“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at the Ranaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel for only (sigh) one night. Modern yet comfortable vibe with top notch room and lobby decor and ambiance. Lobby restaurant very good as well. Recommended hotel when staying in the Arlington/DC Metro area. Front Desk manager Parker went out of his way to ensure a great experience.

Room Tip: Request room with an airport view if you enjoy seeing take offs and landings.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for the great review. We will share your comments with our team members and with Parker. No need to sigh...just come back and spend more time with us. We'll be waiting!

346 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Turkish first
Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We were originally looking for offsite parking for our vacation out of DCA airport and saw an option via an online airport parking website for valet parking at $8/day at the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel. We were also considering finding a Park, Sleep & Fly package so we wouldn't start out the day tired from the 2.5 hr drive from Delaware. We called the hotel and inquired about such a package since we didn't find anything on their website, and were quoted $129 before taxes for staying over 1 night and parking for 7. That was well worth it for us to start the day only minutes from the airport.

On arrival, the valet parking didn't really know what to do with us and had to check with the front desk. We were a bit uncomfortable for a while as we felt that between the valet and the front desk they were very unclear about whether we should self-park or valet, and what our extra rate was for the 2 additional days we were away beyond the 1 week. It turned out to be $22/day additional, which we knew ahead of time, but is really excessive since you can otherwise park at this hotel for $8/day, and I had read some reviews from others that weren't charged extra if it was just a couple of days. After we arrived home, we found some scratches on the car rear bumper, as if the car was parked too close to a concrete wall, but that was our mistake that we didn't go over the vehicle on arrival and then departure with the valets.

Once parked and settled in, the hotel is very nice. It seems more suited as a business hotel, but we were comfortable, and enjoyed pre-vacation drinks and meal at Socci, the bar/restaurant off the lobby. Prices for drinks and food were high for an equivalent restaurant, pretty standard for hotel restaurants, and service, drinks, and food were excellent. My husband asked the server if they could add buttershots to his Appletini (it makes it into a Caramel Appletini!), and after the drink was brought to us, the bartender came over to see if it was to his satisfaction, and to ask about the recipe - a very friendly yet professional conversation.

We heard some noise in the room from the airport and train tracks, but then again we picked the hotel for the close proximity!

The hotel lobby and rooms are very well-appointed, elegant yet comfortable. The shuttle to and from the airport was very convenient and ran every 20 minutes. The shuttle stops at several Arlington hotels, and there are north and south loops, so make sure you get on the right shuttle at the airport.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for selecting us for your stay and for submitting a review of your experience. The feedback you have given will enable us to know what areas need attention to detail as we want all of our guests to feel comfortable and relaxed, not awkward. I apologize for the confusion caused by our valet team when you arrived at the hotel. We will use your feedback to instill further training with them so that they understand the procedures associated with the Park and Fly packages. We appreciate your business and hope that when your travels bring you back to Crystal City, you will think of us.
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed 2 nights in October. The room was very nice. Comfy bed and clean. Shuttles from Reagan airport and to the metro come about every 20 minutes. Nice extensive exercise room. I didnt eat there, but this hotel is within walking distance to some very nice food choices near the Crystal city Mall.

Room Tip: Ask to have a view of the water.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Arlington Capital View for your stay. We hope that you will visit us again soon!
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel which were work related. The rooms were clean and spacious although it was annoying to have very few HD channels. I did not eat at the hotel b/c the breakfast was $18 which I found a bit pricey) and the food they provided for our conference left much to be desired *but I don't know if that was the hotels fault or just what the conference requested. The bed was comfy and the navigator was helpful once I could get in touch with him; I sat on hold for 5+ minutes.

My room was only stocked with decaf coffee so I had to call the front desk to bring regular up and it took about 30 minutes rather than the 15 they told me. I also had a dirty towel in my room and food in the fridge that had not been cleaned from the previous desk (old kiwi, pears and half a cheesburger were not a great smell!).

There are no restaurants really close so after a full day of walking it was a bit annoying. don't be misled by the name, the only view you have from here is the airport, train and Metro right outside your window.

The pool was only lukewarm and there was very little information the rooms about the surrounding area. They did not post they ahd a shuttle service, did not give you a list of nearby restaurants and there was no direct line to call the navigator other than going through the front desk.

On the upside, they do provide a shuttle service to the airport and to the Metro stop; each runs about every 20 minutes. The beds were comfy as well. The meeting rooms were nice and I did like the terrace to go outside but it was locked the day I was there (I assume b/c it was raining). The hotel has some upside but I have had better experiences at lesser priced hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not on the train side of the hotel (East I think?).
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of our hotel. I apologize that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and that there was more than one occasion where we failed to deliver guest satisfaction. We have taken your comments and will be sharing them with all of our departments in order to take the necessary steps to ensure that issues you encountered are not repeated with other guests. We will continue to work towards perfecting the guest experience at our hotel. Should you wish to speak with me about your stay, I would be more than happy to take the time to listen. Your business means alot to us and I would love an opportunity to rebuild a relationship with you so that you would consider us for another stay.
Haymarket, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The folks here were very helpful and the food is great. The rooms are very nice, but my favorite part were all the balcony areas in the conference area. I would highly recommend this hotel for business and leisure travel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Now that you've had the chance to experience the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel for business purposes, it's time to come back and hang out with us to have a little fun! Did you know that we have live entertainment every Thursday evening? Or that we offer complimentary bikes for our guests so they can check out the nearby trails? Have you had the chance to enjoy any of the appetizers and entrees offered on our menu in SOCCi? If not, it's time you did. Thank you for the great review. We look forward to seeing you again real soon.
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Although this hotel is a few blocks away from many of the restaurants and other hotels near the airport, it is worth walking a few blocks to dinner. Many of the other hotels in the area are showing their age. The Renaissance looks and feels new and modern, from the lobby to the hallways to the room.

The location is very convenient to DCA. Checkin and out were quick, the staff was friendly.

They also offer some great deals on weekends when there is less business travel demand.

The one disappointment was the restaurant. While the combination lounge/restaurant looks stylish, there was a very limited menu and nothing that caught our eye. We instead walked a few blocks where we found a variety of interesting places in Crystal City,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel. As you already know, we are the new kid on the block and our hotel is just a little more than a year old. However, make no mistake about it, we are Renaissance and strive to deliver our Discoverers an experience unlike anything else in Crystal City. We offer guests a chance to explore our hotel and our city, while also giving them an opportunity to blend in with the locals. We appreciate your business. Please come back to see us again soon!
Latham, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

A modern conference center and hotel in crystal city that is appealing to the eye at first but the experience was far from acceptable for the hotel class it claims to be. My wife and I stayed there for a conference that was held there. We arrived very early (7:30am) and checked to see if we could check in, by chance. We were told no king beds were available (we had a reservation for a room with a king bed) but they wrote down our phone number and said they would call after morning check out when a room was ready - probably around noon. At noon, we check via a co-worker's room phone to see if a room was ready. They said no and try at 1. At 1, I called again and they said they did not have a room and asked for my cell number because they had no record of it from when I gave it to them that morning. At 2:12, I received a call from the hotel but missed it because I had to run out the conference to answer it. So I went to the front desk who denied calling me and said they still didn't have a room for us. The front desk person said she could upgrade us to a 2 double bed room. I said a double bed is not an upgrade. They said it was because it was on a club level. I begrudgingly agreed. Our room was the same as our co-worker's who was on a non-club level floor. I called the front desk and asked why it was an upgrade and do we have access to the club lounge. I was told that the room had better soaps and a single bathrobe and was on a higher floor making it an upgrade. They refused I I've us access to the club lounge. So my wife and I crammed ourselves into the double bed for 2 nights. My wife insisted that we had to use the single robe for the upgrade. Our view was of another hotel tower and if I pressed my face against the glass, I could see a McDonalds. My co-worker also had a king bed reservation but was given a double on a non club level with access to the lounge. Although everyone was polite, the service was fair. One front desk person was helpful in suggesting and giving us directions to Old Town Alexandria for dinner. The airport shuttle ran between multiple hotels and one traveler said that 3 vans had stopped full of people and left the people from their hotel behind. I think this hotel puts on a nice how at first but is really disappointing with the follow through. Do they have all the king size bed rooms that they take reservations for? I would not choose to stay there again with other fine hotel brands in the immediate area.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled into thinking a club level room is any different from a regular level room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. It is disappointing to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and that you were not satisfied with your guest room. I hope you will accept my sincerest apology. It is certainly never our intention to place a guest into a room that does not offer the level of comfort they were expecting. It is important for us to see that the lesson learned in all of this is to never assume that what we perceive as an "upgraded room" for our guests will be interpreted as such by our guests. In this case, an upgraded room should have been everything you were already expecting to receive, and then more. This did not happen during your stay. As a result, we have lost you as a future guest to our competitors. While we cannot undo what happened to you during your recent stay, I will continue to hope that you will possibly reconsider your position and give us another chance in the future. We would appreciate your repeat business.

Been to Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel? Share your experiences!