“Excellent in every way” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
East Brunswick, New Jersey
“Excellent in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed for four nights at this hotel for a professional conference. The hotel lobby is strikingly beautiful. My room was very comfortable and had a mini fridge. The staff is the most consistently friendly I have encountered. There is a convenient shuttle every 20 minutes to the metro and another to the airport (not sure of the frequency). The gym has a great selection of weight machines, free weights, and cardio machines. There is also a small indoor pool. The club room is not crowded, with a good selection for breakfast, room to work, and a great view of planes landing and taking off from Reagan airport. It was a great experience and I would strongly recommend it to anyone looking to stay in the area.

Room Tip: I had a room on the 5th floor and I didn't hear any street noise
Green Features: There was a bag in the room to collect recyclables.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us here at the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a great hotel in a great location if you don't mind being away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I personally enjoyed the quiet area with access to a lot of great restaurants and a short walk from the metro. It was about a 25 min metro ride into DC or a 10 min car ride without traffic. We received a room upgrade upon check-in and were offered a room with a large separate living area and the bedroom was spacious and decorated in a way that you felt you were right at home. The bathroom was also a decent size and the hotel offered great toiletries. The hotel staff were extremely attentive and kind and their hospitality was much appreciated. Everyone at the front desk and at valet were very hospitable! Loved the complimentary bikes and definitely recommend taking advantage of this amenity and riding into nearby Alexandria, which is a very charming, nearby town. The hotel also offered an incredible gym that was very large and offered plenty of high end machines and weights. The free earphones were also a nice touch for forgetful people such as myself who lose all motivation when they forget their earphones. There's also a small, but clean pool that leads to a comfortable, outdoor terrace. There is also a restaurant in the lobby and a lively, center bar that gets busy at night. I'm a big fan of Renaissance Hotels in general and this one is no exception. I'll definitely be returning!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Renaissance Arlington Capital View! We love hearing about our guests' experiences at the hotel because it lets us know what's important to them and gives us insight on how we can improve what we have to offer. I am delighted that you had the chance to discover so many things about the hotel and appreciative that you took the time to share them with other TripAdvisor users. We'll see you the next time you're in the area!
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure if this hotel is new or was remodeled, but this is definitely what all Marriott hotels should be like. In fact, all hotels in general should take a note from the Renaissance Arlington. The hotel is kept very well. The lobby, common areas and rooms smell fresh and are immaculately clean. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient, offering te opportunity to assist with recommendation and/or directions.

My room included a stand up glass shower, which is far more desirable than a 20 year old dirty bathtub with 1 stray hair in it. The floor the ceiling windows offered a great view of DCAs runway, but I couldn't hear any of the noise.

The hotel is located within walking distance from many great eateries including Jaleo Tapas, Buffalo Wild Wings, Morton's and many others. There's garage and street parking. A free airport shuttle. And of course a Starbucks a few blocks away.

Compared to other hotels in the area, this one is far superior. It's well decorated and I'm still shocked how clean the rooms smelled and looked. I will diffinitly return when back in the area.

• Stayed June 2013
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review! Our hotel is fairly new, it was built from the ground-up and opened in the spring of 2011. However, we are dedicated to maintaining our hotel in order to keep it fresh and clean, appealing to all of the guests' senses. We want our guests to come back again and again, so we understand we have to be on our toes every single day. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Blacksburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

In this complex of hotels around Crystal City, this hotel stands out. It is located in a less congested area than the others which helps with access and especially exiting. It is a newer facility. It is absolutely gorgeous inside and out -- beautiful decor. It is just a first class establishment! The staff are excellent and very accommodating. The Souci restaurant is affordable and excellent in quality. Make sure if you eat here that you don't confuse this with the lounge or breakfast shop. The first time I stayed here I concluded that this wasn't much of a restaurant - it all looked like an extension of the bar. So I walked up the street and paid more for less quality and choices. But I learned otherwise and have never been disappointed with the food. The menu is Italian and has many very nice and very delicious choices. The quality, taste, and unique choices on this menu make it obvious that they have an award winning chef (something they told me but I ignored until the food made it obvious). One thing they have over their competition is that they are attached to another Marriott (Residence Inn) property (in case they are full - you have another choice) and they allow self-parking. I used to stay across the street but that hotel does not allow self-parking, thus driving the parking costs up and the worry about potential damage to your vehicle by the valets. If anything needs to be improved here it is probably the concierge and valet services. I have stayed here several times and it is next to impossible to park your car at the entrance in order to check in. I bypass this now and park in the parking garage and access the lobby this way. It does save a step, so to me it is more convenient than dealing with the hassle of parking at the entrance anyway. But this is a flaw that likely irritates some people and I can't blame them if it does. It irritated me the first time I stayed here until I learned the trick of parking first and checking in later. Parking is also a bit confusing as many of the spaces are marked for various sized vehicles and use. This is limiting to where you park. But it would be hard for me to not rate this hotel as excellent. Even with a few flaws it is outstanding.

Room Tip: One issue that might worry travelers is that one side of this hotel faces Reagan Airport and the com...
Green Features: This is definitely a green property. They use extensive roofscaping to insulate the building and manage water runoff. You can even access this area and enjoy the view on their balcony. They also use sustainable practices with their laundry services and other features of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you so much for giving us such a wonderful review! We appreciate your repeat business and it's wonderful to hear how many things you are still discovering about our hotel. I also want to thank you for the feedback about our Valet area and the availability of short-term parking for check-in purposes. We will address this with our team and discuss solutions that will eliminate any frustration to other guests trying to check into the hotel. We appreciate your comments and will continue to strengthen the quality of our guest service.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

stayed memorial weekend. very busy time of course there was a line at check in but a bellman offered to take our luggages to our room while I waited in the lobby for my husband to park. i was hesitant to entrust belongings but decided to anyway. waited for him at the lobby to hand him tip. the luggages were neatly placed in our room. whoever the bellman was he was wonderful and trustworthy.

I am rating the hotel only 3 stars due to the following: 1. self parking $24.00 per day though it's comparable to other area hotels, 2. cleanliness is average not squeaky clean - I expected close to squeaky clean simply because it is categorized as upscale, also dusty / musty smell though it is only 2 yrs old - sneezing and sniffles the first night, as other reviewers have said, furniture, millwork in the bathroom show aging, 3. 2 queen bed room is small, 4. internet fee at $12.95 per day again, comparable to other area hotels, 5. I am not a fan of the techno, modern background music in the lobby, so, if you are fine with it, this hotel should be fine for you.

Things I liked : 1. Proximity of the hotel to DC attractions make it worthwhile, 2. The beds comfortable and beddings were fine, not scratchy or rough, 3. Marriott chain hotels new concept of pull out work table and a desk, which gives you 2 desks! 4. Club level attendant was wonderful, courteous, and attentive, 5. Morning front desk lady - I forgot her name it begins with an "A" was pleasant and courteous. 6. Overall personnel I encountered were pleasant and courteous.

Would I return to this hotel? Maybe , but I would try other hotels to expand my options in the future. Please work on upping cleanliness and smell of the rooms, not chemical smell, just clean and fresh all the time, not musty and dusty.

Room Tip: We were given a room on the 3rd floor which is the same floor as the fitness center and pool which w...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for giving us your feedback regarding your recent stay. We will address your comments with our staff and use them to improve our guest service. We know that our guests have a choice when it comes to selecting a hotel in the DC area, so we have to be better than the competition to keep our guests coming back. We will continue to strive to be the best that DC has to offer and, in so doing, hope that we will earn a return visit from you.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was the first visit to this property for my organization and we were thrilled with the whole experience! My meeting planner praised the sales staff and on site our attendees were very pleased with all the arrangements for lodging and meeting. Hotel staff were clearly well trained in offering excellence in customer service! Meeting logistics were flawless and meal service was far above what one usually expects...Ahi tuna on a soup, salad and sandwich bar? Excellent! The location was perfect, just a 5 minute hotel shuttle from Reagan airport and within walking distance of many shops and restaurants. We will most definitely book this hotel again.

Room Tip: higher floors (above 3rd) best.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for letting TripAdvisor users know that the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel is the place to go for all of their meeting needs! Our attention to detail and friendly, prompt service keeps businesses coming back year after year. We appreciate your business.
Sewell, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed here in January and really liked it. Decided to come back with my wife and daughter so they could do some sightseeing while I went to business meetings. Received an email from a Joy [--] customer service liaison, asking me if there was anything I needed before coming. As a Gold Elite member, I asked for an upgraded room to accommodate the 3 people. This was on a Sunday for a Tuesday check in. Never received a response via email or phone. I called on Monday and she was not available. When I checked in on Tuesday, they didn't have anything but a standard room, with an offer to move me the next day or so if something opened up. Eventually got upgraded a day later, but the overnight was tough because I didn't unpack, causing me to wear the same shirt the next day, so I wouldn't wake up my wife and daughter.
Had to take a cab two separate nights for receptions/dinners. Took valet people 10-15 minutes to get a cab for us, which made us late one night. Had a shuttle to the Metro, which is why I picked it. Twice during the visit, the valet said "2 minutes", and 10 minutes later when I pressed, he checked and found the shuttle had been early, and we missed it and had to wait another 20 minutes. One time the shuttle pulled up, said "I'll be right back" and showed up with 4 passengers, and my 3 barely got in.
The final straw was when we asked one of the "Navigators" where we could get a "soup and salad". He directed us to a place called Good Stuff, which was owned by a Top Chef contestant. When we got there (in the rain), it was a glorified Five Guys, AND DIDN'T SERVE SOUP!!! We ended up next store in a Thai place and ate 1/3 of our meals just to get something in our system. When I got back, I informed him Good Stuff didn't have soup, he responded "I thought they did. Sorry about that."
After all that, I decided I would go back to my room and watch game 1 of the NBA finals between the Heat and the Spurs. My wife and daughter watched TV in the bedroom, and I would have the living room to myself. Well true to form, the TV DOESN'T WORK!!! I was going to call the front desk, but I decided to sit down and document my stay for TripAdvisor and go to bed.
P.S. - For all of you who are Elite members, the Concierge Lounge is average at best. Today they had scrambled eggs, no meats and no oatmeal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
First of all, thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us. TripAdvisor is a useful tool for us because there is always something we can learn from it and use it to improve our guest service. The headline you used to sum up your total experience, "Incredibly Disappointing" said it all. I am sincerely disappointed as well, especially since you first stay with us went so well that you decided to bring your family back for a repeat stay. Please know that we will take your comments seriously and that each issue you presented will be addressed. We want our guests to be able to count on us for accurate and reliable information and to know that we will get them to where they need to go as quickly as possible. We will also alert our engineering department to thoroughly check each guest room to make sure everything is in proper, working order. I hope that you will be able to give us another chance to show you that we really do care about the quality of service each of our guests receive. We truly appreciate your business.

Been to Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel? Share your experiences!