“Hotel overcharges” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver, Canada
“Hotel overcharges”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from July, 14-17 and at check in I was notified that there would be a 75 per night charge for incidentals such as room service, Internet which would be taken off the held amount however at the end of my stay. I received a receipt with the charges on it and the front desk explained that the held amount that was put on my credit card would be credited back to me. But as I get my aug credit card bill there is a 300 dollar charge still by the hotel even though I paid in full through Travelocity and only incurred a total of 50 dollars in one room service and one day of Internet. Why is this the case?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Renaissance Arlington Capital View. I have also received your message from Marriott Customer Care regarding the hold that was placed on your credit card and we are working to resolve this issue. Please contact the hotel directly if you need to speak with me. I will be more than happy to assist you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Turkish first
Flushing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Our stay at the Renaissance was the best hotel experience we have ever had. The rooms and general decor were beautiful, the staff was beyond excellent, and not once did we feel unwelcome! The beautiful girl at the front desk (evening hours) knew who I was by name after our initial check in and always greeted me with it- very personal service! I wish I had gotten her name so I could commend her personally! We traveled with our 3 teenagers so we were in need of extra toiletries and towels everyday which were cheerfully given out (Aveda products too!!) and any requests were handled within minutes. The valet parking was worth the extra $5/day as the attendants were kind, quick and extremely helpful. My only negative issue was the wifi not being provided free in rooms. However it was available in the lobby area where they also had several computers set up for free use. We needed a roll away bed and it was provided at no charge and parking was reasonable compared to surrounding hotels. I would highly recommend this hotel and if we visit again I would definitely stay there! Great job Marriott on this fantastic hotel and the wonderful staff!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel for your stay. We are pleased that your Renaissance experience with us met your expectations and we hope you will come back for another stay in the future. Your review will be shared with our staff members to commend them for their guest service.
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Great location with easy access to 395 and downtown DC. Close to Old Town Alexandria (15 mins) and lots of places to eat nearby. The hotel restaurant is very good - great concierge lounge and friendly staff. Whenever I travel to DC its my first choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Capital view and a high floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your loyalty and are thrilled that the Renaissance Arlington Capital View is your hotel of choice when you are in Crystal City. We look forward to your next stay with us.
birmingham alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

So here is the deal, I travel a fair amount and I was here for some training for a week, and the banquet staff literally is the best i've ever seen. When it comes to anticipating guests needs they are on top of it! BIG HUGE GINORMOUS THANKS TO TERRENCE in banquets, SUSHIL at the front desk and GABRIEL shuttle/fd they made my stay amazing! Room was clean, food was divine, and the guest services ?navigator? was very helpful to! Thanks for a great trip! I will leave photos later I haven't had time to put them on my cpu

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
We are delighted that you enjoyed the service at the Renaissance Arlington Capital View and took the time to share your experience with other Trip Advisor visitors. Thank you for highlighting members of our team. We will share your comments with them and the rest of the staff. It is always wonderful to receive positive reinforcement for a job well-done.
Cedar, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Let's get the negative out of the way. While I appreciated the free shuttle from Reagan to the hotel, it was 90+ degrees in DC and the shuttle didn't have *working* air conditioning. Not good...the last thing I wanted/expected after deplaning and having dragged my luggage out to the curb was to be crammed in a hot van with four other people. You only have one chance to make a first impression, and this was a bad one. Also, the shuttle had duct tape around the passenger seat, duct tape! Having never stayed at a Renaissance before, my opinion of the brand was dropping quickly. Seriously, the rest of the stay was great, unfortunately my trip will always have that 'but' in the experience.

Positives:
Good food, from the meeting/banquet meals and snacks to room service. The hotel also has a coffee shop attached to the lobby and of course a restaurant.
Good location, minutes from Reagan and walking distance to a shopping center and several streets with restaurants
Comfortable, clean rooms

Room Tip: My room on the 4th floor had a rock garden view, which included surprise workers weeding the rock ga...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review about our hotel. I apologize for the negative first impression you received when you boarded the Marriott Airport Shuttle. I can certainly understand your feelings and I want you to know that measures are being taken to correct the problems you mentioned. The comfort of our guests is extremely important to us, especially on very warm days.
Round Rock, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed at the Renaissance last week. From start to finish, the hotel seemed to miss just enough of the details to make the stay memorably negative.

First the good:
-This was my first time staying at a Renaissance hotel; the branding was positive, consistent, and engaging. Thursday nights this hotel has a live band in the lobby; a bustling lobby is great to see.
-Room size was great; nice, spacious rooms with floor-to-ceiling windows. My bathroom had a full tub; from what I heard from my peers, the King rooms have showers (I had 2 doubles).
-The fitness center was nicely appointed, and looked and smelled very clean.

Negatives:
-My bathroom had a dirty towel and dirty washcloth. The towel wasn't used, but looked like it had been used to shine a black shoe before getting laundered. A dirty (used) washcloth was hanging from the shower curtain rod upon arrival. Although the shower curtain is a very similar texture/color to the washcloths, this could have been caught.
-The shuttle driver was rude to guests; I got off with one other guest, who did not tip the driver. Upon learning that he wasn't getting his money, he said "pssh!" and walked away. In front of two guests. Really?
-There was an extra pillow for my bed...not to say I only wanted one pillow! Both beds had 4 pillows nicely appointed on the beds. But there was an errant pillow laying on the floor when I got into my room. It looked clean, but I didn't check too closely.
-When I checked in, the front desk agent remarked that I had requested all feather pillows--great, yes I did! When I got into the room, nothing had been done. Granted, I had the standard combination of 2 feather, 2 foam on each bed, but if you're going to go out of your way and let me know that you knew of my request, why didn't you fulfill it?
-The internet service was funky. I signed up for the "duration of your stay" service, which automatically bills your room daily; every time I opened my laptop, though, I would get directed to the Renaissance's "connect to the internet" page. A minor inconvenience, but nonetheless.

Would I stay here again? Maybe. But I think I'd give another hotel in the area a try first. I might stop by for the live music, though!

Room Tip: I was on the garden side; less of a view, but no noise from the trains that go by throughout the day...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
We are sorry to hear about your experience and apologize for the dirty linen you found in your guest room, the pillow request, and for the behavior displayed by the shuttle driver. We will address these issues with the appropriate departments in order to prevent them from happening in the future. The feedback we receive from Trip Advisor by guests who have stayed with us is very important to us and we take these comments seriously. Readers will be happy to know that we have taken measures to eliminate having to log on each time a guest needs to access internet service.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here last summer from 8/16 - 8/21. Overall it is a clean hotel, but we did have a few problems.
1. Wifi was not Free as we had been told
2. For an upscale hotel the pool was ice cold and very disapointing!
3. We never received our Robes as we requested
4. The business center was never available or working when we needed it.
5. The hotel is so modern we didn't feel comfortable even standing in the lobby.
6. They over charged us by two nights and it took forever to get a refund.

Just not impressed at all with this hotel. The rooms were nice but over priced and once again we received no breakfasts. We feel when you are paying so much for a room the least a hotel could do would be to put some donuts out or something.

• Stayed September 2011
Thank you for letting us know about the experience you had during a stay with us last summer and we apologize for missing details during your stay. The small details are very important to the Renaissance experience we strive to provide. We have taken great strides to maximize our guest service since we opened in March 2011 and I am sure if you were to stay with us again, you would agree. We are proud of our dedicated staff and of the teamwork they show to provide a seamless stay for our guests. It is my hope that you will reconsider and give us another try.

Been to Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel? Share your experiences!