“Excellent property with a boutique vibe” 5 of 5 stars

Save Up to 25% in No. VA
Ranked #7 of 47 hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
St. Louis, MO
“Excellent property with a boutique vibe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had stayed at the Hyatt Crystal City for Conference for 5 nights and they could not accomodate us but the Renaissance could for one more night. That night was great. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The room was impeccably clean. The lobby has a boutique hotel feel to it, something I am not accustomed to with the Marriott chain. It reminded me of a Klimpton, or W more than a Marriott property. The coffee bar / cafe Illy (yes the European Coffee) was great. Had good service, great coffee, good selection, everything fresh and appealing and tasty. The restaraunt in the Hotel we only ate the breakfast but the staff was very friendly, and helpful and the food was hot (something it was not the 2 prior mornings at the Hyatt Crystal City across the street.) This is a great hotel. Wonderful stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
We're glad you had an opportunity to try us out! I am thrilled that you enjoyed the vibe of the hotel--it's what we here at the hotel refer to as "Renaissance chic". You'll see this trend at Marriott Renaissance brand hotels. It sounds like you had a great time while you were here. Wouldn't it be great if next year's conference was a Renaissance conference? Thank you for your review. Please refer us to friends and family. We would appreciate it very much.

399 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The hotel is fine for a night. Stayed here as part of a multi-day conference. It’s in a nice neighborhood and very close to DCA. The negatives outweighed the positives for me, especially for multiple nights. I would stay here again if a conference was here but there are better choices in the area.

Positive
• Rooms are exceptionally clean .
• Bed and bedding very comfortable.
• Shower good.
• Easy to get to from the airport.
• Hardly any airport noise in spite of the close proximity.
• Located in a nice neighborhood with good selection of restaurants within walking distance.
• Concierge room is good with private meeting room available (first come first serve) and nice views.

Negative
• Rooms are very small.
• Closet in room is non-functional; almost impossible to get into or get anything out of.
• Bathroom is very small.
• Train tracks nearby with some noise from the engines. No room is immune to the noise.
• Not convenient to Metro; it is a nicewalk and shuttle service is available, but if you are lacking time this can be a problem.
• Breakfast buffet is very expensive as is parking.
• Postage stamp sized pool. Impossible to use if filled with kids.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review to TripAdvisor. We are interested in hearing what our guests have to say about their experience at the hotel. Although you expressed a desire to select another hotel in the area for an extended stay due to the size limitations at our hotel, I am pleased that you also highlighted the positive features of our hotel. Each hotel in the DC area is unique in both design and ammenity features in order to appeal to a wide variety of guests. Should your travels ever bring you back to the south side of Crystal City, I hope you will consider the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel for your stay.
Wilton, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Room was good- breakfast was good- they wanted to charge for Internet which is surprising since everyone is giving it away for free. The staff at the front door and checking are very inexperienced - cant seem to arrange a cab - pool was closed for five hours in the middle of Saturday cause the life guard was on a break.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate the feedback you have submitted and will address our staff with your concerns. We will continue to improve on our guest service to ensure each and every guest feels welcomed and any requests are handled efficiently. Please consider us for another stay in the future.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed here when I missed my connecting flight. I used that service the airline provided to get a discounted hotel. I wished I could have stayed a little longer. I thought everything about the hotel was wonderful. The lobby was modern and inviting. When I got to my room, the decor was up to date and very pleasing. If I'm in the area again, I would definitely stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
I'm not discounting the fact that your missed flight was an inconvenience, but in this case, at least it created an opportunity for you to come check out our hotel. And during your short stay, we were able to win you over. So much so, that you will come back to us should an opportunity present itself. Thank you for your review. We can't wait to see you again!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is one of the most elegant hotels I've stayed at for many years. The lobby is classy and has wonderful music piping in that is low-key and very pleasing. If I were to use a word to define this lovely place ...I would use the term attention to detail. Many comfortable seating arrangements in the lobby that are conducive to sitting and chatting, while allowing for private conversations. There are a few computer stations for visitors use that do nothing to detract from the atmosphere of gracious living. All the people on staff are top notch. When the Maitre D is able to remember the baby's name...that is impressive. The bathrooms down in the lobby are very beautifully decorated. Food is excellent and breakfast starts with a complimentary yogurt smoothie that changes daily. What a nice touch. Adjoining the Lobby is an Illy bar that serves wonderful capucchino and espresso as well as croissants and such. The proximity of lots of terrific shops and restaurants makes for easy walking expeditions to explore the area. My daughter and I witnessed a large group of high school age young people in several locations including the lobby and the elevators. Some groups on the elevator were somewhat loud, but were polite and respectful when adults chose to ride with them. My daughter got on an elevator with her baby to bring him back to her room...the kids had been chatting and immediately hushed each other so as not to wake the baby. It was nice to see a large group of young people learning to comport themselves as adults. Kudos to the hotel for encouraging their presence!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel for your stay and for taking the time to highlight so many details of our hotel. The ambiance that you described is exactly what we are going for. I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to stop by SOCCi Kitchen + Bar and for giving our menu a try. We appreciate your business and hope that you will think of us in the future. By the way, our lobby restroom was featured in America's Best Restrooms. It is pretty cool!
South Bend, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed for a night here on our sightseeing trip to DC. My experience is neutral. I don't have anything special to say about this place. This is an average 3 star hotel.

When we went to check-in, the front desk guy said "Just a minute, I'll be right back with you" and disappeared for more than 5 mins.

On the second floor, there were some party going on (noisy with some Arabian music). The party guests filled the parking space. We payed for 24 hr self parking. Around midnight, we thought to get our car out and go for a ride in the DC. I was concerned about the parking space availability when we return later. The front desk lady did not confirm me parking space on return but she told may be that they could do valet parking if possible. Well, I payed the full parking fee ($24/24 hrs) and you cannot confirm me space?? When we returned around 1 am, the parking space was full (as we expected). We went to the Valet parking and told about the situation. They were ready to help and we had no issues. But if the lady assured me a space from the beginning, I would not have had to think about parking all the time. A few nice gestures can make a lot of difference.

This is located far away from Metro. There is a hotel shuttle service, but not very efficient. We were told it come and go every 20 mins till 11pm. But it was not. While we waited in a chilly night for Renaissance shuttle, we saw other hotel shuttle came and pick up people twice. We saw many hotels pretty close to Crystal City Metro. Look it up if you plan to use Metro.

There are train tracks nearby. (Check the picture I uploaded.) If you are intolerant to noises in night, you may find it annoying.

The oversize shower heads are pretty good. Toiletries were of average quality.

The gym was good. You can get in anytime with your room key. If you are lucky, you may get an apple. The gym coffee machine was broken or not maintained

They should probably change some of the wrong exit directions in their underground garage. We had to do a u-turn one time. But the parking guys were helpful. May be they rerouted when garage was full because the valet parking guys parked cars every possible open space including drive ways.

I didn't feel value for the money spent. You have to pay for everything (internet, parking, breakfast). May be I'll try Residence Inn Arlington Capital View next time, which was second in our shortlist.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am familiar with the weekend you are describing in your comments. We did, indeed, host a rather large wedding party recently with many guests in attendance which made for a hectic parking garage. However, as duly noted, our valet and parking garage attendants were on hand to assist. I also want to apologize for the shuttle service you experienced during your stay. We are taking measures to ensure that the 20 minute interval is adhered to for the safety, comfort, and convenience of our guests. I have also shared your comments regarding our Fitness Center with the appropriate staff so that we can eliminate the issues you highlighted. We understand that if we deliver average service, we will become an average hotel. This is certainly not our goal. We will continue to grow and learn from the feedback given on TripAdvisor. Thank you for your business. Maybe someday you will reconsider and give us another try. This is my hope.
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was here for just 1 night on business. Great atmosphere...modern and hip; nice Illy coffee bar in lobby; updated rooms. Really no complaints. What really stood out for me was the service at the front desk though. The gentleman who checked me in was exceedingly friendly, polite, and gracious. This provided a wonderful first impression of the hotel, and I was not disappointed. I'd definitely go back. (Re: location, this hotel is practically in the airport, so can't be beat for convenience.)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I am glad you were able to experience our magnificent hotel, if only for a night. I am even more pleased that we not only met your expectations, but exceeded them. Would you please recommend the Renaissance Arlington Capital View to friends and family when they travel to DC? They'll be glad you did!

Been to Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel? Share your experiences!