“Utterly, utterly abysmal experience; avoid at all costs.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Arlington/Washington DC

You added Days Inn Arlington/Washington DC to your Saves list
Days Inn Arlington/Washington DC
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2201 Arlington Boulevard, Route 50 at Ft Myer, Arlington, VA 22201   |
Ranked #48 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Virginia
“Utterly, utterly abysmal experience; avoid at all costs.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

Bottom line up front:
- Worst lodging experience I have ever had.
- Not worth the cheap price
- I do not recommend this hotel

Details:

The good:
~ it is indeed in Arlington, Virginia (and therefore close to Washington DC)

The bad:
~ Customer service is severely lacking, their shuttle schedule is inflexible. I arrived at the shuttle stop 7 minutes after the last shuttle run and they refused to pick me up. When I got there after taking a cab I saw the driver sitting in the lounge talking and drinking coffee.

~ Ridiculously loud popping sound at night. About once an hour there would be a large series of popping sounds by the door. Overall it was not out as loud as a car backfiring but it was louder than someone slamming a door shut. The popping would happen once every couple of seconds for about half a minute. It was loud enough to wake me and my fiancee up.

~ No individual climate control (AC) units. When we got to the hotel the A/C unit was disabled (they removed the temperature control knob to do). I called the front desk to ask if I could turn on the A/C and they said no. I asked if I could just turn the air fan on and they said no. Then the front desk went on to mention that other guests were asking for the same thing....

~ Paper-thin walls. Could clearly hear a guy outside my door talking on his cellphone. He was not yelling, just talking to his family and then making a couple of business calls in a normal tone. I went outside to get something from my car and realized no one was outside and the guy was actually above me. REALLY thin walls---you'll hear everything around you. I used earplugs that night.

~ Sink does not drain. It actually does drain but it just takes a long time. Anything more than a trickle from the faucet and it starts to back up.

~ Old and decrepit, run-down. No one really takes care of the hotel and they certainly don't update anything. All the decor is 1960-1970-ish. Plus it is dirty and worn. Even every day things failed to work. Only 2 out of the 5 lights in our room worked.

~ They actually used yellow "caution" tape to mark off part of the inside of their hotel lobby... which is not a big deal but it does give you the impression that the ownership does not care about the appearance of the hotel.

Other smaller things to consider (all bad):
1. The electrical outlets in the hotel are all two prongs (a problem when you need to recharge your laptop). There's one by the fridge (opposite side of the room from the 'desk').
2. Water damage all over the ceiling in both the bathroom and the main room.
3. 1960's interior decorating.
4. Bathroom has no fan unit to circulate air.
5. Bathroom doors did not lock.
6. Electrical work and wiring on the outside. There's electrical wires all over the walls in the main room and the bathroom. Not sure if it is because they were unable to put the wiring into the wall or if they were too lazy/cheap.
7. Carpet is dirty, wear sandals (or your shoes) in the room.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Buckeye Lake, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

We booked a smaller than normal room with double bed but they didn't have one on the first floor as I had requested so they gave us a double bed room on the first floor for the same price. They let us check in early. Our total cost for this stay for 3 days with tax was $242.00. Check in went smooth, so did check out. The room was old and outdated but very clean. Bathroom had gold tub & tile. the shower had plenty of hot water and the water pressure was excellent. The toilet was too close to the wall which I didn't care for. We could not hear through the walls as some have said. No fan in the bathroom only a window. The room had a coffee pot and free coffee. The lobby also had free coffee. the room also had a desk and 2 chairs and the wireless internet was free and worked just fine. they also had a desk with computer ad free internet in the lobby. We didn't find any bugs or scabies as some have said and I did look. The location is perfect.only an $8 cab ride to the lincoln memorial.The outside could use new paint etc. but they did have plenty of flowers planted. There were security cameras in hotel, parking lot and restaurant. No alarm clock but we use our cell phone anyways. We did not encounter rude staff. Hotel is located right across the Potomac in Arlington, VA. They had a phone to the cab right in the lobby and didn't have to wait long at it. They had a shuttle we rode once which was nice I didn't care much for the subway so we cabbed it. There was no free breakfast but breakfast in the restaurant was good $17 for the 2 of us. Hotel had a nice swimming pool but we never used it but I walked over to it ad it was very clean and clear. There is a pizza and Chinese take out very close by. I didn't think the room was real small like some on here but maybe they booked the smaller than normal room, which I saw one next to me through the window and it also looked nice and clean. the only thing that botheres me was we stayed over Labor Day weekend and they all took labor day off? The housekeepers and the restaurant and bar were closed that day. The hotel seemed to be in a safe area and we didn't have any problem's. some one's car alarm went off but it stopped real quick so they must have set it off. Free parking here. I like a good value but it has to be clean and this was. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

The first time we ever visited DC, the last time we stay at this hotel. Smallest, stinkiest room. the water in the showers ran way too hot or way too cold. The hot water was out the last morning there. When we told the manager, she got real nasty with us and even had the gale to go to the room a few hours later to check the water. when it was finally working she said we were lying to get a free room. The only good thing about the hotel..it was acroos the street from my son's Army base.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Nashville, Tenn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

If your looking to do DC on a budget then this place is fine. The positives are : its clean and affordable. Negatives: the rooms are small, and you can hear through the walls easily, there arent many restaraunts within walking distance but the few that are are pretty darn good. Arman's pizza and Astor Medittereanean were solid. The closest place to buy beer is a four block walk to a seven eleven. The worst thing is the shuttle van to the metro subway station. It leaves on the hour except at 1 and 2 oclock PM, and will not return for you if they run out of room. The shuttle van runs on the hour from 7 am to 8 pm no exceptions. One would think that their shuttle service would be a point of accomodation considering their faults in other areas. Dont expect overly friendly service or free breakfast of any kind either. They did have a computer in the lobby and free coffee and the staff allowed us to store our bags behind the counter as our flight out wasnt till 8 pm and we went to see a few more sights after the 11am checkout. Again...lookin to save a few dollars and just need a place to crash then your good here.

• Stayed March 2009
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

only stayed one night woke up in the morning to our window being open....NO FEELING OF SECURITY AT ALL....room was GROSS....NEVER EVER AGAIn

• Stayed June 2007
Denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for one night. I got what I paid for.

The Room: The room was clean and had a coffee pot, but very small. The door hit the dresser when I opened it and there wasn't really anywhere to put my suitcase and still be able to open the door. The wireless worked in my room. There was a fair number of channels on the TV.

Customer Service: Left something to be desire. No one was outright rude, but they were very unhelpful. I tried to check in early, and stood at the desk for 15 minutes while she "checked" - that is, stood there, and didn't tell me what was happening. When I called the hotel before getting there to find out if there is a shuttle, whoever answered the phone just said no. When I asked how far they were from the Metro station, he just said "too far to walk". No mention of the shuttle that ran once an hour from the metro station.

The shuttle was nice. It was a little late, but I didn't have to be anywhere, so it wasn't a big deal. There is a takeout Chinese and Italian place across the street.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Indianapolis, IN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

A buddy and I were in Arlington for military business and this hotel was in walking distance from Ft. Myer. The room was booked on my credit card, but we were assured that upon departure the bill could be split into two accounts and two credit cards could be used. WHEN we departed we were given excuse after excuse as to why this couldn't be done at that time. Come to find out we were handed LIE after LIE by the hotel staff on this issue and others. Now we're jumping through hoops to get everything reimbursed by the Army. IF YOU'RE MILITARY/GOVERNMENT, DO NOT stay here. They have shown me no desire to help fix the problems.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — The hotel staff.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Days Inn Arlington/Washington DC? Share your experiences!