“Good property - staff seems to be learning the ropes-” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 48 hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Wilton, Connecticut
“Good property - staff seems to be learning the ropes-”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Room was good- breakfast was good- they wanted to charge for Internet which is surprising since everyone is giving it away for free. The staff at the front door and checking are very inexperienced - cant seem to arrange a cab - pool was closed for five hours in the middle of Saturday cause the life guard was on a break.

• Stayed April 2013
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate the feedback you have submitted and will address our staff with your concerns. We will continue to improve on our guest service to ensure each and every guest feels welcomed and any requests are handled efficiently. Please consider us for another stay in the future.

348 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed here when I missed my connecting flight. I used that service the airline provided to get a discounted hotel. I wished I could have stayed a little longer. I thought everything about the hotel was wonderful. The lobby was modern and inviting. When I got to my room, the decor was up to date and very pleasing. If I'm in the area again, I would definitely stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
I'm not discounting the fact that your missed flight was an inconvenience, but in this case, at least it created an opportunity for you to come check out our hotel. And during your short stay, we were able to win you over. So much so, that you will come back to us should an opportunity present itself. Thank you for your review. We can't wait to see you again!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is one of the most elegant hotels I've stayed at for many years. The lobby is classy and has wonderful music piping in that is low-key and very pleasing. If I were to use a word to define this lovely place ...I would use the term attention to detail. Many comfortable seating arrangements in the lobby that are conducive to sitting and chatting, while allowing for private conversations. There are a few computer stations for visitors use that do nothing to detract from the atmosphere of gracious living. All the people on staff are top notch. When the Maitre D is able to remember the baby's name...that is impressive. The bathrooms down in the lobby are very beautifully decorated. Food is excellent and breakfast starts with a complimentary yogurt smoothie that changes daily. What a nice touch. Adjoining the Lobby is an Illy bar that serves wonderful capucchino and espresso as well as croissants and such. The proximity of lots of terrific shops and restaurants makes for easy walking expeditions to explore the area. My daughter and I witnessed a large group of high school age young people in several locations including the lobby and the elevators. Some groups on the elevator were somewhat loud, but were polite and respectful when adults chose to ride with them. My daughter got on an elevator with her baby to bring him back to her room...the kids had been chatting and immediately hushed each other so as not to wake the baby. It was nice to see a large group of young people learning to comport themselves as adults. Kudos to the hotel for encouraging their presence!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel for your stay and for taking the time to highlight so many details of our hotel. The ambiance that you described is exactly what we are going for. I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to stop by SOCCi Kitchen + Bar and for giving our menu a try. We appreciate your business and hope that you will think of us in the future. By the way, our lobby restroom was featured in America's Best Restrooms. It is pretty cool!
South Bend, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed for a night here on our sightseeing trip to DC. My experience is neutral. I don't have anything special to say about this place. This is an average 3 star hotel.

When we went to check-in, the front desk guy said "Just a minute, I'll be right back with you" and disappeared for more than 5 mins.

On the second floor, there were some party going on (noisy with some Arabian music). The party guests filled the parking space. We payed for 24 hr self parking. Around midnight, we thought to get our car out and go for a ride in the DC. I was concerned about the parking space availability when we return later. The front desk lady did not confirm me parking space on return but she told may be that they could do valet parking if possible. Well, I payed the full parking fee ($24/24 hrs) and you cannot confirm me space?? When we returned around 1 am, the parking space was full (as we expected). We went to the Valet parking and told about the situation. They were ready to help and we had no issues. But if the lady assured me a space from the beginning, I would not have had to think about parking all the time. A few nice gestures can make a lot of difference.

This is located far away from Metro. There is a hotel shuttle service, but not very efficient. We were told it come and go every 20 mins till 11pm. But it was not. While we waited in a chilly night for Renaissance shuttle, we saw other hotel shuttle came and pick up people twice. We saw many hotels pretty close to Crystal City Metro. Look it up if you plan to use Metro.

There are train tracks nearby. (Check the picture I uploaded.) If you are intolerant to noises in night, you may find it annoying.

The oversize shower heads are pretty good. Toiletries were of average quality.

The gym was good. You can get in anytime with your room key. If you are lucky, you may get an apple. The gym coffee machine was broken or not maintained

They should probably change some of the wrong exit directions in their underground garage. We had to do a u-turn one time. But the parking guys were helpful. May be they rerouted when garage was full because the valet parking guys parked cars every possible open space including drive ways.

I didn't feel value for the money spent. You have to pay for everything (internet, parking, breakfast). May be I'll try Residence Inn Arlington Capital View next time, which was second in our shortlist.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am familiar with the weekend you are describing in your comments. We did, indeed, host a rather large wedding party recently with many guests in attendance which made for a hectic parking garage. However, as duly noted, our valet and parking garage attendants were on hand to assist. I also want to apologize for the shuttle service you experienced during your stay. We are taking measures to ensure that the 20 minute interval is adhered to for the safety, comfort, and convenience of our guests. I have also shared your comments regarding our Fitness Center with the appropriate staff so that we can eliminate the issues you highlighted. We understand that if we deliver average service, we will become an average hotel. This is certainly not our goal. We will continue to grow and learn from the feedback given on TripAdvisor. Thank you for your business. Maybe someday you will reconsider and give us another try. This is my hope.
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was here for just 1 night on business. Great atmosphere...modern and hip; nice Illy coffee bar in lobby; updated rooms. Really no complaints. What really stood out for me was the service at the front desk though. The gentleman who checked me in was exceedingly friendly, polite, and gracious. This provided a wonderful first impression of the hotel, and I was not disappointed. I'd definitely go back. (Re: location, this hotel is practically in the airport, so can't be beat for convenience.)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I am glad you were able to experience our magnificent hotel, if only for a night. I am even more pleased that we not only met your expectations, but exceeded them. Would you please recommend the Renaissance Arlington Capital View to friends and family when they travel to DC? They'll be glad you did!
Bermuda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Visited Arlington Virginia for a business course in March 2013. The hotel is located near railroad tracks, therefore, you have to contend with the noise during the night as the freight and passenger trains pass nearby. If you are a light sleeper this can be a problem. Otherwise the hotel is a beautiful place to stay and if you do ask for a corner room which is a nice size.

Room Tip: If space is an issue choose a corner room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel for your stay. We know you have a choice of hotels in the DC area and we appreciate your business. While we seldomly receive negative comments about the trains that are nearby, it is in our guest's best interest to allow them to choose where they would like to be situated in the hotel. We will do everything possible to make sure each of our guests are comfortable in their surroundings and we want to exceed their expectations so that they will choose us for a future stay.
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed here for one night to attend a conference. Wish I could have stayed longer! The hotel is located within walking distance of lots of restaurants, and is also conveniently located near the airport if you are flying into town, or near the beltway if you are driving. The conference space was very nice and the food for the attendees was wonderful. I also appreciated that a complimentary internet code was included for the people attending the conference. (I personally think that it should be complimentary for every guest!). The room was fine and included a mini-refrigerator and a very nice shower. I would have liked a more detailed hotel information book with clear directions about things like the operation of the A/C, but otherwise I have no complaints. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: If view is important to you then ask for a room facing the Airport. Otherwise your view will be of...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I wish you could have stayed here longer, too! Perhaps you will come when you don't have to attend to business, but will have the time to attend to your own personal relaxation. You could hang out with us and have a nice lunch out on the terrace or do a little shopping in town. How about a nice, quiet evening enjoying a delicious dinner at SOCCi? Doesn't that sound appealing? Throw in a good book to curl up with and you could be rejuvenated in no time. Thank you for sharing your experience with other TripAdvisor users.

Been to Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel? Share your experiences!