“My new DCA favorite!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Eastern Sierra, CA
“My new DCA favorite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I have stayed at several Renaissance properties across the country and a few hotels near DCA. This hotel is head and shoulders above them all. Wonderful customer service, a fantastic breakfast buffet, comfortable rooms and an extensive selection of equipment at the gym made for a memorable stay. I liked the macs available for internet access in the lobby, the speed of the DCA shuttle and the design touches throughout the property. I look forward to my next visit and hope to check out the concierge lounge; the last visit was this past weekend. My only complaint is that there were no newspapers available when I checked in.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Arlington Capital View for your stay! We are both honored and pleased to have become your favorite DCA hotel and we will continue to provide unforgettable great service in order to remain your number one pick. We'll be waiting for you.

395 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Turkish first
DFW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Arrived Sunday afternoon. Front desk quick and courteous, but didn't know/tell me I had a box (actually 2) waiting for me. Went to room, nice looking finishes poorly installed (caulk around sink cracked/failed, shower floor is poorly sloped so you get to stand in an inch of the water and other things you just washed off yourself). Remembered I had some demo equipment coming to me. Called to see if it arrived. Phone to front desk rang at least 15 times, was answered, then place on hold, then yes I had ONE box but the bell hop (that is right, I was told there was only ONE bell man working during afternoon check in hours) was very busy and it would be a while before it could be brought up. Went down to get it for myself, no problem there. Opened it. Realized must be another box as not all equipment was there. Called desk, rang at least 10 times, put on hold... eventually "Yes, sir, there is another box for you." And of course bellman is still busy. So back down to get that box. Now I have been a Marriott platinum member for six years and travel a bit. Even when I stay at a Fairfield Inn they know as soon as they find my reservation on the computer that there are packages waiting for me.

Gym is nice. Pool is pretty small. There is no hot tub or sauna, which I would have thought standard at that level of Marriott properties.

After dinner drinks in lobby bar with friends, not a good idea even on a slow night apparently. I guess seeing your waiter once every 45 minutes and not being asked if the drink you received was to your liking (it was not to our liking) is how they operate.

Concierge Lounge, very nice with great view of sunrise for breakfast. Would be nice if it was open at 6AM for those who have earlier meetings in the morning. Of course if you call the front desk to ask that at 6:10 AM you won't even get someone to answer the phone after 20+ rings, so you will have to go to the lounge and read the hours on the door. Would be nice if you could access it during day/after hours for comfortable place to work (never more than 4 bars of wi-fi in room and usually 3), and have a tea or water.

Housekeeping. I spent four nights. I made sure not to use too much shampoo or conditioner (after using half of each bottle the first morning), because that one bottle of each is apparently all you get. Second morning I drank decaf getting dressed as my regular coffee hadn't been replenished. Third morning, I drank the black tea as I was without any coffee. Oh, and I had to go to the lounge to get herbal tea at night after the first night. But the bed was made, and it was very comfortable.

Departure 4 days later... you have to be kidding me. Had valeted a car the last night of stay. Called valet and asked for it to be brought around, AND that a bellman be sent up to help me downstairs.Now I asked the valet because no one answered the front desk after the first 10+ rings. No mention of a single bellman, so hopes were high (too high). Finished my coffee and did some emails in the next 15 minutes while waiting for bellman. Gave up waiting. Picked up my big box and headed downstairs. Car was there, but bellman wasn't and it was locked. He did show up pretty quickly, then asked "Did you ask me to have a bellman come up to your room? (yes I said) Oh, we don't have a bellman and the two of us (valets) are busy." So back up to my room to finish shuttle things to the car on my own.
So I think I will go back to the Marriott Crystal City Gateway, which is a little dated, but at least they seem to think their guests should be taken care of.

Room Tip: Go the Marriott Crystal City Gateway instead. Will be older materials and won't have great view...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your experience while you were a guest at our hotel. Secondly, I apologize for the service failures that happened during your four nights with us. You highlighted several areas that need our attention and we are committed to providing excellent guest service to each and every person that checks into our hotel. Our hotel is frequented by numerous Platinum Marriott Rewards members (like yourself) every day, so we know we're on the right track. While I am not discounting your concerns in any way, I want you to know that the level of service you described is not the norm in our hotel, nor is it ever acceptable when it occurs. Your comments will be discussed at length with our management team. While I understand your position to stay at another hotel the next time you're in Crystal City, I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to show you we genuinely care about our guests.
alpharetta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

From the minute I stepped on their airport shuttle (free) until I climbed back onto it three days later, the front desk crew went above and beyond the call of duty!

A few mishaps (like the valet locking the keys in our jeep) were handled flawlessly and with courtesy (sent us a driver while they got locksmith); I was early for check in and given an upgrade as an (platinum) elite to a sweet suite. Great location with a short and safe walk to everything! The 6th floor had views of the planes landing and ships on the Potomac sailing in front of the capitol (afar but visible ergo the name)...all lovely.

David N. at the front desk, a "navigator," was extraordinary: he knew where to go despite the GS (gvt. shutdown) and how to get there; why he even printed up tickets for us to the Mount Vernon,

Sunday brunch was FAB and the concierge lounge, when it opened, was charming and full of various vistas.

We will be back! (especially now that we actually get into the museums:)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for your business and for making us the "go-to" hotel when you come back to the DC area. We feel our hotel has something extra special to offer guests. From our friendly guest service to the amenities we offer, we'll continue to strive for excellence to keep our guests coming back for the Renaissance experience. We'll see you soon!
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I spent my birthday weekend at this hotel 10/11/13 thru 10/13/13 and enjoyed my stay. I am planning on staying at this hotel whenever I visit DC. The hotel rooms are modern , clean, and beautifully decorated with a refrigerator and safe. Stayed in a room with a double bed and it was very spacious. From check in it was fast and all the staff was courteous especially the bell man and the lady serving breakfast. The hotel has a beautiful lobby which is cool just to hang out and have a few drinks. They have a breakfast buffet available cost about $20 and there was an assortment of breakfast items to choose from. There is hotel shuttle available to crystal city station for anyone not wishing to drive into the city or go the mall at pentagon city...just tip generously.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Arlington Capital View for your celebration. I am delighted you had a wonderful stay and that you have decided to come back whenever you're in town. We can't wait to see you again. Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate it very much.
Hanover, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I, along with two other couples, all stayed at this hotel to celebrate our anniversary. It was a great choice for everyone. The view is a matter of opinion. Ours overlooked the airport and the train tracks. What can you say? That is better than most city views. I thought the room and the location was perfect. It is close enough to walk to places in Crystal City a few clocks away, but far enough away to feel like you were removed from hustle and bustle. We walked a few times, drove once up to the movie theatre (which is a minute or two away), and then we used the shuttle once to go to the Metro station. It ran every 20 minutes up until about 11pm. We had the package that offered breakfast each morning, and I found that to be a fantastic deal. With the exception of one lady in the omelet/waffle area, I thought the workers in the restaurant were very pleasant and helpful. We also took advantage of the decent weather and used the rooftop terrace to have wine together. That was an awesome amenity too! I will say that we frequent Northern VA often during our anniversary weekend each year because it is a central location for us to meet up with our friends and family. And before coming here, we had another favorite hotel, which I will not name. But, for the location and at almost $100 cheaper per night, my husband has decided that this is now his favorite place. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
First of all, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Thank you for deciding to do things a little differently this year by choosing the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel for your annual DC area stay. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle to get around and the benefits of being able to enjoy the locale minus the hustle and bustle of the city. We are finding more and more guests that keep coming back to us as a result of our guest service and location and I am thrilled to be able to add you to our list! Thank you for taking the time to share your review with others. We appreciate your feedback and we'll see you next year!
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is a fantastic property within walking distance of the restaurants in Crystal City. It is convenient to the Metro and the airport.

The hotel facilities are very well maintained. The rooms were very clean and the staff was Fantastic!

If you need accomodations in the DC area I would definitely give them a try.

Room Tip: The Capital view rooms are great, but you may hear train noise if you are on a lower floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for recommending the Renaissance Arlington Capital View to others! We look forward to having new guests come and check us out and then discover that our kind of guest service is exactly what they're looking for.
North Quincy, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

While I don't normally bring my wife and child on business trips, our stay here at the Renaissance Arlington Capitol View has been absolutely phenomenal! From the moment we checked in, and every single day the staff are extremely cheerful and nice! We are constantly being greeted, and welcomed. Some staff have even gone as far as giving a small stuffed gift to our child, and others bring us crayons and paper. We are ecstatic about the level of service that we received here. The hotel is amazingly designed and decorated, from the lobby and restaurants, to the pool and gym, and concierge lounge. The room itself was large and comfortable, and very clean and fresh. Again, our stay here has been absolutely wonderful! A huge thanks to you and your team, and everyone who works here!

Green Features: The hotel appears very environmentally friendly! The design is wonderful and all of the products offered appear to be natural.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
We are delighted that you chose the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel for your stay! Thank you for taking the time to let others know about our wonderful staff and the service they provide for our guests. We appreciate your business and hope you will continue to stay with us whenever you're in the DC area.