“Bad dining experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Springfield, Virginia
“Bad dining experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We actually did not stay at the hotel but from the lobby the hotel looked very nice. My comments have to do with The Great American Restaurant in the hotel. Very slow service and awful food. We were 7 in our group dining Saturday, June 1st, before going down the block to the theater. We chose this restaurant because of our prior positive experiences with the Hilton brand. We had many other restaurants in the Shirlington area from which to choose.

Only 2 of us was satisfied with our dinner & even that was with very mild enthusiasm. Those of us who had the dinner steak salad and asked that the steak be cooked medium rare could barely chew the overdone chunks on our plate. One friend who ordered a simple burger said it was like shoe leather and another friend who ordered a pork and beef ragout said a form of, "Eh." The restaurant personnel certainly weren't overworked or busy as we were the only diners in the restaurant at 5:00 PM.

To our server's credit, she offered different dishes or dessert to those of us who were displeased with our meals, but because the kitchen was so slow even though we allowed 2 hrs. for dinner, there was no time for making restitution. Unfortunately, although we were hoping the restaurant would be great since it is so convenient to our local theater, we will not be back.

The restaurant needs a restaurant manager on duty who cares about safeguarding the Hilton reputation. They also need a new chef and a revamping of a rather lackluster menu. We felt very bad for our server who tried to make this a pleasant experience.​

Room Tip: I have no opinion on the rooms since we were only there for dining.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Richmond, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Overall this was a nice and clean hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful and they greeted me every time I walked pass the front desk whether I was leaving or returning. The only thing I do not like about this hotel is the parking. You have to park in a parking deck that is shared with residents in the area. Level 4 is designated to hotel guests however, it is not enough parking. If all of the space are full then you have to park on another level and run the risk of possibly being towed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I'm a frequest business traveler and probably spent 100 nights in a hotel yearly. Of those 100 nights, about 40 are spent at the Hilton Garden Inn in Shirlington. Coincidentally, I spend a total of 40 nights a year in the DC area...so it goes without saying that this is my go-to hotel.

Bottom line up front, this is my favorite overall hotel. The location is phenomenal, the hotel itself is very new, and most importantly the staff are just fantastic. When I check in, I'm greeted like I'm a returning friend. When I go downstairs and have breakfast, Tigi and company treat me like gold. (I don't know that I've ever seen Tigi NOT smiling. She is just awesome.) When I have encountered some minor issues (to be expected when on the road so often), they quickly address my concern and make it right.

I really can't say enough good things about this hotel. New fitness facility, super comfortable beds, friendly staff, excellent location, etc etc.

Kudos to all who make this property my favorite place to stay. It feels good to have a home away from home.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Thanks to Ali Ashkiani, Night Manager, for always being attentive to customer service and treating guest as they are the only person in the world at that moment. He is why I continue to return to the Hilton Garden Inn!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Spent Memorial Day weekend at this hotel. I was pleased with the hotel. Clean. Well appointed for this level of hotel. Yes, you pay for breakfast but this is not the typical lack luster hotel breakfast. This was actually a very good breakfast, omelets made to order, smoked salmon, pastries, and of course the staples such as bagels, scrambled eggs (properly done and not dry and overcooked). This is a GREAT location if you are visiting DC but want to stay across the Potomac in Arlington. A variety of good restaurants and shopping all within walking distance. Very safe. Very clean. Very up to date. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Kansas City, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

**The location of this Hilton Garden Inn was awesome. The hotle itself was expected. The staff was NOT PRESENT, NOT EXCITED, NOT RESPONSIVE. The housekeepers were more concerned about interrupting us to clean the room so they could get off work early. Then they half cleaned the room. The bed was saggy and created old back/neck issures.When you work so hard to be loyal to a hotel brand, you at least expect the staff to do the same. Very disappointing stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We were here Memorial Day weekend and the hotel was in a perfect location, clean and staff was really nice.

Only drawbacks:
-bed was hard as a rock
-$12-$15 per person for breakfast (note, breakfast was pretty good)
-inability to print PowerPoint presentation

Would I revisit, more than likely yes.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Arlington/Shirlington? Share your experiences!