“Great tent camping - close to DC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pohick Bay Regional Park Campgrounds

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arlington
Pohick Bay Regional Park Campgrounds
SR 242 / Gunston Road, Arlington, VA   |
“Great tent camping - close to DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Great campground. Very wooded and plenty of room and trees between neighbors. Very comfortable tent camping. Several sites backed to the large playground/area which I would think would be very nice if you have kids. Even had a washer/dryer (but didn't use it). Perfect location, it is quite but only about 30 min. to the Metro stop. Then another 30-40 min. into DC. Kate in the camp store was very helpful and know's her DC sights.

The water park that is next to the campground didn't look that spectacular. It had a few slides but that is about it. It was large and wet - which is part of the point of a water park.

Room Tip: Sites 32-38(?) or so - the back loop for tent camping. Around the playground for kid camping.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Manchester Township, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We love this campground! We have a pop-up camper and love to kayak. Campsites here are spacious and wooded to allow some privacy. We usually get a site with electric and water nearby, but you definitely need to reserve in advance for hookups. Sites have picnic tables and fire rings. Bathrooms/showers are fine, nothing fancy (it is camping after all!) and usually pretty clean. The park is on the Potomac and you can walk trails through the woods to get to the water. There is a public boat launch area with a parking lot with a small fee to launch your boat. The location is an inlet/bay off the main part of the Potomac, with little boat traffic (except for the annoying person who lives nearby and water skis there). There are eagles and other birds and wildlife throughout the bay. The whole park is very natural and quiet - you would never know you are so close to a major metropolitan area. There is a pool/water park within the park that is great for kids - they charge a small day fee. When you get tired of nature, you can take the metro (about a 15-minute drive) into DC or anywhere in the area. It is also very close to Mount Vernon and worth driving there for a day trip. You can also walk the trail or drive to nearby Gunston-Hall Plantation for a tour.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

We spent 6 days here in early June. There are only a few full hookup sites, more with water and electric, and still more dry camping. Reservation system is rudimentary, so when your call, be sure to keep records. Most staff seemed to be student volunteers. On the plus side, nice shady spots well spaced, among mature trees. Waterpark nearby for the kids. Boat access on the park. The Springfield-Franconia DC Metro system is 15 minutes away, and parking there is $4/day. Be sure to make a reservation if you want hookups.

Room Tip: this is an RV park, we stayed in a class A motorhome
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Mechanicsburg, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We were in town visiting family and spent a great fall weekend at Pohick Bay. We had a full hook up site. The site was level with a picnic table and fire ring. The interior roads were paved. A camp store stocked with the basic evening in November!!

It seems to be a well run park. The mini golf was closed for the year, but asked at the ranger station and they allowed our kids to play.

The park is also close to the Metro.

We stayed here in a motorhome.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Montrose, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

After reviewing the trip advisor review and doing some research Pohick Bay seemed exactly what I was looking for. The cabin I rented along with my mother and Aunt wasn't very clean ( the floor looked like it hadn't been mopped in a LONG time, but when we called and asked to have it cleaned they promptly took care of the situation), we had cob webs, evidence of termites, and a lot of bugs (my mother had to kill 4 cockroaches). The men's bathroom was dirty every time that i used it which was in the early morning or late evening ( I spent the day in Washington,D.C.) but the park manager said it was cleaned though.

The property of the park and campground is very beautiful and serene and offers a lot to do especially if you have kids and go in the summer time when the water park is open.

As suggested to travel to DC we took the Franconia/Springfield (?) Metro train but found just easier to park at the train station on the second day instead of in Macy's parking lot..just bring a credit card because you'll need one to leave the parking ramp at the train station.

Overall the experience was ok. The park itself was very nice but the cabin was dirty, and full of bugs, I wouldn't rule out another visit here but I would make sure it's cleaned and bug free before I go.. I did make a complaint about the condition of the cabin and they did refund one of my nights.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Springdale, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

We stayed in a cabin at Pohick Bay Regional Park for 2 nights of our stay in the DC area. It was a great campground...very woodsy, not like some of the parking lot style RV parks you see around. The cabin was nice, seemed quite new. It had a front room with a table and 2 chairs, a futon, microwave and nice sized fridge. The back room had a double bed and a set of bunk beds. (You provide your own bedding) It was air conditioned and also had a front porch with a swing. It was a short walk to the bathroom/showers. Each site had a fire pit, grill and picnic table.

We drove to the Franconia-Springfield Metro station o a Tuesday morning, parked at the overflow lot at Macy's and caught the Metro to Arlington cemetery, then to DC for some touring, then back home. No issues with traffic, though we did get a later start in the morning than we had planned. Maybe that worked out to our advantage. The price was great, we figured 'roughing it' the first couple nights wouldn't kill us.

I'll remember this campground if we ever come back to the area!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Attleboro, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

My husband and I wanted to visit DC, so I started searching for a place to stay near DC that wasn't too expensive and gave us the option of cooking our own meals. I had found a couple of campgrounds, which is fine by us, but wanted to stay in a cabin. I found Pohick by luck, someone had written that it was a "hidden gem". I decided to give it a try.

The booking process was simple, called and booked within a few minutes. The rates are reasonable, definitely cheaper than staying in a hotel in the city, but a little on the high side for a campground. The cabin was $50 for the weekdays and $60 over the weekend. I was willing to pay the price in order to save money by not staying in the city.

Before we got there, my husband and I were contemplating going a night before or doing early check-in. I emailed the campground and they were more than willing to help me. We ended up not needing to do either, but they were very helpful.

We arrived at the cabin and I was pleasantly surprised. It is a little cabin with 2 rooms and a deck, as well as a little front yard. The back room has a full/queen bed and 2 bunk beds. The front room has a futon, a table with chairs, a college sized fridge and microwave, an AC, and a bench. The porch had a porch swing and enough room for my husband to put his folding chair on. There was also a fire pit, picnic grill, and a picnic table. More than enough space for my husband and I. I think with a family it might be tight. My only negative was that the bed was extremely hard. The futon mattress was really really comfortable.

The bathrooms were a short walk behind the cabins towards the camp store. They were fine, nothing spectacular. They had 4 toilet stalls and 3 shower stalls. The shower was a little short (I'm 5'7''), but not too bad. The sinks were clean as well. There was a laundry room, also. On the side of the bathroom building was a wash station for dishes and such. One reviewer said there was not a wash station, but I found it right away.

Since it was October, we did not use the marina, pool or water park, but we did drive by. They seemed nice. It had rained the day before so everything was flooded.

As for the area, there were plenty of things to do. There were a couple restaurants in Lorton itself. There was a nice coffee place called Caribou Coffee. They had good coffee as well as lattes and breakfast sandwiches. A couple exits up the highway, about 10-15 minutes away, there was the Springfield Mall which had a lot of different things, and there were lots of stores in that general area.

Right near the Springfield Mall was the Franconia-Springfield Metro stop, on the blue line. It is the last stop on the blue line. We took it into DC on Friday and Saturday. Thursday night, we took a drive over to see how far it was and if we should buy advanced tickets. We did buy day passes so we didn't have to worry about putting money on to our SmarTrip cards. The day pass was $9, and it was good on weekdays from 9:30am-close (assuming so commuters couldn't use it every day and they'd make more money off of them). We had a tour scheduled for 9, so we bought a one-way trip in for $5.45, and then used the day pass the rest of the day. The day pass is extremely reasonable for the weekend, however, because you can use it at any time. $5.45 brought you into the city so you're saving $1.90 on a round trip, and you can use it while you're in the city. We also found out that you can park on levels 2, 4, and 6 at the Macy's at the Springfield Mall during week days for free. We walked over to the Metro stop (maybe a 10 minute walk) but there is also a free shuttle. Parking at the Metro was $4.50. Parking on the weekend is free at the Metro. The Metro was extremely easy to use. We have the T in Boston which is a little confusing, but this Metro was so user-friendly, I was really impressed. They have signage everywhere, as well as signs in the Metro stops for how long the wait was for your train. I was really impressed with the Metro system. The ride from Franconia-Springfield to Metro Center was about an hour.

All in all I was extremely happy with our trip to Pohick Bay. Very nice stay, clean, and very close to the Metro to get to DC.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Pohick Bay Regional Park Campgrounds? Share your experiences!