“Business but not Pleasure” 3 of 5 stars

Bed and Breakfast Deal
Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Long Beach, California
“Business but not Pleasure”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The hotel was chosen through business arrangements, which is normally not the way I travel. Situated in the Shirlington area, the hotel is not near any Metro lines. However, the hotel does provide complimentary shuttles between DCA and to the Pentagon Mall. I was fortunate that the shuttle was waiting at the curb when I arrived since I called them when the plane landed at DCA. Upon check-in, I was not greeted warmly and was informed that my preferences as a Hilton Honors member could not be fulfilled since the hotel was full. Fortunately, I was situated in a room next to my travel partner. The lobby area was well-lighted and furnished with a flat screen TV and complimentary cookies and coffee service. There were also a selection of wines although the bottles were empty for my entire 3 day stay. The room was ample with an extremely firm king bed and a proportionally small flat screen TV. Fortunately, there was free wifi through the Hilton or ATT hotspot. The bathroom was small although adequate with the usual array of Neutrogena products. Although I did not use the facilities due to time constraints, there was a well-equipped gym and spa, a business center, and a restaurant. Nearby, there was a reasonable selection of restaurants, a market, and a movie theatre. Apparently, there was a great bakery but unfortunately, I was adhering to my diet. My travel companion and I enjoyed a nearby Thai restaurant late one evening.

I was informed by another person in our group that upon her late arrival, she was told that her pre-paid room was given to someone else. When she insisted, they gave her room that was apparently occupied as she noticed someone sleeping on the bed. Finally, they offered her a room that was assigned to someone else that had not arrived yet. She also had tremendous difficulties with her shuttle driver who was a new and unfamiliar with the area. The remainder of our stay was pleasant and the other staff members were cordial and accommodated to my needs.

Having travelled to DC for other business related events, I prefer to stay closer to the capitol. Overall, the hotel is a decent option for those with a desire to remain in the Shirlington area.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor with a street view and away from the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Saginaw, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was a great stay for me. Had to go to DC for work and staying at this hotel was just wonderful. To come back to the Villages, the community, the hotel was very restful and pleasant. The staff were all very nice and the location was excellent!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

new york, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful little property that is convenient to DC, Northern Virginia and Maryland, and is located within a terrific shopping, arts, dining and residential village.

I was expecting a clean, comfortable room. What I got was warm, welcoming greetings and impeccably-arranged transportation logistics for my meetings the next day. Also a fun breakfast in the lovely large dining room, along with signature excellent service.

This is a great option for DC-area visitors, and we won't hesitate to return.

• Stayed April 2013
Christopher N, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Arlington/Shirlington, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Hello Lewis,

Thank you for your the review! It's always great to hear that we have not only met our guests' expectations, we have exceeded them. Should your travels bring you back this way, please look us up once again. We would love to welcome you back.
Arlington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Hilton Garden Inn at Shirlington not a bad place to stay but room staff needs to pay attention to detail. Found cookie crumbs on night stand next to chair which makes me wonder about cleanliness of rest of room.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

St. Albans
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I am probably a naive European traveller, but charging US$ 25 for a 10 minute land-line call (in country, out of state) is disgraceful. I raised this with the front desk during check out and she mentioned that it 'could indeed be expensive' and that she had no access to the phone records so could not confirm the exact reason.... nice!

The internet connection is very slow and kept dropping my Skype calls (which is why I had to use the land-line). There is also no safe in the room so if you have anything of value (laptop, travel money, iPad) then you have to drop that off at the front desk.... every time. Very inconvenient. The fridge in my room also made a lot of noise during the night, so I had to turn it off completely.

Anyway, other than the phone charge, this is a perfectly fine hotel in a great area with many restaurants at walking distance, which is a nice change from the usual highway you tend to find near these hotels. Unlike some reviewers I had no problem whatsoever with the parking arrangements.

The desk in each room comes with a nice ergonomic Herman Miller chair, so if you have to do some work from your hotel room then that is no problem (other than the dinky internet connection)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your very helpful feedback. We are very sorry to hear that your recent stay with us was not perfect. I have to agree that the though the charges to make a telephone call from the hotel room are quite high, they are, in fact, right in line with what many hotels are charging these days. Hotels are at the mercy of their long distance carriers and it is indeed a shame when we have to pass on these costs to our guests.

Internet speed does lag in the hotel during peak hours in the morning and late afternoon. We are making strides to overcome this challenge and hope that, should you return back to us in the future, this problem will have been resolved.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Several good restaurants just outside the door, very nice and clean area for traveling with kids. Grocery store across the street, movie theater in the other side. A $20 can ride brought us to the capital mall or the Hilton complimentary shuttle to the metro. Friendly staff, 24 hour complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby, cookies for the kids and ice water. For the price and conveniences there isn't anything negative I can say. Parking voucher included, wifi complimentary and a nice hot breakfast(we purchased a breakfast package promo and it was well worth it). We will stay there again when we visit Washington.

• Stayed April 2013
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I use to live in Arlington, VA and I go back quite often. I have stayed at the Hilton Garden located in Shrlington, VA several times. Its close to DC without having to be in DC. The parking is free, but it's a little awkward. You have to park in the parking structure located across the street where the Harris Teeter store is. So if you have alot of luggage I would suggest you check in and take your luggage up to your room before parking. There are many nice restaurants located within walking distance of the hotel. Guapas (Mexican is a very good Tex Mex), Bonsai (Japanese) has wonderful sushi. During the day, in the main lobby, the staff puts coffee, juice and some pastries out for the guest. The rooms are nice and large. The business center (which is free) has 2 computers, printers and just about whatever you need. For you smokers (I smoke) there is an area with tables and umbrellas located by the bar where you can have a cigarette or smoke a cigar. If you chose not to rent a car, they will drop you off and PICK YOU UP within 2 miles of the hotel. So you can catch the subway to do your sightseeing. Remember to get the hotel business card so you can call them to pick you up at a location within the 2 mile radius.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Arlington/Shirlington? Share your experiences!