very sporadic and undependable. The fitness center is nicely equipped but there are no instructions available about how to use the machines (elliptical). I found all the personnel to be friendly and helpful, but the noise is the deal breaker for me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnRosslyn, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear robspetal,

Thank you for taking the time to write all of your comments about our hotel. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with the service we had to offer and that your meetings went well.
We do ,however, regret hearing that your room accommodations weren't the best. If you ever happen to stay at our location again we will most certainly try to provide you with a nice quiet room so you may sleep tight.

Hotel Management.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Waterloo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Second stay in two years with family. Two teenaged children and spouse. Breakfast a good way to start the day. Lots of fresh fruit, yoghurt, oatmeal.

Dining room staff very personable and welcoming. Only suggestion would be to change up hot buffet a little.

Quiet clean rooms. Free parking is a huge bonus. Great access to everything. Short walk to Georgetown over the Key Bridge. Short walk to subway. Lots of great eateries on Wilson .

Great pool and workout room.

Room Tip: Top floors away from elevators
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear canadafoodiewanabe,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn at Rosslyn. We are very pleased to here that you enjoyed our location and all of the amenities we had to offer. We hope to be able to accommodate you again in the near future so we may be able to continue providing you with the great service you have come to expect.

Holiday Inn Management.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Normally, you think of the top floor of a hotel as the premium area. The penthouse, the best views, etc. Not so here. I stayed on the top floor (for rooms) and was apparently put under the dish washing area of the restaurant. Well into the morning there was noise going on above me. While I am a bit of a heavy sleeper, I couldn't even get to sleep with the noise.

While the room as decent, it was nothing special. I did expect anything more as this is one of the most affordable hotels this close to the primary attractions in DC. It is a few blocks from the Metro, which does make it convenient to getting around the DC area. It was raining when I was there, and there is not covered area to get to the Metro, so that was a bit of a bummer. There aren't a lot of restaurants within walking distance, which also takes away from staying in this area.

Would lower rooms have been ok? My guess is yes. So, the advice for this hotel is don't shoot for the top! Stay lower and enjoy your sleep! Dine elsewhere before coming back to the hotel.

Room Tip: Eat before coming back to your room as there isn't a great selection of food close by. Don't...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear 1960Corvette,

Thank you for taking the time to write feedback on our hotel. We apologize that you were unable to get any sleep while you were here. Our goal is to try and provide the best experience possible for our guests' and unfortunately we weren't able to do so. If you happen to choose our location the next time you are in the area we will try our best to accommodate you with nice quiet room so you can sleep well through the night.

Hotel Management
Belgrade, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I first stayed at this hotel a year ago when I was in DC for a family visit and decided to stay there again for a couple days.

Big mistake.

First, the positives: It is conveniently located just a block from the Rosslyn Metro station and an easy walk across the bridge to Georgetown. The staff are friendly and the breakfast buffet for Priority Club guests is very nice. The view from the 17th floor restaurant is very nice.

However. Upon arrival, I discovered that they apparently completely ignored by room request for 2 double beds and instead put me in a king room. When I reminded them of my request, the only double rooms available were directly across from the elevator (also something I specifically requested be avoided). So I was out of luck for the first night, but they offered to change my room for the 2nd night.

Aside from location, the room was very noisy. The sliding glass windows provided what seemed like no buffer to the sound of jets taking off and landing at DCA (several miles away). The bathroom is very tiny to the point of it being difficult to get in an out of the shower - and the towels and bedding were seriously low end.

There are a lot of other places to stay in this area, and for future visits, I'll be using one of them.

In terms of the facility and location, I would score it 1 star, but the staff really was quite nice - and I hope they are able to get a promotion to a location where the accommodations allow them to provide a better customer experience.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Jay B,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. I am pleased to know that you find our staff nice and our location suited your needs. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay and for the inconvenience the outside noise may have caused. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for.

I hope this would not deter you from choosing us again in the future.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed here at this hotel for a long weekend for my first visit to DC. I got lost and called the hotel for directions. First of all, he didn't know English very well. And when I tried to explain to him where I was, he said "No. I don't want to know street names. Just tell me when you see Lee Street." He was very rude. And later, I told another staff member how rude he had been, and they said "Oh, he's rude to everybody." So why is he there? And I wanted to go swimming in their pool, but there is a creepy guy to watch all the time, so it's uncomfortable. And you can't get to the rooms without taking the elevator after a certain time, and I am claustrophobic. It was terrible and I will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear AKK0320,

Thank you for taking the time to write feedback on our hotel. We apologize that our staff wasn't being very helpful when trying to help with directions. Our goal is to try and provide 100% costumer satisfaction when guest stay at our property. I will relay your comments to the proper departments so we can work together on trying to prevent such incidents from reoccuring. Thank you again for your candid feedback.

Hotel Management
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed here for three nights and will return to this property the next time I’m in the area. The biggest selling points of this property are its location (easy drive from Washington, across the Key Bridge from Georgetown, at a Metro stop) but don’t miss the fact that parking is free and plentiful, the breakfast buffet in the morning is wonderful, and the dinner options are very well prepared. In the restaurant, you can enjoy a lovely view whether at night or in the morning. It was even nice to be up there my final morning when it was foggy! The lobby is being redone but the workers were quiet and I hardly knew they were there each time I came in or went to the front desk. For being in an older building, my room was nice, updated, serviced nicely each day, had a balcony with a view toward Georgetown, and the slight sound of traffic was no problem at all. An odd little note is that the flashing lights you see at night are not tourists taking pictures but of the red light cameras capturing another red light runner! If you are in the area over the weekend, their weekend rates can’t be beat!

Room Tip: I was on the 15th floor facing Georgetown and loved the view and only slight traffic noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Niagara Falls, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is an excellent choice of hotel very close to Georgetown and Washington. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They have definitely changed their attitudes since receiving bad reviews previously. You could tell that they were all really making an effort! Every staff member that we spoke to was attentive, polite and helpful. The lobby was undergoing renovations-we were only able to go to the front desk, and then to the elevators. Many people were working on it daily.
It looks like it will be really nice once it is completed.
The elevators were all in working condition, we never had to wait long for one.
The location is excellent. Georgetown is accessible by walking or driving over the Key Bridge. The Metro stop is one block away and it is a safe area. The staff gave us a small map of the immediate area which lists the local restaurants, stores, grocery and post office, etc. This was very helpful to be able to find what we needed nearby the hotel.
The price of the room was lower than other hotels and the parking was free. The breakfast buffet was great, (although it was the same every day but had lots of choices). Being a Priority Club member, we paid just over $7 plus tip for 2 breakfasts. Our room was clean and the bed was really comfortable. We did not have any problems with the heat, it was never too hot.
We had issues with our room key cards not working and were told by the desk staff that they get demagnetized when exposed to metal detectors. This happened on 2 days we went through security in DC while sightseeing. They quickly gave us new cards to use to get into our room. The management seems to be trying to make improvements with the property and the service.
We definitely would stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge? Share your experiences!