“Do not park across the street!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Save Up to 25% in No. VA
Ranked #7 of 47 hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Do not park across the street!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Don't be alarmed by my review title. This hotel was GREAT. We really enjoyed our stay, and the hotel was clean and upscale. Loved the location, and especially loved the FREE bike loner program. We were able to bike to the capital in no time along the beautiful bikeway (ie we never had to tangle with cars on the road). But ... don't make the mistake of trying to park across the street in the parking deck. I parked there and was basically accosted by a guard for "not walking out the correct exit." The parking deck is not associated with the hotel. The deck allows parking but they get MAD if you walk out on the side facing the hotel. The incident scared me so bad that I left the garage (after paying $7 for parking there for a mere 10 minutes, 9 of which I was being yelled at by a guard who was pointing a GUN at me!) On the weekend, parking is ample on the street and I had no trouble parking for free.

Room Tip: Don't park in the deck across the street!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for complimenting our hotel. I gather you had quite the scare when you parked your car across the street. Not that this explanation will make it any better, but the garage across the street happens to be located in a government agency building and the security for the building is tighter than Fort Knox. A sign of the times, I suppose. However, on this side of the street, at the Renaissance, we're aiming for relaxation, comfort and a stress-free environment. Don't get me wrong, the security of our guests is extremely important and we have our own security on the premises. However, the way we approach our guests when they exit the hotel's parking garage is a lot different than the experience you had at the garage across the street. I hope this incident will not deter you from visiting us in the future. We would love to have you stay with us again.

400 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

There's a lot to like about the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel. This property has a modern feel to it, from the lobby area, with its set of iMac workstations for public use (there's a separate area for printing boarding passes), to the rooms that are contemporary and comfortable.

There's an illy coffeeshop just off the main lobby, and the breakfast buffet in the hotel's restaurant is excellent. The restaurant also doubles as a bar area at night, which is both efficient and well done.

There is a shuttle service to both DCA (Reagan National Airport) and the nearby Crystal City Metro station. The Metro station is walkable in good weather, but there are hotels much closer to the Metro station if that is a high priority.

Whether or not I return to this property on future visits depends on the price at the time relative to other options in the area. I like this hotel in every respect, but there are a lot of choices available in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for submitting a review of your experience at our hotel to TripAdvisor. We really do appreciate the feedback and your business. Although there are several hotels in the area, I hope our guest service will keep you coming back to us here at the Renaissance Arlington Capital View. We love our repeat guests!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed here one night during Inauguration weekend because my intent was to fly up before my mom came so i could visit friends. She ended up coming with me but we both agreed that the hotel was very nice and well-appointed. I also got a great price at a AAA rate and considering it was Inauguration weekend and I paid $89? Score!

Every person I came in contact with at this hotel was very nice and polite. I say this because not every Renaissance in the Marriott chain has people like that working there. Also, the beds are drool-worthy. I mean that by the fact that I literally wanted to stay in the bed and keep drooling because I slept so well.

The hotel is LEED certified.

They have apple computers for your use in the lobby and free wi-fi also in the lobby but it costs in the room. I really wish hotels will do away with this. This is one of the reasons they only have 4 stars and not 5. I don't understand why the cheaper hotels in the Marriott chains give you all free everything and the more expensive ones make you pay for everything. Sigh. Can't have it all I guess.

The other reason why they got 4 stars and not 5 is because the lobby was FREEZING! You couldn't really sit at the computers too long because every time someone came in the door all the freezing air came in behind it! I know they are trying to save energy and all that but this is January in DC for goodness sakes! lol

They have a shuttle to the Metro station. You could walk there but it will take you a good 15 minutes. The shuttle also picks up and drops off at DCA Airport. Self-Parking and Valet cost big bucks: Self parking is $24 and Valet is $29. So whatever works for you I guess...

I will make this hotel one of my regulars on my jaunts to DC. I will be back :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
We are so glad you chose the Renaissance Arlington Capital View for your stay over Inauguration weekend! We know there are several hotels to choose from in Crystal City and we intend to keep our guests coming back by winning them over with our wonderful guest service and the comforts our hotel has to offer. Thank you for your review. We hope you will choose us for another stay sometime.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here during Inauguration Weekend 2013 and it was very tame considering the event. I was pleased with the maintenance of the hotel and how they accommodated the heavy crowd for the weekend.

The room was very clean and spacious. I actually stayed in a suite so I was very comfortable and the view was amazing. Whatever was needed we called and they would send someone up right away. I was also shocked to know how close to the city of DC it was. I took a cab in the city and spent $25 max from hotel. Traffic was in sane this particular weekend so it was good to know the hotel wasn't too far from city and events in the city.

Overall a very pleasant stay and will definitely consider it as a DC (although it's in VA) option in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for mentioning that we would be a DC option the next time you're in town. It is our hotel's mission to become the landmark hotel of Washington, DC. That's right! We are that close to DC! That's the beauty of being Crystal City's gem hotel. Everything from nightlife to shopping to dining to sightseeing. We've got it all in our back yard. Thank you for giving Renaissance Arlington Capital View your business.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is modern and hip love the decor at the main lobby. The staff was excellent we arrived at 4 am and they settled us into our room quickly. Our room was spacious we stayed on the 14 floor across the executive lounge. The lounge was also a beautiful room we had breakfast on our last day, view was great if you enjoy the airport. Overall the food, room, and staff was excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for spending the weekend with us. Inauguration weekend was a special time for us and we were happy to welcome guests from all over the world to our hotel. If your travels ever lead you back to the area, we hope you will consider us for another stay.
Okemos, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The location is convenient to the Reagan National Airport. However, the hotel is priced high even for the Washington, DC, area. Serviceable, and would use again, but no reason to go out of my way to stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate the time you took to rate our hotel and submit your feedback to TripAdvisor. We are glad that you mentioned our great guest service and the fact that we are near DCA. It is my hope that these values will steer you back in our direction the next time you're in Crystal City. Thank you for your business.
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

What a refreshing change this hotel is from the traditional and generic. This places feels like a "W" hotel without all the attitude. Strikingly modern, yet inviting decor and excellent service help further distinguish it. The lobby, complete with art and sculptures in a "great room" with a bar, open kitchen and iMac computers sets the tone. The rooms, while not huge, are uber stylish and have great amenities such as bathrobes, lots of lotions and products from Aveda, mini- fridges and an amazing shower. And the bed is heavenly too.

The fitness center feels like a 1st Class gym with tons of equipment, including free weights, nautilus, treadmills, fresh fruit and water. There is a changing room but no sauna or steam room. The pool is on the small side but clean and new. The restaurant serves up a nice brunch with made-to-order omelets and waffles along with apple sausage, Yukon potatoes, fresh fruit, bacon, lox and bagels and other breads.

The service is polite, efficient and professional. Ask and they will deliver, or try and find a way.

Few hotels impress me these days but this place is first rate. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review to TripAdvisor and for staying with us at the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel. I am glad you had the chance to explore the hotel and to take advantage of the amenities we have to offer such as the restaurant and fitness center. We can't wait to see you again soon!

Been to Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel? Share your experiences!