“It’s all about the food” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 676 restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: Pizza
Arlington, Virginia
“It’s all about the food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Ambiance plain and rather dark in the dining room. Set up is confusing. You get your own water, napkins, and silverware, but the food is delivered to your table. Parking limited and tight. It seems the enormous Safeway lot across the street is used for overflow. I don’t know how Safeway feels about that, but it appears only one third of the lot is used by grocery store patrons.
Now for the good part – the amazing, tasty food. This is nothing like Pizza Hut or Dominoes. Made from scratch pizzas, lovely green salads, fried and stuffed risotto balls and other interesting appetizers and side dishes. The in-restaurant menu is more expansive that what is listed on their website. I really want to try everything on the menu and plan to over the next year. The staff was pleasant and helpful.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

85% Recommend
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“OMG, the BEST pizza in NoVa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Look, I have a wood fired pizza oven of my own in my backyard. I'm Italian, and I make a lot of pizzas. trust me when I say I know from pizza. This place is simply the best place to get a "real" pizza Neapolitan style in NoVa. My wife is always chatting with the owner (he's from Naples) in Italian about the quality of the ingredients and the pizzas. He recently expanded the seating area (thank goodness), but it can still get crowded at some hours. You bus your own table here, it's very, very casual - jeans and sweatshirts are fine. Make sure you GRAB a table when you walk in, THEN place your order, otherwise you may end up holding a pizza with no place to sit. But in addition to the pizzas they make great polpette (meatballs), fried zuchinni flowers, and a nice caprese with small grape tomatoes (a different take yes, but it's excellent). The wine list is short, but contains some gems and is reasonably priced. We love this place for a simple casual pizza. Not fancy but OMG is it good.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Atlanta, Georgia
“if you like pizza... this is something a little different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Great local establishment, quality food not quantity food, but portions were appropriate. Would return without hesitation.

Visited December 2012
Arlington, VA
“Hole in the wall location offers excellent pizza!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

If you are going here for the atmosphere go elsewhere, but if you are looking for great pizza using fresh top of the line ingredients, look no further! There is very limited parking and I'm pretty sure we risked getting towed by parking in the lot of the 7-Eleven next door. Thankfully the parking gods were with us that night because our car was there when we go out! Having been forewarned that there could be long waits for tables on a Friday night, we arrived at around 5:30 to beat the rush but it was already quite busy and by the time we left the place was rockin'. We stood in a line to place our order (2 pepperoni and one Diavola/salami pizza, a side salad, rice/sausage balls, bottle of wine & a beer.) Asked the hubby to go grab us a table while I ordered which was a smart move. The girl at the counter was SO nice and patient amid all of the chaos of patrons jostling for position while I asked a few questions about beer selections. She made some beer & wine recommendations that were very good and not the most expensive on the menu. Left a generous tip in the tip jar. After paying, you have to proceed to another room to pick up your beer & wine from a bartender at a bar. He was also very nice and I left him a tip in his jar too. Yet another lady delivered our food which was piping hot. The toppings were very generous, thick cut pepperoni & salami and for a hole in the wall joint, they sure provided a nice arugula salad and 2 large rice/sausage balls oozing cheese. Salad was a reasonable $3.50 and the rice balls were just $4. Pizzas too were just in the $10-12 range. They are supposed to be just large enough for 1 but all 3 of us took at least half of our pizzas home. On the web site the owners say they don't offer table service in order to keep costs down but they are paying for someone at the register to take your order, a bartender in another room and then another person to bring your order to your table. She also made multiple trips. Hello? How is this keeping personnel costs down? Why not take out the entire order counter (which is large) and the bar, put in more tables and eliminate the position of cashier and bartender and consolidate them into wait staff? I also felt torn about who to tip (had to tip 3 times: 1 for cashier, 1 for bartender then 1 for server.) I really feel that would solve a couple of major issues but what do I know? Either way, I will definitely be back because the pizza (and other stuff) is THAT good!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC
“Pizza with character”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

If one pizza chain dares to say: "better ingredients: better pizza" then Pupatella beats them all. Interesting ingredients make their pizzas an interesting and more tasty meal. However, I still may have to get used to their thin pizzas and they way they prepare them. Our order arrived surprisingly quickly and our pizzas had burned crusts but the main ingredients on the pizza were not really hot. Was the oven too hot? Or do their thin pizzas cool faster than the cheese bricks served by the pizza chains.

We'll be back.