“Absolutely perfect for what we were looking for.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Deal
Ranked #2 of 48 Hotels in Arlington
Chicago, IL
“Absolutely perfect for what we were looking for.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

We wanted an easy, reasonably priced place to stay so that we could visit the key sites at the DC mall with a "home base" that was in a calming, pleasant neighborhood.

We were given a nice, big, CLEAN room with a great layout. You could work at the desk while looking out a window. The beds have that "sleep number" control (never used it before but it really seemed to work. Had a great sleep.). The sheets are the nice hotel sheets you get at hotels that are 4 times higher end.

The fitness center had Precor equipment (3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, bikes, weights). Everything worked perfectly and there was no wait. It was a spacious room and the ac worked, meaning, very comfortable while you're working up a sweat.

Here's the best part. Free parking, so we left the car and didn't touch it until we checked out. We caught the free hotel shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro train station which is a 5 minute subway ride to L'Enfant Plaza, an easy walk to everything related to the mall. We did it all, Washington Monument, Capital, Smithsonian museums, National Archives, Lincoln Memorial, all of the war memorials, Bureau of Engraving (where they print our money), the Holocaust museum, and the NEW Martin Luther King memorial. We didn't do this all in one day, but we walked ourselves to death for two days. At the end of each day, took the Metro back to Pentagon City station, called the Hilton, and within minutes, the free shuttle arrived to take us safely back to our hotel.

This site was perfect. The neighborhood, Shirlington, is ideal for visitors without feeling touristy. After a full day of walking at the DC mall, it was nice to kick back and have dinner among tons of people (though none of the restaurants had a long wait), al fresco.

They have a grocery store across the street. Cute shops. Even a post office.

Ok, back to the hotel. The service was the best I've experienced in a long time. Everyone was helpful, kind and generally interested in how we were.

Lastly: We got a great hotel rate, that didn't hurt either.

Thanks for reading this review. We love the Marriott chain but this property really turned our head, in a good way.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Stayed in the last week of August, the value to pice ratio is very good. The hotel staff was excellent, Dan and Adam were great guys, always courteous and accommodating. The breakfast was excellent with the staff always willing to go the extra mile, rooms were very clean, house keping was excellent, internet was a breeze to setup. Shuttle to and from Pentagon City station was good. I do not have anything bad to say about this hotel, I have stayed at many hotels before but this one just stands out among the best, and like I said before you are getting good value for your dollar. I would not hesitate to book again at this place.

Room Tip: best deals on their website
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Hampton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

The hotel was superb! The decor, staff, location were amazing. Very close to DC sights and within a community that has restaurants, shopping, etc. The hotel also had a breakfast buffet which was included in our stay - the food was terriffic! Definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Modern, cozy rooms.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Our seven day stay at Hilton Garden Inn Shirlington, VA went very smoothly. Nice, clean, quiet, with a wonderful breakfast, and shuttle service to the Metro. It features a small pool, hot tub and weight room that was nice sized (check their site for other amenities.) After a long day in D.C., we simply called the Hotel, and the shuttle met us at the Metro station within a few minutes for a short drive back to the hotel. Shirlington also offered quite a few restaurants within a few minutes walk ( I suggest Guapo's if you like Mexican) and a friendly atmosphere. The hotel is within minutes of Arlington, Georgetown, and many local faves including D.C. Cupcakes! Yeah Hilton Garden Inn!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

Stayed here overnight on our way back home to NJ from South Carolina. Left SC very early in the morning so we could arrive in time to check in, then go to Arlington National Cemetery. Hotel is located in a very nice neighborhood with a lot of upscale shops and cafes. Entrance to hotel is located on a small, narrow, busy street. We had to circle the hotel 3 times before we could try to park in the limited "10 minute" parking/unloading spaces. Husband waited in the car while I went to the front desk to check in. Parking is across the street in a garage, 4th level - no charge. I asked the gentleman at the front desk - Adam - what time Arlington closed, just to be sure. Never making eye contact with me, he replied that it closed at 5 pm. As it was 4:55 pm already, I was a little nervous, because I was told by a friend that it closed at 7 pm. I asked if he could check, and all I received was a tepid, disinterested reply that it closed at 5. My husband and I decided to go anyway. Lo and behold, Arlington was open until 7, and the parking lot closed at 8! Needless to say, I was steamed. If I had listened to "Adam", I would have missed my opportunity. When we returned to the hotel, I went to speak to Adam while my husband made his way to the parking garage. I asked him if he had remembered our conversation about Arlington, closing time, etc. I then told him about the 7 pm closing time, and how I thought he really did not go the extra mile to help me when I had asked for assistance. I received the same tepid, disinterested apology. I told him that I would have missed out on this chance had I relied upon his response - no reply. I then went to sit in the lobby to wait for my husband. After a few minutes, I guess he must have googled it, because he was then telling me this information FROM ACROSS THE LOBBY!! When we went to our rooms - the key card did not work. My husband went down to the lobby this time, because I didn't wish to speak to Adam again. he told my husband I must have left the key cards near a cell phone or something - which I didn't!!

Well, enough about that. The room was clean, spacious, and lovely. There was a large desk with WiFi capability - it took only a few seconds to set up. Nice flat screen TV, mini fridge, and microwave. They also have a pool, bar, restaurant, and pantry to buy snacks. We were too tired to partake in any of these, but they certainly looked inviting.

Aside from the parking/unloading difficulty and the disinterested clerk, this is a beautiful place. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New Lenox, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

The hotel was clean and comfortable. The staff is helpful and the shuttle will take you to Pentagon City for free. You can pick up a tour bus there and it will get you everywhere you want to go. When you return to Pentagon city just call and the shuttle would show up in minutes. Moreover, the shirlington area by the hotel has a number of great restaurants within a block or two. And what a beautiful area they have developed there it is a great experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a long weekend to celebrate our anniversary. We wanted to go into the city and friends advised us to stay in Arlington/Alexandria and take the Metro. We were a little hesitant about staying at a hotel that was not within walking distance to a Metro station. The free hotel shuttle was very convenient so that wasn't a big issue in the end. Our actual hotel stay was GREAT. The hotel staff were so friendly and kind to us and even treated us to room service and champagne for our anniversary (the hotel food is also really good by the way)! They went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed for our stay, accommodate our trips into the city and make us feel welcome. This is a fairly new property, so everything is clean and fresh. The fitness room is equipped with several treadmills with personal monitors and a few other machines. We didn't use the pool or hot tub, but they looked nice and clean as well. The Shirlington Village area was another treat for us - a Harris Teeter directly across from the hotel for snacks, a movie theater, a 'real' theater, lots of great little restaurants and a Carribou Coffee shop around the corner. The hotel is also located directly across from the Four Mile Run trail which is a good option for outdoor exercise. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel. The area and facilities are great and the best part is the awesome staff.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Arlington/Shirlington? Share your experiences!