“Good menu, disappointing food” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Russian, Eastern European
Good for: Romance, Doing business
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Located at even distances from Courthouse and Rosslyn Metro Stations. Closest metro stations: Courthouse Metro Station if traveling on Orange Line from Vienna or Rosslyn Metro Station if traveling on Blue/Orange Lines from Washington D.C. or Blue Line from Franconia-Springfield.
Fairfax, Virginia
“Good menu, disappointing food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Our friends and we should be good judges of Russian and Central Asian food. We met when we were all living in Kiev, and our friends have also lived in Uzbekistan. One big plus in Café Assorti’s favor is that it seems perfectly authentic, but that is also perhaps its downfall. For example, we often saw “vitamin salad” on Ukrainian menus, and certainly one cannot otherwise get typically Central Asian dishes like plov seasoned rice casserole, manti dumplings, or cheburek meat pastry. One can also order borscht (originally of Ukrainian origin), pirozhki meat pastries, Ukrainian pelmeni dumplings, Russian vareniki dumplings, and Russian blini filled crepes. In addition to the “Greek salad” often found on Slavic menus, the addition of Bulgarian shopska salad would have been the perfect touch.

While borscht is ubiquitous in Ukraine, however, its quality varies widely. While always of a red color, either from the presence of beets or tomatoes, and containing cabbage, the broth can be rich and satisfying or thin and meager. Either version, of course, is authentically Ukrainian. Unfortunately, the Café Assorti borscht was on the not-so-tasty side, but it did come with sour cream (smetana) on the side, just like in Ukraine. My plov also seemed overcooked and rather tasteless. My daughter, however, did like her golubtsi stuffed cabbage. The pricing of small, side dishes also seemed very Slavic, since they seemed expensive for the quantity. I shared the borscht with my daughter, since I thought I would get a generous serving for $6.25, but it came in an average-sized soup bowl. And, just like in Ukrainian restaurants, the main courses were meat and a starch. One has to order a side dish of mixed vegetables for $5.80 to complete the course. My glass of wine, while generous, also cost $10. The bill for my wife, daughter, and me came to just over $70.

Our party of six had the restaurant almost to ourselves, since we were there on a Sunday when the Redskins were playing the Seattle Seahawks for a chance to get to the Super Bowl, so service was not a problem. I would give Café Assorti another try, because I suspect the meat pastries are the restaurants forte. And I’m curious about the manti.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Fairfax Station, Virginia
“Russian Grandeur!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Brunch for six could have not been more pleasant at the Cafe Assorti. We arrived in time (12 noon) for the savory pastries that are the staple of the luncheon menu. We also enjoyed their sweet pastries, notably the cheese tarts and cherry tarts that are highlights of the breakfast menu. The endless cups of coffee made us feel right at home. The Cafe Assorti is a favorite of the local Russian community and they all made us feel at home. Can't wait to return on another Sunday for brunch!

Visited October 2012
Arlington, Virginia
“So so”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Since I have lived in Ukraine, I was eager to try this place. However I found it disappointing. While the menu has good variety, the portions were on the small size. I had the golubci and it did not come with any kind of side, not even bread. Since this place is not cheap, I would suggest having dishes that are more of a meal than an a la carte type experience. The server was nice but the place was not busy at the time yet we still had to go up to the register to get our check. The server was busy talking to a friend outside.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Kazakh & Russian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We had a great party they hosted for our large group. The food was wonderful and the staff friendly.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Garner, North Carolina
“Great find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We had great service and a great meal at Cafe Assorti. The portion size was adequate and the food was very flavorful. We would definitely stop by and eat here again.

• Visited July 2012