“We stayed for two nights and overall out...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Arlington/Washington DC

Bookmark
You added Days Inn Arlington/Washington DC to your Saves list
Days Inn Arlington/Washington DC
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Arlington Boulevard, Route 50 at Ft Myer, Arlington, VA 22201   |
Ranked #48 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
“We stayed for two nights and overall out...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010 via mobile

We stayed for two nights and overall out stay was a comfortable one. Yes it is old and could really use some updates but it was truly clean which was of utmost importance to us. There were no bugs as a previous reviewer mentioned. The staff was courteous and gave us an extra hour to check out. When I booked this place I did not read the reviews because of budget so I was really worried once I have read them. Honestly in our experience it was decent. Pros: location, price, cleanliness, and a really great mediterranean place nearby! Cons: loud due to thin walls and Fort Meyer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

So my husband and I checked in we got this itty bitty room that was scary to begin with it had no room at all and a 1970 type TV the room looked like one of those rooms the cops used to use for prostitution stings it was freaky. We sat down at the table to eat our food and I saw something crawling on the wall my husband went and smashed it and sure enough it was a freakin COCKROACH! I FLIPPED we called the front desk and they switched our room but still YUCK!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010 via mobile

At 7:30 am the maid decided she would just walk on in. The staff was extremely loud and obnoxious while cleaning nearby rooms. The manager was rude and said "well what do you want me to do about it?" when I explained the situation. This place was creepy, uncomfortable and in a crappy location. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

Planned 3 night stay for business due to attractive location and room rate.
Choice was a big mistake:
- Filthy room (soiled carpet, walls, furniture, fixtures, curtains)
- Broken furniture
- Bath and bed room fixtures were all old and corroded.
- Bathroom exterior window would not close or lock shut.
- "Free wireless" did not work.
- Staff ignored a homeless man sleeping on lobby couch (9 AM).
- Desk staff had poor understanding of English language.
I cut my loses after one night and checked out.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

Bottom line up front:
- Worst lodging experience I have ever had.
- Not worth the cheap price
- I do not recommend this hotel

Details:

The good:
~ it is indeed in Arlington, Virginia (and therefore close to Washington DC)

The bad:
~ Customer service is severely lacking, their shuttle schedule is inflexible. I arrived at the shuttle stop 7 minutes after the last shuttle run and they refused to pick me up. When I got there after taking a cab I saw the driver sitting in the lounge talking and drinking coffee.

~ Ridiculously loud popping sound at night. About once an hour there would be a large series of popping sounds by the door. Overall it was not out as loud as a car backfiring but it was louder than someone slamming a door shut. The popping would happen once every couple of seconds for about half a minute. It was loud enough to wake me and my fiancee up.

~ No individual climate control (AC) units. When we got to the hotel the A/C unit was disabled (they removed the temperature control knob to do). I called the front desk to ask if I could turn on the A/C and they said no. I asked if I could just turn the air fan on and they said no. Then the front desk went on to mention that other guests were asking for the same thing....

~ Paper-thin walls. Could clearly hear a guy outside my door talking on his cellphone. He was not yelling, just talking to his family and then making a couple of business calls in a normal tone. I went outside to get something from my car and realized no one was outside and the guy was actually above me. REALLY thin walls---you'll hear everything around you. I used earplugs that night.

~ Sink does not drain. It actually does drain but it just takes a long time. Anything more than a trickle from the faucet and it starts to back up.

~ Old and decrepit, run-down. No one really takes care of the hotel and they certainly don't update anything. All the decor is 1960-1970-ish. Plus it is dirty and worn. Even every day things failed to work. Only 2 out of the 5 lights in our room worked.

~ They actually used yellow "caution" tape to mark off part of the inside of their hotel lobby... which is not a big deal but it does give you the impression that the ownership does not care about the appearance of the hotel.

Other smaller things to consider (all bad):
1. The electrical outlets in the hotel are all two prongs (a problem when you need to recharge your laptop). There's one by the fridge (opposite side of the room from the 'desk').
2. Water damage all over the ceiling in both the bathroom and the main room.
3. 1960's interior decorating.
4. Bathroom has no fan unit to circulate air.
5. Bathroom doors did not lock.
6. Electrical work and wiring on the outside. There's electrical wires all over the walls in the main room and the bathroom. Not sure if it is because they were unable to put the wiring into the wall or if they were too lazy/cheap.
7. Carpet is dirty, wear sandals (or your shoes) in the room.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Buckeye Lake, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

We booked a smaller than normal room with double bed but they didn't have one on the first floor as I had requested so they gave us a double bed room on the first floor for the same price. They let us check in early. Our total cost for this stay for 3 days with tax was $242.00. Check in went smooth, so did check out. The room was old and outdated but very clean. Bathroom had gold tub & tile. the shower had plenty of hot water and the water pressure was excellent. The toilet was too close to the wall which I didn't care for. We could not hear through the walls as some have said. No fan in the bathroom only a window. The room had a coffee pot and free coffee. The lobby also had free coffee. the room also had a desk and 2 chairs and the wireless internet was free and worked just fine. they also had a desk with computer ad free internet in the lobby. We didn't find any bugs or scabies as some have said and I did look. The location is perfect.only an $8 cab ride to the lincoln memorial.The outside could use new paint etc. but they did have plenty of flowers planted. There were security cameras in hotel, parking lot and restaurant. No alarm clock but we use our cell phone anyways. We did not encounter rude staff. Hotel is located right across the Potomac in Arlington, VA. They had a phone to the cab right in the lobby and didn't have to wait long at it. They had a shuttle we rode once which was nice I didn't care much for the subway so we cabbed it. There was no free breakfast but breakfast in the restaurant was good $17 for the 2 of us. Hotel had a nice swimming pool but we never used it but I walked over to it ad it was very clean and clear. There is a pizza and Chinese take out very close by. I didn't think the room was real small like some on here but maybe they booked the smaller than normal room, which I saw one next to me through the window and it also looked nice and clean. the only thing that botheres me was we stayed over Labor Day weekend and they all took labor day off? The housekeepers and the restaurant and bar were closed that day. The hotel seemed to be in a safe area and we didn't have any problem's. some one's car alarm went off but it stopped real quick so they must have set it off. Free parking here. I like a good value but it has to be clean and this was. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

The first time we ever visited DC, the last time we stay at this hotel. Smallest, stinkiest room. the water in the showers ran way too hot or way too cold. The hot water was out the last morning there. When we told the manager, she got real nasty with us and even had the gale to go to the room a few hours later to check the water. when it was finally working she said we were lying to get a free room. The only good thing about the hotel..it was acroos the street from my son's Army base.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Days Inn Arlington/Washington DC? Share your experiences!