“So much potential...” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
EastCoast, USA
“So much potential...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We got off to a rough start with this hotel… we booked it via a travel website and received confirmation for a non-smoking room with a king size bed. When we arrived, the staff at the front desk tried to put us in a room with two small beds instead of the king size we had reserved. After some discussion, in which we were told that because we hadn’t booked directly with the hotel, we were not guaranteed to get the room we reserved… they finally relented and agreed to give us a room with a king sized bed. This sort of behavior from the front desk staff is the type of thing that gives this beautiful hotel a reputation for poor service.
Once we made it through the check in process and made our way to our room, we were pleased to find a relatively new hotel that is beautifully decorated in the hallways and publice areas. And the room we had was gorgeous… very modern in regard to room decorations and very clean with a bed and pillows that were very comfortable. The bathroom was beautiful- a walk-in shower instead of the near ubiquitous tub/shower/shower curtain set up. I’m relatively tall, so for me, it was a very nice to have a walk-in shower instead of the normal cramped shower/tub combination.

However, we quickly discovered that there is no way to call the front desk… dialing 0 doesn’t get you the front desk and there is no autodial button on the phone that allows you to reach the front desk. Instead, there is an autodial button for Room Service and you have to call “room service” and have them transfer you to the front desk. Very odd and very inconvenient.

The lobby and the lobby bar are very nice and have a very modern feel. Pleasant if you like that sort of thing, not pleasant if you’re more of a B&B type of person. The lobby is ultra-modern and visually interesting, but it’s noisy, with a piped in muzak-hip-hop sound track blaring until late in the night. Depending on your situation, it could be seen as a good place to hang out. It was interesting if you like night club décor, but we didn’t stay for long. As the old saying goes, there wasn’t much there there and after a few minutes, the music became a bit annoying.

The parking situation at the hotel is a bit of a trap. In order to park, you have to use the hotel room “key card” to enter and exit the parking garage. For this privilege, you’ll pay around $22 per night for “self-park” and $27 + tip for valet parking. There is no parking on the street so you have no choice but to pay this additional fee if you drive to the hotel in your own vehicle or rental car.

The hotel is in Crystal City/Arlington, near to DC and Ronald Reagan airport... but to get to almost anything, you’ll need to drive or use the hotel shuttle. Even though you would think the hotel’s location is good when looking at a Google map, the location of the hotel is not great for being able to get to restaurants and other amenities, so plan on driving or arranging transportation for just about anything you might want to do. This is not a location that is convenient for walking.

And something you take for granted until it’s not there… there is no free breakfast at the hotel, not even something as simple as bagels or donuts. And the restaurant in the hotel is expensive, a bit slow and really not that good. All food prices seem inflated to ridiculous levels.

Also, internet access is not included in the cost of the room and you have to pay extra for “normal” internet access and even more for “fast” internet access (although another guest told me there were computers in the lobby that could be used to access the internet with no extra charge). If I recall correctly, the “normal” internet service was about $12 a night and the “fast” internet service was around $16 per night. It seems really strange for a hotel of this caliber to charge for wi-fi internet access… much less to have a two tier fee structure for internet access. I rely on wi-fi when I’m on the road, so this was a real annoyance.

To sum up, the interior of this hotel is very nice. And although I’ve read many complaints regarding the noise levels in this hotel, we had no problem at all. Maybe just a lucky break, but our room was very quiet and we got a good night’s sleep. True, the views are not good, and from what I could tell, they would not be good from any room, although the view from the upper floors might be preferable. But overall, a very nice hotel that needs to focus as much on customer service as it has on appearance.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

400 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Turkish first
Northern Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Enjoyed this hotel with family on quick tour of Washington D.C. area pre-Cherry Blossom Festival, March 2012. The breakfast add-on was fabulous idea-- best breakfast deal going...5 star start to the day. Location was fine. Hotel Shuttle van was adequate. Friendly staff. Close to 23rd Street, so plenty of dining options. We got a great rate, so first D.C. experience was fantastic thanks to this hotel option.

Room Tip: View of capitol nice...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012 via mobile

Travelling on business this hotel was selected for me by an assistant. She will get a raise! I was very impressed from the shuttle ride to the hotel, beautiful lobby, excellent location in Crystal City, extremely comfortable room, and friendly service. This is not the typical airport hotel. Beautiful and quiet. I am very glad I was put in this fine hotel. The club lounge on 14 is a very nice touch. A shuttle will get one to and from the airport or the Crystal City Metro. Tiffany Tipton is a friendly employee who went out of her way to make my visit pleasant. Only gripe--charging for Internet when paying a premium room price

• Stayed April 2012
North Shore, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I recently spent three pleasant nights at the very new and very modern Renaissance Capitol View while attending a conference at the hotel.

My room was of good size with a king bed (terrific firm mattress!) with nightstands on each side, lounge chair, tiny end table, desk, desk chair (very comfortable), small refrigerator (not a mini-bar type), and large-screen TV. There were good reading lights on each side of the bed and good lighting throughout the room. Electrical outlets were plentiful and easy to reach. The decor was trendy, but not especially warm or welcoming by my taste. WiFi, included with conference registration, worked well in both my room and the conference facilities.

The bathroom was clean with fixtures in good working order. Counter space was more than adequate. There was no tub, but the large, glass-enclosed shower was fantastic with a flower showerhead, plenty of hot water, and great water pressure. Another trendy, but hard to fathom, feature was the bathroom door itself! It was an opaque glass sliding door (like a pocket-door, but without the pocket; it slid along the hall wall). There was more than enough room for a regular hinged door and the glass didn’t really allow any natural light into the bathroom so I don’t know what the point was except to wow (it didn’t).

My 5th floor room faced Washington, but my only view was of National Airport. I didn’t hear planes, however, but I sometimes heard trains roaring by on the tracks near the hotel. I could also hear people talking in the hallway though this never disturbed my sleep.

The lobby set-up was unusual with only a tiny registration desk--apparently another part of the “modern” approach. It was a little hard to know where to go / whom to ask, but staff seemed to be roaming the lobby and someone always came over to help me and did so with a smile.

The hotel shares shuttles to the airport and to the Crystal City Metro stop with other nearby Marriott properties. I used the airport shuttle, which was very handy. I had no time to use the Metro, but from prior stays in the area, I know a 15-minute walk is a good alternative to using the shuttle on a nice day.

With a location among office buildings and other hotels, the area surrounding the hotel is a bit sterile. However, there are many restaurants and some shops, including a CVS Pharmacy, within a 15 to 20 minute walk. A new Residence Inn is attached to this hotel (apparently some facilities such as the fitness center are shared though I didn’t visit any) and a Marriott Courtyard and a Hyatt are almost next door; for a conference at one hotel, a sleeping room in any of the others will be convenient.

Though I said above that the room had good lighting, I do have one minor complaint about it. Most of the fixtures used slow-to-brighten CFL bulbs, which is terrific for the environment and fine for the lights in the room itself but not so good in the entry hallway. Upon entering the room and flipping the switch, the hall lighting remained pretty dim for a while (minutes, not seconds) making it difficult to find another switch in the room. This was less of a problem once I learned where the switches were located (in my room at least, there was a switch in the coffee machine alcove just beyond the hall closet), but I really dislike entering a dark room.

In sum, this is a fine hotel. I chuckled at its trendy features, but they did not detract from the very functional, comfortable rooms and excellent service--they just made me feel not so hip and so very old!

Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

My family stayed here for two nights recently. The hotel is very nice. It has a very hip, modern feel. A wide mix of individuals and families were staying here. The shuttle is a very convenient way to get to the Metro. Our room was fabulous - nice city view where we could watch the airplanes take off and land from Ronald Reagan airport. The staff is nice as well. We reserved the Cherry Blossom package - a great deal including Internet and Breakfast. We had to remind the staff of these promised features as no one explained how to access the internet or what we needed to do for breakfast. Overall, a nice stay! I would stay here again. No noise issues.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Greensboro, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Easily accessible to DC and conveniently located near Ronald Reagan airport in Crystal City, the hotel has a sleek, modern feel. The lobby has a variety of newspapers available and computers to access boarding passes. The lobby bar is nice - prosecco, yum! The building is LEED gold certified - leaving one feeling virtuous for staying at an environmentally friendly location. Nonetheless, nothing felt as if it was skimping on energy - for example, even though many hotels have taken away in-room refrigerators, this hotel still has them. Bathrooms come equipped with only a shower -- no tub -- but all the better for the glass doors (no swaying shower curtains) and large size. Comfortable beds with all-white duvets and lots of pillows. Large windows in the rooms to allow ambient light to dominate.

The outdoor, rooftop seating (second floor?) was great. After an evening gala, my group retired to some of the outdoor seating and enjoyed a comfortable chat under the stars. The indoor pool is heated and smallish.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012 via mobile

Brought the family, 4 of us. Room wasn't available when we showed after 2pm. Bell hop stated our luggage would be placed in our room while we toured the area. Upon return (8pm) we checked in giving the Bell our ticket #. Luggage was not together and not in the room. Took many attempts to locate our belongings as they were removed from the luggage cart they were put upon. Requested & received 2 beds, only two bath towels were in the room, had to request more for four people. Would have to rethink about staying again with the family.

• Stayed April 2012

Been to Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel? Share your experiences!