“Great hotel, staff, and perfect location!” 5 of 5 stars

Bed and Breakfast Deal
Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Kentucky
“Great hotel, staff, and perfect location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

I was booked into this hotel because the usual Hilton hotel was booked for my business trip. What a great thing! This hotel is located in a trendy and safe neighborhood "village" (Village of Shirlington) and is absolutely fabulous! Wonderful and helpful staff. Very, very clean. Comfortable beds and pillows. Large rooms with upgrades. There is a small rooftop terrace on the 6th floor that has outdoor furniture. Warm, fresh-baked cookies in the evening at the front desk. There is a complimentary shuttle van to/from metro station, Reagan airport and other major locations within 3 miles or less. Both van drivers were excellent and professional (Mr. "K", didn't get his last name was WONDERFUL!). The neighborhood is trendy and safe. Harriett Teeter grocery directly across the street, Johnny Rocket restaurant, movie theater, coffee shops, library. Many little shops, boutiques, and restaurants you can walk to easily within this village. I would recommend this hotel to everyone I know visiting in or around DC.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Madison
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

The staff did everything they could to make our stay the best it could be. The rooms were large and clean. The rooftop terrace, a hidden gem, was a nice escape. The free shuttle to the metro meant we did not have to move our car from the parking garage once. The full service grocery store across the street, the wonderful restaurants, theatres, and even a library were convenient. The whirlpool and workout facility was nice, but the pool was too small to be of any use. Fruit during the day and fresh-baked cookies at night were offered at the desk.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

My wife and I stayed here when we went to DC recently. For about $100 a night, it was a great bargain when compared to staying in the city for at least double the cost. We visited in April 2010, the hotel opened in December 2009, so the hotel was very clean.

The good:
Free garage parking about a hundred yards away. Parking did get a bit tight at night, but we were able to find a spot both nights we stayed.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful during every interaction.

We had a corner room, which was very nice. The TV seemed a little small for the room. The 6th floor had some rooftop terraces open to all guests. One of them was right outside one of our windows. We didn’t have any issues, but I could see that being a problem for some people.

Room service prices were extremely reasonable (Less than $15 for chicken parm). Room service food was adequate. Nothing too great, but very reasonably priced when compared with other hotels.

Location is great. It’s in a very quiet 'trendy' neighborhood. There are plenty of restaurants on the street within walking distance. We only had time to eat at Johnny Rockets, but the others looked great for longer, sit down meals. There was also a performance theater and a movie theater right around the corner.

The hotel is about a 5-10 minute drive from the Pentagon City metro station. They offer a free shuttle service. We were told it ran on a schedule during the week, weekends was request. We didn't use the shuttle, because we wanted to be on our own time, but it was certainly a good option. All said, total travel time from hotel to Smithsonian station is 30-45 minutes. Not bad at all.

The not so good:
No major issues with the hotel, just a couple annoyances:

I say 'annoyingly' green, because they limit the temperature in the room to a minimum 67 degrees. We (like many) like our hotels cold when we sleep. I called the front desk and they indicated they could not override this.

Water pressure in the shower was a little weak.

The pool and hottub were not working while we stayed, but they were offering free transportation to another location for those services.

Overall, we were very happy and would certainly consider staying here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

I stayed here because the hotel I normally stayed at was full. What a find! The hotel is located in this nice village area with great restaurants within walking distance. The hotel has a shuttle that takes you to the metro, although scheduling it was a little difficult. The rooms were nice, breakfast was okay, but the front office manager Lyndsey was incredible. She made sure that I had everything I needed, was very attentive when I brought my problems to her attention, and was very quick to correct them. Her customer service changed my stay from an average stay at a hotel and gave it a nice homey feeling. I will now stay at this property each time I come to Arlington because of her.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Bel Air, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

I was able to find a decent rate during the last weekend of the Cherry Blossom Festival. For some reason, my GPS had us going away from the hotel and we ended up driving circles around Arlington. We called the hotel for directions and they were very helpful and pretty knowledgeable of the area. Upon check-in, the staff was very friendly and they even had cookies at the front desk. The parking garage was free (which was great) Just make sure you check-in prior to parking so they can give you a parking pass. We found a couple of pills on the floor that the previous occupant dropped, but other than that, the room and bathroom was clean. The spare towels were kept on a shelf in the shower, which I thought was kinda weird.

The location was great (in the Village at Shirlington). There were so many places to eat within walking distance and there's a Harris Teeter next door for groceries. I'm not sure if' there's a courtesy shuttle or anything to the Metro station, we just drove oursleves.

My only complaint: the A/C seemed cut off at around 10pm and turned back on at 6am. This made sleeping a little uncomfortable. We were too tired at that point to tell the front desk, so we just dealt with it.

We only stayed for a night, but would stay again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Memphis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

The staff at hotel very nice. Great free shuttle to D C Metro. This was an extremely new looking neighborhood, felt totally safe. Several restaurants to choose from. Even has an upscale grocery store on the corner where you could also walk to and pick up anything you may need. Even deli items, salads and some hot soups etc. We were very well pleased with the area. Very relaxing and unhurried after spending the days in D C with all the rush and hurry of the city. Extremly great choice we were very pleased with. OOps almost forgot they had free warm cookies every every evening.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

The HGI located in Shirlington Village was perfect for my needs. I found the hotel through hotels.com and got a great rate for the area. The proximity to DC is great, and only a few miles from various Metro stations if you'd prefer not to drive into DC. The room was more than adequate (King Evolution room). The bathroom was on the smaller side of most newer hotels, but I'm not a large person. Flat screen tv, in-room fridge and microwave were handy. The room service was a lifesaver, and surprisingly not as expensive as I would have thought. Free parking and free Wi-fi in the room were fantastic perks. Highly recommended for solo or family trips.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Arlington/Shirlington? Share your experiences!