“Incredibly Disappointing” 1 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sewell, New Jersey
“Incredibly Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed here in January and really liked it. Decided to come back with my wife and daughter so they could do some sightseeing while I went to business meetings. Received an email from a Joy [--] customer service liaison, asking me if there was anything I needed before coming. As a Gold Elite member, I asked for an upgraded room to accommodate the 3 people. This was on a Sunday for a Tuesday check in. Never received a response via email or phone. I called on Monday and she was not available. When I checked in on Tuesday, they didn't have anything but a standard room, with an offer to move me the next day or so if something opened up. Eventually got upgraded a day later, but the overnight was tough because I didn't unpack, causing me to wear the same shirt the next day, so I wouldn't wake up my wife and daughter.
Had to take a cab two separate nights for receptions/dinners. Took valet people 10-15 minutes to get a cab for us, which made us late one night. Had a shuttle to the Metro, which is why I picked it. Twice during the visit, the valet said "2 minutes", and 10 minutes later when I pressed, he checked and found the shuttle had been early, and we missed it and had to wait another 20 minutes. One time the shuttle pulled up, said "I'll be right back" and showed up with 4 passengers, and my 3 barely got in.
The final straw was when we asked one of the "Navigators" where we could get a "soup and salad". He directed us to a place called Good Stuff, which was owned by a Top Chef contestant. When we got there (in the rain), it was a glorified Five Guys, AND DIDN'T SERVE SOUP!!! We ended up next store in a Thai place and ate 1/3 of our meals just to get something in our system. When I got back, I informed him Good Stuff didn't have soup, he responded "I thought they did. Sorry about that."
After all that, I decided I would go back to my room and watch game 1 of the NBA finals between the Heat and the Spurs. My wife and daughter watched TV in the bedroom, and I would have the living room to myself. Well true to form, the TV DOESN'T WORK!!! I was going to call the front desk, but I decided to sit down and document my stay for TripAdvisor and go to bed.
P.S. - For all of you who are Elite members, the Concierge Lounge is average at best. Today they had scrambled eggs, no meats and no oatmeal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
First of all, thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us. TripAdvisor is a useful tool for us because there is always something we can learn from it and use it to improve our guest service. The headline you used to sum up your total experience, "Incredibly Disappointing" said it all. I am sincerely disappointed as well, especially since you first stay with us went so well that you decided to bring your family back for a repeat stay. Please know that we will take your comments seriously and that each issue you presented will be addressed. We want our guests to be able to count on us for accurate and reliable information and to know that we will get them to where they need to go as quickly as possible. We will also alert our engineering department to thoroughly check each guest room to make sure everything is in proper, working order. I hope that you will be able to give us another chance to show you that we really do care about the quality of service each of our guests receive. We truly appreciate your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Turkish first
Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is now my favorite hotel in the DC area. It's fairly new, and the room appointments show it. The lobby is elegant and the rooms comfortable. It's hard to find a place in DC that's both attractive and isolated from street noise, and the Renaissance fills the bill. While there's almost no noise from the street, the noise from the hall and the connecting room can be quite loud, but given the trade, I'll take inside noise over outside noise. The folks at the desk are helpful and engaged. The restaurant is pricey, but that's to be expected in DC. Plenty of good places to eat within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you for making us your No. 1 choice of hotels in the DC area. We are very pleased. Our location is ideal in that we are further away from all the traffic, yet conveniently located to everything DC has to offer. We will share your feedback regarding the hallway and room noise with the appropriate departments to see what measures we can take to ensure our guests have the privacy they deserve, especially when we are filled to capacity. We look forward to seeing you soon.
earth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Had an early flight out of DCA, so decided to stay here for one night and park the car at the hotel. Enjoyed the stay very much. Service was very good. Let me elaborate.

Check-in was very courteous and professional. The gentleman made me feel very welcome. Our room was quite spacious. Small fridge, coffee maker, inroom safe. Good-sized bathroom with Aveda toiletries. Beds were comfortable -- I'd rate them just below Westin or Fairmont beds. The room was well-maintained and clean.

Our room was almost directly across from the club lounge, so there was a fair bit of noise as people went in and out, till about 11 pm. After that it was very quiet. No complaints.

The hotel looked very updated. Very deserving of a high-end but not snooty image.

I used the parking setup via cheapairportparking, and the rate was much better than the hotel's own parking rates. The same valet people park the car regardless, and we can still get the shuttle. So all is well.

When we drove up, we were almost immediately greeted by the valet people. Very professional and helpful. No difference that we were not parking via the hotel. Because the hotel shuttle does not run till 5 am, we decided to get a cab so as to get to the airport earlier. Front desk confirmed they would get a cab for us to be at the hotel at 4:45. We came down, but no cab. And the front desk person there at the time knew nothing about it. Well, lo and behold the shuttle came anyway, and we just took it. Very easy and quick. So, not having the cab as promised was bad, but it turned out to be a good thing afterall (still a bit disappointed though that the specific request just went by the wayside that way).

There are some restaurants and stuff near the hotel, within walking distance. So there's a bit of variety for food if needed.

I would stay here again if needed and if the rates are good. Overall, nice property.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to let other TripAdvisor users know about our hotel. We appreciate your feedback very much. I will share your comments regarding the lapse of communication about the requested cab service with our staff and use it as a learning tool for improving our guest service. It is my hope that you will visit with us again soon. We would love to have you come back for another stay.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during memorial day weekend. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The concierge and navigator desk was super helpful in planning our sight seeing trips. The hotel had free bikes for the guests. They gave us his-and-her bikes fully serviced and checked air and gave us helmets and locks. This helped us cover the national mall and popular spots very easily. They also had free shuttle service to and from the airport and also to the nearby metro station every 20 min and the service for extremely punctual.

The only complimentary service I wish they could provide for the price is breakfast. Also the swimming pool was quiet small and a bit dirty. Could use some cleaning.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the airport for the best room in a higher floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We will use the information to let our team know how things are going in the hotel as well as areas that need attention. We will keep working until we exceed every guest's expectations.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights. Rooms pretty spacious and clean. Staff was very courteous and friendly. Got a great rate booking though Marriott official's website that included parking. Many great restaurants in the area and no more than 10 minutes away from DC. Very close to one of the main train stations as well.

I saw in a few other reviews complaints over nearby trains but Im a very light sleeper and didn't have any trouble at all. At worst, only reminded me of light traffic.

WIll definitely stay again if in DC area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for submitting a review of our hotel. We appreciate your business and I'm grateful that you will think of us the next time you're in town. We'll see you soon.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed for a night. The room was well appointed had contemporary deign and luxurious feel.
Loved the rain shower head, and the reading lights on the bed headrest.The bed was very comfortable . had a good sleep for most part.Just that someone in the other room was talking loud

The hotel was clean and stylish.
They do provide free metro shuttle every 20 min which stopped at the shopping site too.

Buffet breakfast was also good. the made to order omelets were delicious.
Our room faced the terrace garden. Quiet and peaceful.

Would definitely recommend it

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! I am delighted that your stay was comfortable. We would appreciate recommendations to your family and friends and hope you will come back to see us again soon.
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We needed to stay one night near Arlington, VA, and we found this place. I am very happy we chose this hotel because everyone in our family loved it. We checked in late in the evening, but regretted we didn't have enough time to enough this place. It was modern, clean with a lot of nice touch inside and out. All amenities are in perfect working conditions, and the rooms are among the most comfortable compared to some of the hotels we stayed in this class. The only downside is that you have to pay for the parking, but I understand this is normal in this part of town. The rooms are very spacious and nicely decorated, and the lobby feels very modern. Most importantly, this 4 star hotel offers a very good value for our Friday night stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for choosing us for your hotel needs. Sometimes interrupted travel plans can lead to the most wonderful discoveries. In this case, we got to meet you and your family and have you stay as our guest, and you now have a place that you can count on for friendly service, clean, well-appointed rooms, and amenities to discover. Please keep us in mind the next time you come to the DC area.

Been to Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel? Share your experiences!