“New, Friendly Option outside of DC - definitively lacking privacy in bathrooms!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel

Ranked #7 of 47 hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

A NEW Marriott near DC! One that doesn't look/feel like it has been around since the Cold War, or worse - the Civil War. This hotel opened in early 2011, and still has that new car smell.

If you are in town for DC, the location is meh. The hotel is in Arlington, about 10 blocks from the Crystal City Metro station. The hotel does a nice job of compensating for this, by regularly running shuttles, both to the metro station (every 20 minutes), and to Reagan (not sure how often, though). However, you don't pay downtown DC prices, and the hotel is nicer/newer than anything you're likely to find there - so there are tradeoffs.

The rooms are new, reasonably large and comfortable. Internet is available wirelessly in common areas, and wired in rooms. Two speeds are available; this was new to me. Fast was $12ish/night, very fast was $16ish/ night. It still bothers me that hotels charge for internet; and this only seems to make it worse. Now there are TIERS? Sheesh! There is a fridge and a safe in the room. The opaque-glass sliding bathroom door, which has a overly-thought-out latch which doesn't work, must make it interesting if you are staying in a room with company. For certain, you will be 'closer' with those whom you stay with than you were before! However, in my case -staying alone - it made no difference.

Staff are friendly and helpful - but not perfect. I lost an ipod cord, and when I asked at the front desk, I was told they would check and leave a message for me. I'm still waiting for that call. *sigh* Oh, if I could only charge my IPhone again!

The restaurant/bar on the 1st floor is an open floor plan, as you enter. Food and service were very good; prices are on-par.

I didn't have a chance to get to the gym or pool on the 3rd floor, as I was only here for 2 nights (I always seem to find an excuse not to make the gym!), but the concierge on the 14th (top) floor is outstanding, for you Marriott Gold/Platinum members.

All-in-all, I would gladly stay here again. However, given my proclivity to laziness, I'd probably check for downtown DC prices first...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

400 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Spent 2 nts with husband w/e of 9/16-18. New, clean, very hip & chic hotel. Kind of at the end of the hotel area in Crystal City, VA, about 5 mins from DCA. Fabulous shower and bathroom. Only complaint, they should let you know there is a safe in the room, it is hidden in the bottom drawer of the dresser (the rest of the dresser consists of shelves, so I never bothered to unpack my clothes). The night stands are a little ackward because they cascade out. I discovered when we were leaving that the bottom is a drawer. If you can get used to the funkiness of the room style it is a very enjoyable stay.

ps Had a room facing the airport, but never heard the planes. Did hear the trains occasionally, but no big deal.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

Wow. This hotel is first-rate. From the emails I received from the front desk with detailed instructions on catching the shuttle to the warm welcome at the stunning lobby, I was blown away with my initial impression. The lobby is modern, open, and inviting. There is a computer center with modern Apple iMac computers. The bar is great and even has a happy hour with good prices. The room was very nice with modern, comfortable furniture and a spacious, full-glass shower. The fitness room was one of, if not the, largest I have seen in a hotel. There were several elliptical machines, several treadmills, a couple of bikes, and several pieces of weight equipment, including dumbbells and free weights. Right outside the fitness center, there is even a terrace with seating to hang out on the 3d floor roof. I was initially worried about the location, as this is .75 miles from the Crystal City Metro stop. However, there are regular shuttles running to both the Metro stop and Reagan National, so transportation was just fine. Also, there are plenty of restaurants and bars within 10 minutes of walking. My only complaint was NO FREE INTERNET, something I will never understand in some hotels. Otherwise, I was completely impressed with this hotel and just booked it for a return trip to D.C. This is the best Marriott and one of the nicest hotels (all around) I have stayed in.

Room Tip: Request a capital view. My view of the terrace wasn't very good.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Brand new hotel with a view of the Potomac and the capital dome. Across the street is a bike trail that can take you to the capital and the hotel has bikes to rent on the property. The interior of the hotel ROCKS! It is very chic, hip, fun with great modern design throughout. I was on a Club Level floor and everything was in the room was excellent shape. While it is true this hotel is not surrounded by restaurants--it is the only thing you can reasonably complain about. The hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful. I stayed two nights, I was leading a 2-day training event and the banquet staff were all very helpful and responsive.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Beautiful, modern hotel. Very clean. LOVE the shower. Complimentary shuttles to/from the airport, Metro, and nearby restaurants that run very regularly. Free Wi-Fi in the lobby. Be sure to eat at the nearby Spanish tapas restaurant, Jaleo. It's delicious!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My mother and I stayed here for 3 nights while visiting my daughter, who lives in Pentagon City. We were wowed from the moment we walked into the super uber cool lobby!

Our room was on the 12th floor with a great view overlooking the airport (didn't have any airplane noise), the Potomac and the Washington Monument off in the distance. The room was nicely decorated in orange and grey and there was a refrigerator, one-cup coffee maker, marble bathroom with undermounted sink, flat screen TV, Ipod radio, desk with chair, as well as a chair with side table by the large window. I really enjoyed cappucinos and almond croissants in the Illy coffee shop, which I found to be reasonably priced. Also, one morning we had breakfast in the restaurant which was delicious. Don't miss out the lobby bathroom-it has lit-up counters and the water faucets lights up. The whole lobby is a great place to hang out and they play electronica that makes it feel like a trendy club. The computers are conveniently located in the lobby. We did not use the pool or fitness area but did look at them and they were nice, although the pool is a bit small for two hotels to share.

We were able to walk very easily to the Crystal City shops and restaurants, and used the shuttle to the Crystal City Metro. It is a quiet area in the evening but very easy to get to downtown DC on the metro and if you return after 11 PM when the shuttle stops, you can catch a taxi from the shuttle stop to the hotel for about $7. In the Crystal City area, we enjoyed a nice lunch at McCormick and Schmicks and dinner at Jaleo (great tapas and sangria). The staff were all so helpful and very friendly. One day we drove to Alexandria and the front desk staff gave me maps and several pamphlets.

I loved this hotel and look forward to staying there when I return to Arlington! Last month I stayed at Hotel Palomar in Arlington and liked the Renaissance much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and view of DC
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

My wife and I spent one night here in June, and trust me, we will be back. We loved the modern designs, the impressive styling in the room and bathroom, the plush bed, and the late night snacks offered at the front desk.

If you're looking for a romanitc place to stay in D.C. that will definitely NOT break the bank (I think it was about $109/night for a king room), this is the place for you.

It was also very close to the airport and had a very convenient shuttle that ran very early (we caught a flight from Reagan the next morning).

We did not get a chance to eat at the restaurant because of our early departure. Nevertheless, here's the bottom line: Very impressive hotel!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel? Share your experiences!