“Couldn't beat it for the price, nice breakfast, indoor pool and hot tub, free parking, clean and safe walking neighborhood for f” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Arlington/Shirlington

Special Offer
2X Points Package
Ranked #1 of 47 hotels in Arlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Several good restaurants just outside the door, very nice and clean area for traveling with kids. Grocery store across the street, movie theater in the other side. A $20 can ride brought us to the capital mall or the Hilton complimentary shuttle to the metro. Friendly staff, 24 hour complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby, cookies for the kids and ice water. For the price and conveniences there isn't anything negative I can say. Parking voucher included, wifi complimentary and a nice hot breakfast(we purchased a breakfast package promo and it was well worth it). We will stay there again when we visit Washington.

• Stayed April 2013

532 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I use to live in Arlington, VA and I go back quite often. I have stayed at the Hilton Garden located in Shrlington, VA several times. Its close to DC without having to be in DC. The parking is free, but it's a little awkward. You have to park in the parking structure located across the street where the Harris Teeter store is. So if you have alot of luggage I would suggest you check in and take your luggage up to your room before parking. There are many nice restaurants located within walking distance of the hotel. Guapas (Mexican is a very good Tex Mex), Bonsai (Japanese) has wonderful sushi. During the day, in the main lobby, the staff puts coffee, juice and some pastries out for the guest. The rooms are nice and large. The business center (which is free) has 2 computers, printers and just about whatever you need. For you smokers (I smoke) there is an area with tables and umbrellas located by the bar where you can have a cigarette or smoke a cigar. If you chose not to rent a car, they will drop you off and PICK YOU UP within 2 miles of the hotel. So you can catch the subway to do your sightseeing. Remember to get the hotel business card so you can call them to pick you up at a location within the 2 mile radius.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I was in the area for a training conference, and got a great rate here through a website. The hotel was very nice, the staff was great, and the area around the hotel is wonderful for entertainment, with restaurants, movie theaters, shops, all within easy walking distance. There was a shuttle to the metro station, and getting into DC was no problem on the freeway, access about a minute away. I drove, and discovered that the hotel has a real problem with parking. They use a garage a block away that is shared by the retail in the area, and an apartment complex right across the street. I returned at around 10 on a Saturday night, only to spend more than 20 minutes looking for a place to park, because all of the hotel spaces, on the fourth floor of the garage, were taken. I had a permit, and there were several cars parked in the hotel area that did not, but I was told that I couldn't park in the reserved spots for apartment residents, and the retail section on the first and second level was jammed with people in the restaurants and businesses in the area. I was tired from a day of sitting in seminars, and all I wanted to do was get to my room to sleep, but I spent the better part of the hour between 10 and 11 resolving the parking problem.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were in the D. C. area petal peeping , Cherry Festival, and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for
three nights. The room was large and comfortable, fridge, flat screen t.v. Although the location is a bit away from D.C. proper, the shuttle which runs between the hotel and Pentagon City is convenient and hassle free once you learn how to buy metro fare cards! We enjoyed coming "home" to the Village at night because of the many good restaurant choices outside our front door.
The room was clean, the staff friendly and helpful. The shuttle ( from the hotel) was easy, a phone call away when coming back at the end of the day. Would definitely recommend staying at this Hilton. Once you park the car you don't need it 'til end of stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My wife and I took our 2 grandsons for a visit to DC in April. We chose to stay in the HGI Arlington/Shirlington, and it was a great choice. The room was comfortable, well decorated, and very clean. The breakfast was excellent, and free for the grand children. The hotel is located in the charming Village of Shirlington with many restaurants with outdoor seating and a grocery store in easy walking distance. The hotel offers a free van shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro station, which made travelling into DC very easy, and parking at the hotel is free in a covered parking deck across the street.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stay at a lot of Hilton Garden Inns because they are generally of nice quality for the price. This hotel is no exception. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful, particularly related to the parking situation (see below). Our room was spacious and clean. The hotel is located in a walkable little village with lots of restaurants and a few shops. It seems to be conveniently located to DC; we were here to go to Mt. Vernon, which is about a 25 minute drive. Some things to note before deciding to stay here: 1) The parking garage is free, but not attached to the hotel, and it's a bit of a walk. Drop off your bags in the lobby before parking your car. 2) The pool is just a narrow little lap pool (the picture on the website is a bit deceiving). When we went to the pool, people were literally just sitting in it because that's all you can do in it. 3) The beds in our room (with the sleep number adjustments) were just not comfortable. We've had these types of beds before and they were fine, so perhaps it was just our particular room (which is why I give the hotel 4 stars instead of dropping it to 3).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Background:
Stayed here for a night with 3 other people for Cherry Blossom festival in DC. We drove to DC with our own vehicle.

My background is pretty important because I really like this hotel for the particular situation that I was in.

Positives-
Location- roughly 10-15 minutes from downtown DC by car because it's right off the highway. Not sure how long it would take by public transportation. (I don't know for sure but I would imagine you can make it back by using metro/bus combo).

Size of the room- We had 4 people, and it's hard to find a room in downtown DC with 2 Queen size beds. The room itself is pretty plain with average Hilton garden inn standard.

Value- very good price considering the location & room size. Hotels in Dupont circle are farther from Tidal Basin yet they cost a lot more.

Cookies- They had complimentary cookies at the lobby. By far the best cookies I've ever had. (other people agreed too). I generally don't expect much from complimentary snacks at the lobby, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Negative
The positives I outlined could be negative for others. For instance, if I took a bus to DC for a night, I don't think I would've booked this hotel because the idea of taking multiple public transportation or taking a cab among all the tourists just to get back to my bed is not worth it in my opinion (especially after all the walking around the mall).

In summary, very good hotel for families on road trip. If I were to drive by DC, I would love to stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Arlington/Shirlington? Share your experiences!