“Modern new hotel in Crystal City” 5 of 5 stars

Save up to 15% off
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Durham, North Carolina
“Modern new hotel in Crystal City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

My daughter and I enjoyed a fabulous "girls weekend" in D.C. at the new Renaissance Capital View. The hotel itself is very modern, not my taste, but the theming is carried out very well. The room was spacious and included a decent-sized mini fridge. Bathroom was standard-sized and had a great rain forest showerhead -- terrific water pressure. Everything was spotless, as to be expected in a brand new hotel. The pool is small but perfectly adequate for kids. The only down side was the small area around the pool ... only two chair and one small table, which made it difficult to find some place to put our stuff. There is a nice terrace outside. As one other reviewer pointed out, they are still working out some of the details (we called down for room service, and they were already out of one of the four desserts offered), but staff were exceptionally friendly. Only disappointment was the view from our room, overlooking two office buildings. For the intro price it was fine, but it would have been special (and a great marketing move) to have been given a room with a view, especially since the hotel appeared to be fairly empty in only its second week.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

As I arrived, you could see a beautiful lobby area with the whimsical design Renaissance hotels are known for. The design throughout the hotel was in this motif and it is the best looking in terms of hotel interiors in the area.

I stayed at this hotel just 5 days after it first opened both taxi and super shuttle drivers were unaware that it existed. I was glad to have a printout of my reservation showing the address to prove to drivers that I had the right address. Even then, they kept trying to convince me I was really going to some other hotel.

In terms of location, the hotel is very near the Marriott Courtyard Crystal City and the Hyatt Regency Crystal City and is slightly closer to Reagan National Airport than either of those two. There is also a brand new Residence Inn by Marriott that occupies the other half of the building.

The room had their themed decor style and was quite comfortable (I am attaching pictures, but my iphone pics aren't as good as some others my be able to take) with good bedding and the towels were particularly nice. I had no technical issues and a very comfortable stay, but a lady who was getting a cab when I was told me she had trouble getting the water hot.

The staff was friendly and eagar to be helpful. With such a new hotel, their polish is a work in progress, but I think they are off to a promising start and I would stay at this hotel in the future.

The concierge lounge was beautiful looking and had a very nice tiny dessert selection beginning at 7:30, for those guests who have access to the lounge. I came at 7:45 and the attendant was quite helpful and offered to make me a crudite plate since I had just missed the earlier h'or doervres. Breakfast there started at 6:30 and was laid out nicely, but the selections were not as extensive as I hoped.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

This hotel has been opened 3 days ago so our room has never been used ever. It smells the brand new carpet ! We had an incredible price : 110$ for a double bed, I suppose this is a launch price. Absolutely quiet even if you can see the planes taking off by the window.
For our teenagers the pools was very nice, it is not a big pool but enough to relax after museums. The fitness room is so big you think it is a fitness center!
Staff was absolutely very nice, they really try to do their best to help you.
To visit museum, just park the car in the parking (23$/day) and use the Renaissance shuttle, it runs every 15mn, very easy. You can take the Blue or the Yellow line.
The breakfast is expensive 110$ for 6 person in the buffet. Maybe the Illy bar could be a good solution (not tried).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel? Share your experiences!