“Gorgeous hotel, good location!” 5 of 5 stars

Save Up to 25% in No. VA
Ranked #7 of 47 hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Blacksburg, VA
“Gorgeous hotel, good location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

This is a great hotel. It is decorated with an ultra modern design. The lobby is gorgeous. The rooms are light and inviting. I found the parking a bit annoying, due to too many compact car slots near the elevator. Finding a parking place for my small SUV, but not compact, was difficult. I finally parked in a parallel parking slot and in doing so damaged my car due to an unmarked and unprotected vent that I didn't see. It was a small dent, but unforgettable. At any rate, the rest of my stay was quite enjoyable. The staff were accommodating and friendly. I didn't try the restaurant but it looked inviting. It's ratings are average to the area, but I can think of many less desirable restaurants nearby so this wouldn't be a bad choice to eat.

Room Tip: All the rooms appeared good. The hotel is located near National Airport, but I didn't notice any...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel's design features. The look and feel of our hotel is what we like to refer to as "Renaissance Chic". I apologize that parking in the underground garage presented some challenges for your stay. Your concerns have been duly noted and will be shared with our parking attendants so that we can better accommodate our guests. Perhaps you can come for another stay and discover what awaits you in our SOCCi restaurant. I think you would be pleased.

390 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Turkish first
Harrisburg, N.C.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I travel for a living. Most of the motels/hotels I stay in would be of an inferior quality to this one. I do stay in upper quality ones such as the Renassance many times. I booked through Priceline and got a pretty good deal for a two night stay. When we checked in all went well, and the desk person took my credit card for incidentals , which was fine. Three things we found out though, after checking in were a little surprising. First there is a 22.00 per night charge for parking. I didn't expect to park free perhaps, but this was kinda high, considering we were staying here at the inn. Second, Wi-Fi in the room was 12.95 per day. That was very shocking, as I've paid a few dollars a night at lesser motels, but all the nice ones I've been in give you this service free. Third, late in the evening I discovered my credit card had been hit for an additional $172.00. When I asked the manager on duty , he explained that it was policy. I told him I was questioning if it were policy, just that the policy was a scam. He explained that they did this in case I damaged the room. MY QUESTION WAS WHY NOT WAIT AND HIT MY CARD AFTER I DAMAGED THE ROOM, NOT IN ANTICIPATION OF IT. Obviously there is a very good explanation for the practice. I'm sure the majority of their guests would never think of damaging the room, as i certainly wouldn't either. Consider on a given night, you have 100 rooms rented, and your'e getting $75.00 per night to hold for three or four days. What a great slush fund accumulating interest all along. I guess the main thing that bugged me was there was never a mention of this happening when we checked in. That was poor in my estimation, and quite frankly I've never had it happen before. Pretty low. On a much brighter note, the shower in the room may well have been the best I've ever seen in a motel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
First of all, thank you for choosing the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel for your stay. We appreciate your loyalty to the Marriott brand. I also want to thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. Your feedback lets us know how we can better serve our guests. I apologize that you were not informed of the amount of the hold that would be placed on your credit card at check-in. I understand your frustration and would have felt the same way. A hold is placed on a valid card at check-in to cover any charges a guest may be liable for, whether it is parking fees, internet fees, in room dining charges, restaurant charges, telephone charges, etc. and not just for any possible damage to the room. This measure not only protects the hotel, but it also protects the guests from any embarrassment at check out if the card declines. However, I agree with you. You should have been informed how much the hold was going to be. Your comments will be shared with our management and staff to ensure that guests are made aware of this information at check-in. At no time does the hotel hold money on a guest's credit card to earn interest. Funds do not become available to the hotel until a credit card is actually charged.

I hope this sheds some light on the matter, but most importantly, I hope you will return for a future visit to the hotel. The showers are pretty cool!
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Business trip with colleagues. Great stay! The hotel is modern with great spaces for just relaxing. Self-parking at $22 was a little pricey, there is a cheaper option just down the street.

Room Tip: The city view rooms offer a view of the airport, it was neat watching the planes take off and land.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Come back and visit us soon.
MS Gulf coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

Spent 4 nights here on a business trip and was very happy with the room and service. Close to Reagan Natipnal airport for easy arrival and departure. Room service was excellent, arriving in morning at the requested time. Nice HD television with large variety of shows. Valet parking seemed expensive, but at $27 a night it might be the norm. Valet staff was always friendly and quick. Will definitely stay again if business takes me back to this area.

• Stayed June 2012
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you for your business. We look forward to your next visit.
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

This new hotel has the very best staff service of any place I've ever stayed in over 30 years of travelling!!! Incredible! They more than make up for the few deficiencies (no microwave in room, tiny pantry/shop, uncomfortable chairs in lobby). Whenever we needed assistance super helpful, friendly staff seemed to appear magically. One evening we were feeling ill from the day's activites in 94 degree temps and needed potassium. The pantry didn't contain much that would help. After letting staff know what we were looking for, we returned to the room where soon there was a knock on the door; the bellman was delivering two bananas!

The room was very clean, extremely comfortable, and super quiet. The air conditioner was also quiet even though we set it low at night. We were so pleased that the sounds from the airport and Metro could not be heard although the hotel is close enough that you can view their activity. The hotel achieved gold LEEDS certification; this includes free, convenient shuttle service to Metro stop.

I would definitely stay here again on next trip to D.C. area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
We are delighted that you chose our hotel for your stay. As you can see, our dedicated team of staff members are always looking for opportunities to help our guests feel comfortable in any way possible. Thank you for friendly review and think of us the next time you're in town.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I was visiting on business today but also visited before with my wife while on vacation last year. This Renaissance is semi connected to the Residence Inn next door. They both share the fitness center and pool. The pool is (a joke) in a small enclosed room and is of little value unless you have small kids. There is no hot tub/jaccuzi. But the rest of the fitness center is one of the best that I've seen at a hotel. The two hotels also share the same house keeping staff. The house keeping stations are located on each floor and they separate the hotels. With so much shared between the two hotels the decision point is really the conceirge lounge provided by the Renaissance. It is also one of the best I have experienced. It is on the top floor with a great view of Washington DC and Reagan National Airport. Little touches like providing baggies with ties so you can take along some nuts and M&Ms for your flight home put this one over the top. Being a Marriott Reward member with access to the lounge makes this the best choice for me. If I didn't have access to the lounge, I would probably stay at the Residence Inn to take advantage of their manager's receiption in the afternoon and free hot breakfast in the morning. Having said that, another factor that might keep me on the Rennaisance side would be the super comfy beds.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms offer a better view. Odd numbered rooms face the airport and Washington DC. Room...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for posting your review. We appreciate your loyalty as a Marriott Reward member and are delighted that you are taking advantage of the perks that come along with it.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

When I booked this hotel i was expecting to pay $16 for garage parking because I wasn't able to find a review of the street parking situation. Well, upon arrival, to my amazement, right before turning into the garage, I looked down the street and saw what appears to be an empty lot one block down from the Renaissance/Residence Inn complex. There in an abandoned lot with free street parking without meters, for a total of about 30 spots maybe. Give this a try before heading into the garage unless you have to park inside the garage.

The hotel is absolutely beautiful. It looks brand new and everything inside the rooms are top notch. The furniture is solid wood, the bathroom is beautifully appointed with Aveda products. The shower is spacious and the showerhead is powerful. Luckily, the doors are well built and water does not leak all over the place like some of the other newer hotels.

The gym is quite large with a good selection of bikes, ellipticals, free weights, and Precor machines. The pool is a joke and meant for kids so don't bother.

The lobby restaurant serves pretty good food. You can get a $9 personal pizza that can fill you up.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Ziggyziggy,
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel for your stay. I appreciate your review of our hotel and hope that your impression will warrant another visit with us in the future.

Been to Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel? Share your experiences!