“Renaissance Arlington” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Tbilisi, Georgia
“Renaissance Arlington”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

This is a very nice hotel, the lobby decorations are really impressive. The hotel offers live music performances from time to time. The rooms are a bit small, though and the elevators are so slow. One annoying thing about the hotel is that wifi is not available in the conference halls, which is really inconvenient. The hotel is locate quite far from Washington DC, so if you need to travel there, this is not the right place to stay, however, the hotel provides free of charge shuttle service to the nearest metro station.

Green Features: I noticed that electricity is on, when guest leaves a room, which is really surprising. Using electronic cards to switch electricity on/off I think is the easiest way to use energy efficiently.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to provide a review to TripAdvisor. I apologize for the disappointment at not having a free Wi-Fi connection on our meeting room floor. Our hotel conference groups demand the full attention of their attendees and on most occasions, ask us to restrict access to those in attendance. However, there is always a free connection to Wi-Fi in the lobby, just one floor down. In addition, while we are not located in downtown DC, we are a 5-10 minute drive from the city, depending on where you would like to go, and the Metro stop in Crystal City is only a few quick stops away (and certainly more convenient than having to pay for parking). Many of our guests are actually surprised as to how conveniently located we are to everything they want to see and do. We appreciate all of the feedback given and we certainly hope you will consider us for a future stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This is an excellent hotel in Crystal City. It is less than three years old. The grounds and the buildings are quite impressive, The rooms are spacious. They are also generously appointed. The views of DC from the rooms are incredible. The staff are true professionals. The shuttle to DCA and the metro are very efficient. The restaurant,Socci is a must see. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for highly recommending our hotel and our restaurant. We may be the newest hotel on the block, but our service is on par with an establishment that's been around long enough to know how our guests want to be treated and what they expect from a Renaissance hotel. Thank you for the review. Come see us again when you're in the area.
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

Spent six nights here...simply wonderful.

Arrived in DC many hours late after not sleeping for 30 hrs of international flights, including landing in LAX when the shooting was taking place and had to sit on a cement airport corridor floor for 7 hrs. Bags were lost in the whole confusion as well.

Arrived at the hotel at 3 in the morning, exhausted. Staff were wonderful and rustled up a heap of toiletries, toothbrush, razor, etc immediately at no cost. Next morning they rang the airline to track down my luggage and then went down to the airport and delivered it to my room, again part of their service. This is the sort of service I had over the whole 6 days.

Sure, the rooms are deluxe, spacious and the beds amazing. Huge flat screen TV, beautiful bathrooms with lots of white towels, quality soaps and shampoos, great lobby with comfy chairs, free mac computers plus fee wifi...all you could ask for.

But the best thing is the staff, everyone - yes everyone - is genuinely friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble. That's what makes this a truly great hotel.

If you're in DC and are looking for a true quality hotel, do yourself a favour and stay here. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
I am exhausted just reading what you experienced during your travels and I can't imagine how stressful and tired you must have been when you arrived at our hotel, but I am relieved that you arrived safely. My team members understand that when our guests enter through our lobby doors, they need to know we'll be there for them...especially when they are tired and frustrated. Not all travels are pleasant ones. I am thrilled that you would come back to us in a heartbeat and we'll be here for you when you do. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we're doing. We appreciate your feedback.
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed at hotel for conference that was attending in DC. Hotel was very modern overlooking airport and trains but never heard any noise. You could also see DC in distance. There was shopping/eating/bar area few blocks away that was within walking distance. Hotel was very updated and clean. Staff was very friendly especially doormen. Most comfortable bed and best shower head ever. It also was expensive to park each day but to be expected. Be very careful driving as it is only 25mph and cops were all over. The only downside was no free breakfast or internet.

Room Tip: ask for higher up rooms facing airport for the views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Arlington Capital View for your stay and for taking the time to let other TripAdvisor users know about us. We hope to see you again soon.
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Spent sat/sun night, they had incredible prepaid rate for Columbus Day Weekend. We arrived around 6pm on Sat night, asked valet if it was possible to self park and then check in, he told me no problem parking garage a couple of doors down from entrance, and that we could take elevator in garage directly to hotel lobby. Renaissance is modern and everything looks brand new, check in was quick, reception always said hello throughout our stay. We had king room on 11th floor overlooking DCA airport, you can hear the freight trains but it wasn’t bothersome. Room perfect, had mini fridge, bathroom nice, shower stall well built with heavy glass door, plenty of towels, hotel is green, they have special bags for recyclables. Plenty of outlets and free internet for Marriott Gold.

We received free breakfast at hotel lobby restaurant since lounge was closed, buffet had all standard items they give you a bill so you can tip your server but automatically remove charge so it never showed up when we checked out. Lounge access for Sunday night and Monday. They put out a pretty good spread, there are plenty of seats and a nice view. Lounge staff very friendly, they have honor bar, beer was reasonable considering you’re at a hotel.

I picked this hotel since I had planned on using the car a lot over the weekend and didn’t want to valet as is required in almost every hotel if we had stayed in downtown DC, Renaissance was easy on/off all major DC roads. Bunch of restaurants close by just walk to 23rd st. Was also a very quick drive to Old Town Alexandria, plenty of shopping and tons of local restaurants. This is my first hotel choice when staying in Arlington.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review! You've pointed out so many reasons that set us apart from other area hotels that I have no doubt we'll be seeing new guests arriving at our door soon. When our guests tell us that we're their number one choice hotel in the DC area, we know we're on the right track. So we'll keep up the great work on our end and we'll be here when you come back for your next visit.
Eastern Sierra, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I have stayed at several Renaissance properties across the country and a few hotels near DCA. This hotel is head and shoulders above them all. Wonderful customer service, a fantastic breakfast buffet, comfortable rooms and an extensive selection of equipment at the gym made for a memorable stay. I liked the macs available for internet access in the lobby, the speed of the DCA shuttle and the design touches throughout the property. I look forward to my next visit and hope to check out the concierge lounge; the last visit was this past weekend. My only complaint is that there were no newspapers available when I checked in.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Arlington Capital View for your stay! We are both honored and pleased to have become your favorite DCA hotel and we will continue to provide unforgettable great service in order to remain your number one pick. We'll be waiting for you.
DFW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Arrived Sunday afternoon. Front desk quick and courteous, but didn't know/tell me I had a box (actually 2) waiting for me. Went to room, nice looking finishes poorly installed (caulk around sink cracked/failed, shower floor is poorly sloped so you get to stand in an inch of the water and other things you just washed off yourself). Remembered I had some demo equipment coming to me. Called to see if it arrived. Phone to front desk rang at least 15 times, was answered, then place on hold, then yes I had ONE box but the bell hop (that is right, I was told there was only ONE bell man working during afternoon check in hours) was very busy and it would be a while before it could be brought up. Went down to get it for myself, no problem there. Opened it. Realized must be another box as not all equipment was there. Called desk, rang at least 10 times, put on hold... eventually "Yes, sir, there is another box for you." And of course bellman is still busy. So back down to get that box. Now I have been a Marriott platinum member for six years and travel a bit. Even when I stay at a Fairfield Inn they know as soon as they find my reservation on the computer that there are packages waiting for me.

Gym is nice. Pool is pretty small. There is no hot tub or sauna, which I would have thought standard at that level of Marriott properties.

After dinner drinks in lobby bar with friends, not a good idea even on a slow night apparently. I guess seeing your waiter once every 45 minutes and not being asked if the drink you received was to your liking (it was not to our liking) is how they operate.

Concierge Lounge, very nice with great view of sunrise for breakfast. Would be nice if it was open at 6AM for those who have earlier meetings in the morning. Of course if you call the front desk to ask that at 6:10 AM you won't even get someone to answer the phone after 20+ rings, so you will have to go to the lounge and read the hours on the door. Would be nice if you could access it during day/after hours for comfortable place to work (never more than 4 bars of wi-fi in room and usually 3), and have a tea or water.

Housekeeping. I spent four nights. I made sure not to use too much shampoo or conditioner (after using half of each bottle the first morning), because that one bottle of each is apparently all you get. Second morning I drank decaf getting dressed as my regular coffee hadn't been replenished. Third morning, I drank the black tea as I was without any coffee. Oh, and I had to go to the lounge to get herbal tea at night after the first night. But the bed was made, and it was very comfortable.

Departure 4 days later... you have to be kidding me. Had valeted a car the last night of stay. Called valet and asked for it to be brought around, AND that a bellman be sent up to help me downstairs.Now I asked the valet because no one answered the front desk after the first 10+ rings. No mention of a single bellman, so hopes were high (too high). Finished my coffee and did some emails in the next 15 minutes while waiting for bellman. Gave up waiting. Picked up my big box and headed downstairs. Car was there, but bellman wasn't and it was locked. He did show up pretty quickly, then asked "Did you ask me to have a bellman come up to your room? (yes I said) Oh, we don't have a bellman and the two of us (valets) are busy." So back up to my room to finish shuttle things to the car on my own.
So I think I will go back to the Marriott Crystal City Gateway, which is a little dated, but at least they seem to think their guests should be taken care of.

Room Tip: Go the Marriott Crystal City Gateway instead. Will be older materials and won't have great view...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your experience while you were a guest at our hotel. Secondly, I apologize for the service failures that happened during your four nights with us. You highlighted several areas that need our attention and we are committed to providing excellent guest service to each and every person that checks into our hotel. Our hotel is frequented by numerous Platinum Marriott Rewards members (like yourself) every day, so we know we're on the right track. While I am not discounting your concerns in any way, I want you to know that the level of service you described is not the norm in our hotel, nor is it ever acceptable when it occurs. Your comments will be discussed at length with our management team. While I understand your position to stay at another hotel the next time you're in Crystal City, I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to show you we genuinely care about our guests.

Been to Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel? Share your experiences!