“Yes Means No” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Yes Means No”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

When we made our reservation we requested a two-bed room. When no two-bed rooms were available we requested a rollaway. We were informed that the policy is rollaways are available on a first-come basis. Fair enough, no problem. When we checked-in, right around 3 p.m., the desk clerk actually offered us a rollaway as he saw our original room request; we gratefully accepted. At 5 p.m. we were ready to go out for the evening but the rollaway had not yet arrived. We called the desk to get a status report and were told they would check on it. When we returned at 11 p.m. there was no rollaway in the room. This time when we called the desk they informed us there were no more rollaways available. As we stay in some level of Marriott hotel enough to maintain a silver Marriott Rewards card, we know this is atypical and subpar. Also, while the amenities in the bathroom were nice, the lotion was open and about 2/3 used. The mattress was comfortable, and the room and the common areas were clean.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I can certainly understand your frustration for not receiving the room type you had requested and then to have been offered a solution that we did not follow through with. I sincerely apologize for the guest service failure and I have discussed this review with our team so that we are better prepared to provide expected services with our guests from this point on. I hope that you will consider us for a future stay. We would appreciate your repeat business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Turkish first
Bronx, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

First of all when we arrived, my family was very tired after driving for over seven hours. The valet wanted us to pull the car all the way over so I left it where it was because there was no room where he wanted it. I want to mention that I was in a car accident a few weeks before and I told the valet when we checked out it was the same one and he opened the passenger door which caused it to almost fall off. When we went, to go through the door it got stuck. The hotel staff was alerted but it took them a while to respond. When we finally checked in the staff was very nice guiding us to where we needed to go for our appointment at CUA. The first night was no great shakes. We had set a wake up call at 6:15 it went off going off at 8:15 we missed the appointment at CUA. The club lounge staff forced us out so the staff could have drinks. We then decided to go to the pool, they were laughing at us when we went because we had on Speedo. Then when we were told the pool was closed for cleaning it was 5 minutes at first then 20 then 45 we decided not to wait. The staff had the gall to laugh at us again and then point. We then decided to go for dinner at the resturant we were standing for 15 minutes without seating and once we were they said we are busy when it was empty. The waiter brought us water but by the time he came back from sitting down ad socializing with other guests we had the sense to leave. It said that a movie $12.99 + tax and it wound up being $30. I was glad to check out!!!!

Green Features: They had none they said the room was 65 more like 99
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
It would seem you had several issues with our staff at the hotel and from the comments made in your review, I'm a little perplexed. First, when our occupancy is high, our porte cochere can become quite hectic and we rely on our Valet team to help our guests park their vehicles in a safe manner that will not impede with the flow of traffic, but allow them to enter the hotel to check-in. It appears that your arrival at the Reception desk was welcoming and you were happy with your guest room. As for being forced out of the Club Lounge because our staff wanted to have drinks, occassionally, we will have a client that wishes to pay to reserve this room for a private function or meeting, but it is NEVER used for staff functions and is only reserved outside of the normal Club Lounge hours (on weekends when the Club Lounge is closed). I am very proud of our staff members. They are a dedicated team that behaves in a professional manner. They understand it is never appropriate to make fun of our guests and we are very diligent to respect the privacy of each guest. It is unfortunate that you felt you were being harassed for your attire at the pool and I apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations.
East Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed for four nights at this hotel for a professional conference. The hotel lobby is strikingly beautiful. My room was very comfortable and had a mini fridge. The staff is the most consistently friendly I have encountered. There is a convenient shuttle every 20 minutes to the metro and another to the airport (not sure of the frequency). The gym has a great selection of weight machines, free weights, and cardio machines. There is also a small indoor pool. The club room is not crowded, with a good selection for breakfast, room to work, and a great view of planes landing and taking off from Reagan airport. It was a great experience and I would strongly recommend it to anyone looking to stay in the area.

Room Tip: I had a room on the 5th floor and I didn't hear any street noise
Green Features: There was a bag in the room to collect recyclables.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us here at the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel. We hope to see you again soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a great hotel in a great location if you don't mind being away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I personally enjoyed the quiet area with access to a lot of great restaurants and a short walk from the metro. It was about a 25 min metro ride into DC or a 10 min car ride without traffic. We received a room upgrade upon check-in and were offered a room with a large separate living area and the bedroom was spacious and decorated in a way that you felt you were right at home. The bathroom was also a decent size and the hotel offered great toiletries. The hotel staff were extremely attentive and kind and their hospitality was much appreciated. Everyone at the front desk and at valet were very hospitable! Loved the complimentary bikes and definitely recommend taking advantage of this amenity and riding into nearby Alexandria, which is a very charming, nearby town. The hotel also offered an incredible gym that was very large and offered plenty of high end machines and weights. The free earphones were also a nice touch for forgetful people such as myself who lose all motivation when they forget their earphones. There's also a small, but clean pool that leads to a comfortable, outdoor terrace. There is also a restaurant in the lobby and a lively, center bar that gets busy at night. I'm a big fan of Renaissance Hotels in general and this one is no exception. I'll definitely be returning!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Renaissance Arlington Capital View! We love hearing about our guests' experiences at the hotel because it lets us know what's important to them and gives us insight on how we can improve what we have to offer. I am delighted that you had the chance to discover so many things about the hotel and appreciative that you took the time to share them with other TripAdvisor users. We'll see you the next time you're in the area!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure if this hotel is new or was remodeled, but this is definitely what all Marriott hotels should be like. In fact, all hotels in general should take a note from the Renaissance Arlington. The hotel is kept very well. The lobby, common areas and rooms smell fresh and are immaculately clean. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient, offering te opportunity to assist with recommendation and/or directions.

My room included a stand up glass shower, which is far more desirable than a 20 year old dirty bathtub with 1 stray hair in it. The floor the ceiling windows offered a great view of DCAs runway, but I couldn't hear any of the noise.

The hotel is located within walking distance from many great eateries including Jaleo Tapas, Buffalo Wild Wings, Morton's and many others. There's garage and street parking. A free airport shuttle. And of course a Starbucks a few blocks away.

Compared to other hotels in the area, this one is far superior. It's well decorated and I'm still shocked how clean the rooms smelled and looked. I will diffinitly return when back in the area.

• Stayed June 2013
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review! Our hotel is fairly new, it was built from the ground-up and opened in the spring of 2011. However, we are dedicated to maintaining our hotel in order to keep it fresh and clean, appealing to all of the guests' senses. We want our guests to come back again and again, so we understand we have to be on our toes every single day. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Blacksburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

In this complex of hotels around Crystal City, this hotel stands out. It is located in a less congested area than the others which helps with access and especially exiting. It is a newer facility. It is absolutely gorgeous inside and out -- beautiful decor. It is just a first class establishment! The staff are excellent and very accommodating. The Souci restaurant is affordable and excellent in quality. Make sure if you eat here that you don't confuse this with the lounge or breakfast shop. The first time I stayed here I concluded that this wasn't much of a restaurant - it all looked like an extension of the bar. So I walked up the street and paid more for less quality and choices. But I learned otherwise and have never been disappointed with the food. The menu is Italian and has many very nice and very delicious choices. The quality, taste, and unique choices on this menu make it obvious that they have an award winning chef (something they told me but I ignored until the food made it obvious). One thing they have over their competition is that they are attached to another Marriott (Residence Inn) property (in case they are full - you have another choice) and they allow self-parking. I used to stay across the street but that hotel does not allow self-parking, thus driving the parking costs up and the worry about potential damage to your vehicle by the valets. If anything needs to be improved here it is probably the concierge and valet services. I have stayed here several times and it is next to impossible to park your car at the entrance in order to check in. I bypass this now and park in the parking garage and access the lobby this way. It does save a step, so to me it is more convenient than dealing with the hassle of parking at the entrance anyway. But this is a flaw that likely irritates some people and I can't blame them if it does. It irritated me the first time I stayed here until I learned the trick of parking first and checking in later. Parking is also a bit confusing as many of the spaces are marked for various sized vehicles and use. This is limiting to where you park. But it would be hard for me to not rate this hotel as excellent. Even with a few flaws it is outstanding.

Room Tip: One issue that might worry travelers is that one side of this hotel faces Reagan Airport and the com...
Green Features: This is definitely a green property. They use extensive roofscaping to insulate the building and manage water runoff. You can even access this area and enjoy the view on their balcony. They also use sustainable practices with their laundry services and other features of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you so much for giving us such a wonderful review! We appreciate your repeat business and it's wonderful to hear how many things you are still discovering about our hotel. I also want to thank you for the feedback about our Valet area and the availability of short-term parking for check-in purposes. We will address this with our team and discuss solutions that will eliminate any frustration to other guests trying to check into the hotel. We appreciate your comments and will continue to strengthen the quality of our guest service.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

stayed memorial weekend. very busy time of course there was a line at check in but a bellman offered to take our luggages to our room while I waited in the lobby for my husband to park. i was hesitant to entrust belongings but decided to anyway. waited for him at the lobby to hand him tip. the luggages were neatly placed in our room. whoever the bellman was he was wonderful and trustworthy.

I am rating the hotel only 3 stars due to the following: 1. self parking $24.00 per day though it's comparable to other area hotels, 2. cleanliness is average not squeaky clean - I expected close to squeaky clean simply because it is categorized as upscale, also dusty / musty smell though it is only 2 yrs old - sneezing and sniffles the first night, as other reviewers have said, furniture, millwork in the bathroom show aging, 3. 2 queen bed room is small, 4. internet fee at $12.95 per day again, comparable to other area hotels, 5. I am not a fan of the techno, modern background music in the lobby, so, if you are fine with it, this hotel should be fine for you.

Things I liked : 1. Proximity of the hotel to DC attractions make it worthwhile, 2. The beds comfortable and beddings were fine, not scratchy or rough, 3. Marriott chain hotels new concept of pull out work table and a desk, which gives you 2 desks! 4. Club level attendant was wonderful, courteous, and attentive, 5. Morning front desk lady - I forgot her name it begins with an "A" was pleasant and courteous. 6. Overall personnel I encountered were pleasant and courteous.

Would I return to this hotel? Maybe , but I would try other hotels to expand my options in the future. Please work on upping cleanliness and smell of the rooms, not chemical smell, just clean and fresh all the time, not musty and dusty.

Room Tip: We were given a room on the 3rd floor which is the same floor as the fitness center and pool which w...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for giving us your feedback regarding your recent stay. We will address your comments with our staff and use them to improve our guest service. We know that our guests have a choice when it comes to selecting a hotel in the DC area, so we have to be better than the competition to keep our guests coming back. We will continue to strive to be the best that DC has to offer and, in so doing, hope that we will earn a return visit from you.

Been to Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel? Share your experiences!