“Nothing special about this place” 3 of 5 stars

Save up to 15% off
Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mishawaka, Indiana
“Nothing special about this place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed for a night here on our sightseeing trip to DC. My experience is neutral. I don't have anything special to say about this place. This is an average 3 star hotel.

When we went to check-in, the front desk guy said "Just a minute, I'll be right back with you" and disappeared for more than 5 mins.

On the second floor, there were some party going on (noisy with some Arabian music). The party guests filled the parking space. We payed for 24 hr self parking. Around midnight, we thought to get our car out and go for a ride in the DC. I was concerned about the parking space availability when we return later. The front desk lady did not confirm me parking space on return but she told may be that they could do valet parking if possible. Well, I payed the full parking fee ($24/24 hrs) and you cannot confirm me space?? When we returned around 1 am, the parking space was full (as we expected). We went to the Valet parking and told about the situation. They were ready to help and we had no issues. But if the lady assured me a space from the beginning, I would not have had to think about parking all the time. A few nice gestures can make a lot of difference.

This is located far away from Metro. There is a hotel shuttle service, but not very efficient. We were told it come and go every 20 mins till 11pm. But it was not. While we waited in a chilly night for Renaissance shuttle, we saw other hotel shuttle came and pick up people twice. We saw many hotels pretty close to Crystal City Metro. Look it up if you plan to use Metro.

There are train tracks nearby. (Check the picture I uploaded.) If you are intolerant to noises in night, you may find it annoying.

The oversize shower heads are pretty good. Toiletries were of average quality.

The gym was good. You can get in anytime with your room key. If you are lucky, you may get an apple. The gym coffee machine was broken or not maintained

They should probably change some of the wrong exit directions in their underground garage. We had to do a u-turn one time. But the parking guys were helpful. May be they rerouted when garage was full because the valet parking guys parked cars every possible open space including drive ways.

I didn't feel value for the money spent. You have to pay for everything (internet, parking, breakfast). May be I'll try Residence Inn Arlington Capital View next time, which was second in our shortlist.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am familiar with the weekend you are describing in your comments. We did, indeed, host a rather large wedding party recently with many guests in attendance which made for a hectic parking garage. However, as duly noted, our valet and parking garage attendants were on hand to assist. I also want to apologize for the shuttle service you experienced during your stay. We are taking measures to ensure that the 20 minute interval is adhered to for the safety, comfort, and convenience of our guests. I have also shared your comments regarding our Fitness Center with the appropriate staff so that we can eliminate the issues you highlighted. We understand that if we deliver average service, we will become an average hotel. This is certainly not our goal. We will continue to grow and learn from the feedback given on TripAdvisor. Thank you for your business. Maybe someday you will reconsider and give us another try. This is my hope.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Turkish first
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was here for just 1 night on business. Great atmosphere...modern and hip; nice Illy coffee bar in lobby; updated rooms. Really no complaints. What really stood out for me was the service at the front desk though. The gentleman who checked me in was exceedingly friendly, polite, and gracious. This provided a wonderful first impression of the hotel, and I was not disappointed. I'd definitely go back. (Re: location, this hotel is practically in the airport, so can't be beat for convenience.)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I am glad you were able to experience our magnificent hotel, if only for a night. I am even more pleased that we not only met your expectations, but exceeded them. Would you please recommend the Renaissance Arlington Capital View to friends and family when they travel to DC? They'll be glad you did!
Bermuda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Visited Arlington Virginia for a business course in March 2013. The hotel is located near railroad tracks, therefore, you have to contend with the noise during the night as the freight and passenger trains pass nearby. If you are a light sleeper this can be a problem. Otherwise the hotel is a beautiful place to stay and if you do ask for a corner room which is a nice size.

Room Tip: If space is an issue choose a corner room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel for your stay. We know you have a choice of hotels in the DC area and we appreciate your business. While we seldomly receive negative comments about the trains that are nearby, it is in our guest's best interest to allow them to choose where they would like to be situated in the hotel. We will do everything possible to make sure each of our guests are comfortable in their surroundings and we want to exceed their expectations so that they will choose us for a future stay.
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed here for one night to attend a conference. Wish I could have stayed longer! The hotel is located within walking distance of lots of restaurants, and is also conveniently located near the airport if you are flying into town, or near the beltway if you are driving. The conference space was very nice and the food for the attendees was wonderful. I also appreciated that a complimentary internet code was included for the people attending the conference. (I personally think that it should be complimentary for every guest!). The room was fine and included a mini-refrigerator and a very nice shower. I would have liked a more detailed hotel information book with clear directions about things like the operation of the A/C, but otherwise I have no complaints. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: If view is important to you then ask for a room facing the Airport. Otherwise your view will be of...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I wish you could have stayed here longer, too! Perhaps you will come when you don't have to attend to business, but will have the time to attend to your own personal relaxation. You could hang out with us and have a nice lunch out on the terrace or do a little shopping in town. How about a nice, quiet evening enjoying a delicious dinner at SOCCi? Doesn't that sound appealing? Throw in a good book to curl up with and you could be rejuvenated in no time. Thank you for sharing your experience with other TripAdvisor users.
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is fine, and the price is much better than others in the area. The rooms appear new, but the furniture shows its age quickly. The proximity to the airport is key (although the shuttle is only every 20 minutes). The lobby and common areas try too hard to be hip, but that really does not matter. The mattress is great, and the room is clean. Charging for Internet is a bit bad.

Room Tip: Do NOT get a City View room - you look into other rooms without a clear shot to DC. The Airport view...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We are always on the look-out for ways to improve our overall guest experience. We understand that first impressions are lasting impressions and we take a lot of pride in our hotel's appearance. Anytime we identify furniture in need of repair or replacement, rest assured it will be taken care of. We love the new feel of our hotel and we want to keep it that way. I hope you will consider us for another stay whenever you are in the DC area.
Largo, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a nice hotel with a contemporary flair. Bed was very comfortable. Employees were friendly and for the most part helpful. We stayed here recently as we were in town to see the cherry blossoms which unfortunately we missed. The shuttle to the metro worked out fine. I was a little concerned about booking a hotel so near the airport, but did not read anything about noise issues in other reviews. When making a reservation I did request a room on the quiet side of the building. I repeated the request at check in. I found myself bothered throughout the night by what I discovered in the morning was noise from nearby passing trains. After talking to the front desk clerk we were changed to a room on the other side of the hotel which was fine. A helpful tip: there are a number of good reasonably priced restaurants easily accessible from the Pentagon City Metro stop which is just one stop away. After entering the mall there keep walking straight through the mall and through the parking garage and when you emerge there is a great Thai restaurant, an Irish pub and many others.

Room Tip: Request room away from the train tracks.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your review to TripAdvisor. We certainly appreciate your feedback and your business. There are certainly all kinds of things to discover when you stay with us. Crystal City has so much to offer and everything you could ever want is just a hop, skip, and a jump away.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The Renaissance “Capital View” is, in reality, at a distance of over five miles from the US Capitol. Any view of the capitol is limited to guests on an upper floor facing the Potomac. (Bring binoculars to see the capitol more clearly!) I suspect the chosen name has more panache than the “Renaissance Airport View.” Situated above Reagan National, for good or bad, that’s the real “view.” The hotel’s west side alternative has a view of adjacent hotels.

The Renaissance has a hip, trendy, flair, (if you enjoy this sort of vibe.) There’s upbeat music in the lobby area and the décor of common areas is quite modern, with festive green color tones throughout. While I requested a King room with an upper floor, “view” exposure, I was told by the front desk staff that they had no King on that side of the building. (Perhaps suspect, as I was staying at the property through a discounted Priceline rate). I was instead given a corner room on the non-view side of the building. The room itself was very nice, although quite small; almost like something you’d get in mid-town Manhattan. The biggest perks of the room were the great bed with superior quality sheets and excellent room darkening blinds, a weakness at most hotels. Also, as others have mentioned, the bathroom in the King room has a large walk-in glass enclosed shower and the shower head was simply fabulous, prompting long, lingering showers.

The Renaissance is located in the same building as the Residence Inn, and the two hotels share an exercise facility and pool. The latter is VERY small. Photos of the pool on the hotel website creatively capture a corner of the pool, as not to showcase the small size. Also, of interest is that the pool is open limited hours.

As we were traveling with a child, we requested a roll-away bed to use. Interestingly we were not charged for this at check-out, unless this was in error. It always seems that higher end hotels nickel and dime you to death with fees for everything. (Paying for parking was painful enough). Speaking of parking, there seems to be limited street parking on Potomac Avenue heading south from the entrance of the Residence Inn. If you’re on a budget, and don’t mind waking a block or so, you may be able to forgo the $24 parking fee charged for garage parking.

Hotel’s location at the south end of Crystal City is void of retail commerce close by. You can either walk north about six blocks to stores/restaurants, or drive about a mile south to a large strip center with a Target, movie theater, etc. Also, the Hyatt and Courtyard by Marriott are adjacent to the Renaissance. In pinch, you can be sneaky and hitch a ride on one of their shuttles back from the Metro if there’s a long delay getting the Marriott shuttle.

While I wouldn't pay the sticker price for this hotel, it's very nice and I will wholeheartedly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Potomac side come with a trade-off, increased airport & train noise. Rooms on lower...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for such a detailed review of our hotel! While a view of the airport is much more visible to our guests than a close-up view of the Capitol, I often hear guests exclaim in delight when they can spot the Capitol building from our Club Level Lounge. It's fun to see how many DC sights one can pick out of the horizon. And please don't feel discriminated against when it comes to bed types and what company a reservation was made with. It's true, we do not have a king bedroom on any of the upper club level floors on the view side of the hotel, with the exception of a hospitality suite, which was probably not available at the time of your arrival. I hope there are no hard feelings about that because we would certainly want you to come back again sometime. It sounds like you were able to discover quite a bit of the hotel, but now that the weather is warming up, perhaps you can return to the hotel and take one of our bikes out for a spin and explore some more of the Crystal City area. Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We appreciate your feedback.

Been to Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel? Share your experiences!