“Great gym!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Delaware
“Great gym!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed at this Residence Inn when our plans changed suddenly and we couldn't find any room at the Inn by the Pentagon. The hotel overall was clean and very pleasantly decorated. Every member of the staff was friendly. The gym was huge for a hotel facility and well-maintained. There was always equipment available even at peak times. The equimpment included free-weights, stationary bikes, treadmills, elipticals, machines and even a couple of choices for pull-up bars (often missing from these gyms). The pool was small but no one was using it so our 7 year old and his friend had the place to themselves. There is a large outdoor patio adjacent to the pool which was lovely. There are a multitude of different types of restaurants within a couple of blocks. The included breakfast was standard, but standard for the Residence Inn is quite good with a variety of options to please everyone. The metro is a bit of a hike (about a mile walking) but they do have a shuttle bus that leaves every 20 minutes. Although we did not take advantage of this, I noted that you could have groceries ordered and delivered to your refrigerator and even meals. There are some weekday options for dinner included in the price of your stay as well. Only issue was in locating a dolly when trying to check-out... all were gone and could not be located, so I guess the answer there is plan ahead and grab one early??

Room Tip: We chose to stay on the 3d floor across from the gym, pool and laudry area. In spite of the train r...
Green Features: Option to reuse the towels and clear effort to recycle materials, including recyclable plates and plastic ware at breakfast (although the staff seemed a little unsure about which container was appropriate for the given materials).
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jerry C, General Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Capital View, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
We are glad you had an opportunity to come check us out! We have a lot to offer to guests at our beautiful hotel and from the comments regarding the Fitness Center, our amenities top the list. Thank you for submitting your review and we would love to have you visit us again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We waited 45 minutes for the shuttle from Reagan National Airport for our 1 mile ride to the hotel (could have/should have walked). Got caught in a "shift change" with the drivers. The shuttles service a number of Marriott branded hotels in Crystal City and there is a "north loop" and "south loop". This hotel is on the south loop. The hotel itself is very nice. Brand new when we stayed. It's on the south end of the Crystal City "strip" but still a short walk to the "action" (if that's what you want to call it in CC!) and Metro stop. Very well appointed rooms. One weird thing, the typical "Managers Cocktail Hour", which was advertised was nowhere to be found. Free breakfast was fine. For dinner try Socci next door at the Renaissance Hotel (not advertised but you can charge it to your room at the RI). See my separate review of the restaurant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay at the Residence Inn Arlington Capital View Hotel. I sincerely apologize for the shuttle delay from the Reagan National Airport and we will address this issue with our shuttle staff in order to provide better and consistent service for guests arriving at the hotel. The Manager Cocktail Reception takes place Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 6 PM to 7:30 PM, excluding holidays, at the Gatehouse located on the far side of the hotel lobby. Perhaps you will be able to join us on your next visit!
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This hotel was one of the nicest Marriott Hotels we have stayed in; spent 4 nights there last week. Shuttle from airport to hotel was right on time. They also have shuttles to the Crystal City Metro and shops. Hotel is very clean and well maintained. Breakfast buffet was substantial, with a nice variety. Staff was very helpful. Hotel will exceed your expectations!

We took the 9A public bus to Alexandria, one block from hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floor with a capitol view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay. Meeting our guests expectations is our number one goal! We appreciate you're letting other TripAdvisor users know that we are achieving this goal and that you would recommend our hotel when they are in the DC area.
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed just one night before my scheduled departure. I drove my rental car to the hotel, checked in, took my bags upstairs (they let me just park outside of the hotel for a few minutes), and returned the rental car thus avoiding the $24 parking fee. The shuttle service from the airport was a very short wait. Later on, the shuttle to the Metro from the hotel was no more than a 3 minute wait.
The check-in process was easy and when I asked if I could have more of a view of the city, I was given a corner room on one of the higher floors. The young woman who checked me in was friendly and a pleasure.
The room was clean, felt like new, and very spacious. The kitchen area was fully stocked with all one would need for easy, light cooking. Loved the one bag of microwave popcorn with the coffee amenities. The little market downstairs also had a decent variety of snacks, microwave foods, etc.
It is a bit isolated, all in all, but with the shuttle service you can get dropped off at several locations for dining out, shopping, Metro, etc.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Jerry C, General Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Capital View, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
We are in a great location for travelers who wish to be close to the Reagan National airport. As you indicated, we offer well-appointed, clean rooms and friendly guest service...details that make our guests comfortable during their stay. Perhaps you will be able to stay with us a little longer the next time and explore the rest of the hotel and the local area. Thank you for your business and for taking the time to let other travelers know about our hotel.
Glenside, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Spent two nights at the Residence Inn, primarily because it was a block from where I was meeting with fellow managers from around the country. Not sure what I expected but what I found certainly exceeded my expectations. Could not have been a better stay. Staff at check in and out were very efficient, friendly and accommodating. Although I was not able to take advantage of the hotel's hospitality, I was offered free hot breakfast that looked quite good and a free cocktail hour including two beers or wine and food of some sort (Italian night). The fitness center which appears to be shared with the Renaissance Inn (located immediately next door) was amazing -- good number and variety of well maintained cardio options, weights, pool, etc. The room was actually a suite -- well designed,immaculate and quiet. Good restaurant options located in the vicinity. Shuttle to and from Crystal City metro stop.

Green Features: would have liked to have had a recycle bin in the room but perhaps they separate trash after collection
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jerry C, General Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Capital View, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Exceeding our guest's expectations is our goal at the Residence Inn Arlington Capital View. Thank you for choosing us for your stay in Crystal City. I certainly hope you'll be back soon!
Ocean, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Had a lovely stay at this fairly new Residence Inn property - the staff made it great though because they were nice, down to earth, and helpful. Breakfast was very good and the hotel gym facilities were way above expectation!

Room Tip: stroll next door to the sister hotel for a cute bar; Starbucks is just down the road or there's...
Green Features: LEED hotel - enough said :) the hotel seemed to be recycle friendly.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Jerry C, General Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Capital View, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for your patronage at the Residence Inn Arlington Capital View and thank you for the many wonderful comments about our hotel. Please recommend us to family and friends. We would love an opportunity to show them our hospitality, too.
Sherman Oaks, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I'll admit, I'm not really a "Residence Inn" kinda gal. But we were planning to visit family in the Arlington area for several nights, and wanted our son to have his own "room"...and this hotel fit the bill.

Before arrival, I called the hotel to request a room with a view of the airport and train tracks. I know, that sounds kind crazy, right? Not when you have a 5-year-old who's obsessed with trains! I was told by the staff member that the 8th floor corner room would be ideal, and that she was blocking it out for us so that nobody else could take it. Great! I called again on the day of arrival to let the hotel know we'd be coming in late in the evening, and that we were looking forward to the room that was blocked for us. However, we were then told that the 8th floor room was no longer available. We were told that we could have the 7th floor instead, still with a wonderful "train view".

When we arrived late that night, we went up to our 7th floor corner room. The room was very clean and new looking, and the layout and view were great. However, the cigarette smoke smell was overwhelming, and there was no way we could stay in there. The front desk staff member did not seem sympathetic (annoyed more than anything else), and told us that there were no other train view rooms available. We moved to the 10th floor, with a hysterical 5 year old (he wanted trains) and no corner room (terrible layout in the non-corner room).

We asked to have the sofa bed made up. They sent a staff member who brought 2 sheets with him. He asked if I wanted to make up the bed, and I said no thanks...he should do it. He started to lay the sheet on top of the couch. I told him that we wanted it made up like a bed, not a couch. He had no idea what I was talking about...no idea at all that the sofa opened up into a bed! I called to get him some help. They sent up security and engineering, and they figured out how to make up the bed. It was comical.

I was convinced that we would switch hotels the next day.

The next morning, I called and spoke with a great staff member named Shawnic. Unlike the staff the previous night, Shawnic was very sympathetic and sorry to hear about our problems. She said that we could be moved to the 6th floor corner room, and that she comp breakfast for us at the Renaissance next door (we had missed the free breakfast because of time zone issues). The new room was fantastic. The corner room layout was 1000 times better than the other room...so much more spacious. My son loved the view...he thought it was the best hotel ever! Once we were moved, we were really happy in this hotel. Shawnic really saved the day for us.

The free breakfast was what you would expect, and the staff working there were very friendly. It was not crowded, and there was something for everyone.

I would highly recommend this hotel, but if you have more than 1 (or two?) people in the room, I'd suggest a corner.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have the best layout and much more space. However, if you are a light sleeper, you migh...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Whenever our guests request a room type, it is always in our best interest (along with that of our guests) to do everything we can to honor the request. We truly want our guests to enjoy their stay so they will keep coming back! I can certainly understand your frustration and disappointment when a suitable room with a particular view was not readily available to you upon check-in. Your son must have been so sad!! What a damper to a stay that was anticipated so much! Your feedback is being taken seriously and the many issues that were addressed will be discussed at length with our managment and staff. We have worked hard to receive the reputation of being a clean hotel with a friendly and helpful staff, so when we are made aware of a service failure such as you described, rest assured that measures will be taken to retrain our staff in order to meet the expectations of our future guests. I am happy to hear that everything worked out in the end and that you would recommend our hotel to others, but I hope you will accept my sincerest apology for the inconveniences caused during your stay. I do hope we will see you again soon.

Been to Residence Inn Arlington Capital View? Share your experiences!